Destiny

Started by Binnatics, September 09, 2014, 01:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

Quote from: fragger on April 01, 2016, 06:42:30 AM
If it does, maybe it should be renamed "Density" :-()

:laugh: :-D :-X
LEGACY

mmosu

Don't know how I missed this thread - blame it on density  :angel:

Turns out last generation consoles are going away with regards to Destiny right now - they will not be supported with the coming Rise of Iron expansion in September, but porting over from last generation to current gen without losing any progress is actually a very straightforward process at this point. Also, I would mention that with each major expansion they have released a "legendary edition" that has included all of the content to date, making the cost of entry to new players no more than a full-price title would be (~$60 US for all content).

OWDKID's assessment of the game to date is quite good. There have definitely been issues with rewrites, shuffling of content releases ext, and there was also the issue of supporting old consoles that has now been resolved.
What has hooked me into this game is the same thing that probably turned many of you off - namely cooperative play on a large scale. I find the most difficult pieces of content in the game to be very rewarding and I enjoy tackling raids with my regular group. When you pull off a coordinated 6-man attack where everyone knows their job and does it well, it feels pretty good.
There are also regular events that bring the community together in different ways. The monthly and weekly (respectively) PvP events Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris are still very popular, as was the SRL (Sparrow Racing League) that lasted for two weeks this past winter. In October, the Festival of the Lost was a fun little Halloween-themed event that had us all running around completing tasks in masks resembling past enemies or NPCs. Overall I feel like Destiny is a flawed experience that I am enjoying nonetheless, and one that continues to improve and evolve in a better direction.

OWGKID

Yeah, the latest expansion drops the X360/Ps3. Rockstar also ditched last gen due to RAM limitations. Fans whose majority have no idea about technology are complaining... :D Can't believe they want games to w@&k on 10 year old potatoes...
LEGACY

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Quote from: OWGKID7891 on June 18, 2016, 11:13:37 AM
Can't believe they want games to w@&k on 10 year old potatoes...

^TRUTH!
Maybe you already have, but you should see some of the silly stuff people are writing about this change. The thing that I noticed early on is that they have already shown off some sandbox changes that last gen probably couldn't have supported. For example, it's going to be winter on earth now. The Russian Cosmodrome has always had snow here and there, but now it looks like it's gonna be everywhere. Something has also blown a huge hole in the cosmodrome wall, and there's a burned out devil walker where we destroyed one back in year one campaign. Hopefully the fact they're only supporting two platforms now will speed up development cycles as well, or at least make them able to achieve more in the time they have. There's gonna be a new raid too, which my weekly group and I have been drooling for since we've completed King's Fall dozens of times. All good things, no matter what people who are too cheap to upgrade decade-old hardware say  8-X

OWGKID

Yep, it will be great with last-gen officially gone :)

I hope Destiny 2 comes to PC. With 2 platforms out of the developer cycle and the fact that both Xbox One/PS4 runs X86-64 systems just like the PC, it should be easy to do a PC port.

On Rockstar's SC, there are still last-gen players asking for the new DLCs... ::)
LEGACY

mmosu

I remember reading that this was why Sony chose the hardware that they did for the PS4. After the mistakes made with the PS3 and the realization that developers HATED working with the thing, they thankfully chose a different path. Don't know if it will make a difference though, as Bungie doesn't have a good history with supporting PC.

OWGKID

Yep, but some developers like Naughty Dog and Rockstar managed to tame the CELL and we got games like the Last of Us and GTA running on them :O

Btw, since you're a console player, have you heard about the PS4.5/Neo and Project Scorpio? Apparently, both current consoles doesn't have that much horsepower so MS/Sony has to provide upgraded versions of them  ::)

Bungie is probably used to consoles, given their 10 year contract with MS to develop Halo for the Xbox 360. However, they have the opportunity to hire developers exprienced with PC development. They actually had a job listing for that last year.
LEGACY

mmosu

I've read up a little bit on it. Seems to have the console crowd a little nervous that they're going to start going to a system requirements format similar to what PC's use, where hardware needs to be upgraded far more frequently than it traditionally has in the past.

OWGKID

Indeed. This has never happened in console history. The 7th gen lasted 10 years, twice the average lifespan (3-5 years usually).
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳