Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Binnatics, September 19, 2014, 08:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

thank you. :) Well.. at least I improved my scores and fighting but I'm still struggling with long combos.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

mandru

Sorry.   :(

I made a comment here and decided to move it elsewhere better suited for a short toxic rant.  8-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Holy moley, I finally made it above 40000. That first challenge really beats the crap out of me. I kept practising on 100-1 (reached 71 deaths or so, and went back to that first challenge, intensive training. It's hard because it's so damn tough to gather enough points. I finally managed. I decided not to go on with the story until I unlocked 5x = special takedown or the other extras, which might have been a better idea. But here's my results:

[smg id=7239]
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

nice :) It is difficult. I basically did the same as you and now that I have unlocked all those combat abilities, I need to pause a couple of days because I ruined my hands on the gamepad having played probably 40 hours with the gamepad. I bought a 360 controller because it is ergonomically better and offers more precision than the Logitech one. However, my hands (particularly thumbs) are getting better already so a few more days and I'll be back to challenges :) The 100:1 is something I can't yet master, the worst end was two gold medals already and 95 guys down when I got knocked out of the challenge.  :D :-D

Binnatics

Nice score so far. I got 2 medals once, but only knocked down 72 guys or something. Quite a challenge indeed :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

One week later, and quite some hours more experienced, I finally made it. Here's my best score so far ;)

[smg id=7242]

I got up to 175x combo and managed to reach 187.000 points with that, then someone hit me. It costed me quite a bit to make it to the final kill. I especially have difficulties with these MA fighters and the guys with the shields.

By the way, they kind of messed up the combo scoring system. In the earlier versions, a knife-takedown, special batarang combo ground takedown or a bat swarm would all add to the variation bonus. Now I can only make a variety of max 7:
Regular strike; Counter; Dodge; Areal attack; Special Combo takedown; Heavy beatdown and Ground pound.
I'm sure you could at least get an 8-times variety bonus, which was worth 5000 or something, each round you performed it.  ????

Art Blade

nice one, Binnatics :) I will have to resume gaming in order to try that challenge.

You are right, there is a 5k bonus, for a perfect fight (don't get hit once) and you can indeed add gadget variation bonuses to the mix but you have to be quick about them so they don't interrupt your flow.

Art Blade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwCCK1rYfvM&index=1&list=PL4MWlJdt_O4QnYHkzLs8lgvPIbWNVOQGK

the code above is a link to a playlist (can't post playlists here as the forum software cripples the link and only leaves one video)

Watch that guy. He's a speedrun expert and did the predator challenges in a way that placed him on top of the world ranks.  ??? :-X :)

Just one for the taste..  ;)

Batman: Arkham Origins - Quiet Waters Extreme (0:42.78)

fragger

Wow, that guy has it down pat :-X

Art Blade

hehe, yep.. the speedrun vids on his channel are equally impressive. :)

Binnatics

Impressive indeed :o

I haven't learnt that trick he does with that distant grapple thing, but it definitely pays off ;)

I haven't played any predator challenges yet. But I remember from Arkham city how incredibly hard they can get.

Stiku

For me, they are fast, but not impressive, saw 4 bugs being used on that single video, which in my book is a cheat and not even worth to look at.  :D

Art Blade

It's not his only video and all of them are record fast; particularly when watching complete playthroughs as speedruns I realised he absolutely did everything to be fastest but only with what the game had to offer. If there are glitches one can exploit, I don't call that cheating but a clever exploit of sloppy programming.

I don't know about those bugs in the video above but apparently they are reproducible because otherwise it would have been impossible for him to rack them up in that short amount of time. Therefore I admire him for being able to find those glitches and make use of them in this way.   :-X :)

Binnatics

I agree that exploiting a bug is not the same as cheating.

Here's my first try on the challenges with the electrical gloves (My earlier intends were all without that ability, and I wonder what kind of scores I could get making use of them in the 100/1 challenge, which will be my next step ;)
[smg id=7243]

I'm a bit confused though by the way these gloves w@&k; in the story whenever you have the gloves activated, you cannot for the sake of it perform a ground pound, something I really miss. But when in challenge mode thank god it does w@&k. I also found it kind of disturbing that the gloves are apparently something you don't have much to choose in weather or not to use them. It's almost impossible to keep fighting without a quick left+right click on the mouse, since a punch and immediate counter would already grand you the electric ability, which instantly activates the gloves. First, I only discovered the downside of them, since it's impossible to perform a ground pounder, but passing on I discovered the use of them.
In the end I'm starting to like them a lot, but they also make the whole fighting thing a bit too easy imho. You just smash through everything you discover, no fear for complicated enemies, they are all brought back the foot soldiers. Just a bit of countering here and there, and Bob's your Uncle :angel:
Finding out that it also doubles your combo multiplier (free flow) counting, it's a device you wouldn't want without. I will have to reconfigure my whole fighting ideas, and make good use of them for sure ^-^

Binnatics

Here's my first score with gloves in the 100/1 challenge:
[smg id=7244]

It doesn't influence the total score that much. It just makes the scoring go quicker. You also kill guys quicker, so in the end, the total scores will not differ much. What IS a difference, is that it makes it easier to fight all the different enemies, and thus easier to get back to high scores when you lost your multiplier.
First, I mean before having the gloves, I had to make sure my first free flow would be perfect, and a major score to begin with. A second would be harder, a third combo train ever harder and the with last 30-or-so enemies I would only get up to a combo of 20x or maybe 25x.
Now, it doesn't matter if I f@#k up with the first 30 guys, because the last 30 guys are the same. :angel:

What frustrates me about the gloves, is the fact that countering is different when in 'electric-rage-mode'. Somehow, the thugs stop their attacks more often, making you counter through thin air and, lose you combo. >:( It also highly annoys me that you can hardly choose to activate them. Like I mentioned above, a regular fight, especially beating up a heavy, almost instantly activates the rage. That can easily result in loosing a free flow because you didn't expect that to happen. :angry-new: The depletion of the rage is another thing to be aware of, which is extremely hard to predict very precisely. It's too easy to forget about caution and just rage around and then all of a sudden you slam your simple fist against an armour or a shield, breaking your combo again. >:((

I will manage this device in the end, and it will pay off, as shown by the score above, but I definitely think it killed the charm of Batman's fighting techniques :D

Binnatics

Indeed, it just keeps adding. In the following I managed to get over 200.000 in the first flow, that reached over 240X combo multiplier.
Then, when you suddenly miss something or get stabbed by a knife guy, it's a question to stay alive until you get over it and can start the next sequence.
I always feel a bit stunned myself when I loose a high flow :-D
[smg id=7245]

What I do like about the new features (upgrades after obtaining the gloves) is the double special move thing. It gives you time to repack yourself and look for a good way out of the crowd 8)

Art Blade

I just can't get my head around the fighting mechanics of this game. I gave up on the controller (game pad) and have started with mouse/keyboard. Feels a lot better for me but still, I can't get ANYwhere near a 100x combo let alone survive that 100:1 challenge. My best combos are around 70/80. Then I drown in a weaponized mass brawl and end up beaten, sliced and diced and hammered to a pulp with clubs and shields.

Binnatics

If you haven't practiced with the different enemies you will be faciing in that massive challenge, it's quite hard to react in a proper way. I have played for hours and hours in both the prequels and got really skilled. Now I had to catch up and get used to it again, but the basic principles are still there, plus it feels natural to dodge with a stun baton, to cape-stun with a heavy and to arrow-block with a knife guy.
That's what so bad about these electrical gloves. They take away the erge to really learn to respond to the different fighters you meet. And it also makes it quite hard to do so, because it's interfering with everything you do. They really did a bad job introducing these things, making the game PEGI-8-ready so to speak.  :-\\

It's too bad you cannot pull them off if you'd like. You'll have to start a new playthrough and try your luck there, before unlocking them. I would suggest that you try playing Arkham City, which I know you won't do. So they really let me down on thisone. Freaking Warner Bro's.  >:((

Art Blade

I know that both you and stiku are kind of light years ahead regarding experience with those batman games and their fighting system so I'll just have to be patient and keep practicing :)

Binnatics

You are right. But the practice will pay off in the end ;)

Art Blade

funny you should mention that. It just did, wahey! :) For the first time I survived (next goal: survive and get a better score) the 100:1 challenge. Here you can see my struggle manifest in statistics. Notably "34 combos" meaning I got interrupted at least 34 times for whatever reasons. Also, "highest combo 122" which I am surprised to see, so far I'm already happy when I get more than 70. So.. the free flow is far from being a free flow and therefore I can't rack up combo multipliers and that results in an unimpressive total score.

[smg id=7246 type=preview align=center caption="challenges 005"]
[smg id=7247 type=preview align=center caption="challenges 006"]
[smg id=7248 type=preview align=center caption="challenges 007"]

Binnatics

Nice combo's Art!! Nice score for sure! I wish I had reviewed these statistics earlier, never paid attention to those. Will do next time though ;)

+1 for completing this heavy fighting challenge within only a couple of weeks practice  :-X :)

Art Blade

thank you, Binnatics :) To me it's less "weeks" and more "days" because it was only possible with mouse and keyboard for me. I had to "re-learn" it as I was used to the gamepad and had never played the game with mouse and keyboard before. But now it actually feels OK, kind of like "now we're talking business"  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳