The Last of Us

Started by ninzza, January 30, 2012, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninzza

JRD

???

Looks a bit like 28 days later and I am legend.

I'm not a big fan of survival  horror games to be honest. I played the first three Resident Evil though. This one looks nice... let's keep an eye on it! Nice find ninzza!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

I was about mention those very same two movies JRD :-()

Looks interesting, and might be worth checking out if you're into those types of games. I'm not big on them myself. But thanks for the finding the vid ninzza, very nice CG job there :)

JRD

The way the zombies or monsters or whatever burted into the room is very much like the way zombies behave in 28 days and the scenario outside the place where they are is very much like I am legend, so the references are obvious!  ^-^

I checked the website for that game and there's only three videos available there and nothing elese... no press release, platforms, possible launch date...  ????

ninzza

Like  you guys, I'm not a fan of horror survivor genre but I'll keep an eye for this game, because it looks interesting and made by a great dev, Naughty Dog.

IIRC there's a little game titled I Am Alive by Ubisoft which is also a post-apocaliptic game ?

spaceboy

yeah heads up guys, this is a PS3 exclusive made by Naughty Dog (who makes the Uncharted games). 

With ND at the helm it should be a very cinematic game with a good, character driven story.  That is the primary reason I'm interested as I too usually avoid "zombie" games.  Worthy of note is that one of the guys who worked on Enslaved is with ND now.  I really liked the post apocolypse in Enslaved, the greenery taking over the cities etc.  Looks similar with TLOU.   The infected in this game definitely remind me of 28 Weeks/Days Later.

Oh and ninzza - yep I Am Alive will be out in March on XBL and sometime shortly thereafter on PSN.  No confirmation of a PC version yet.  It is download only.  It's more of a sepia toned look than the lush colors of TLOU.  I want that one too - no zombies or anything, just humans trying to survive.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on January 31, 2012, 06:14:08 AM
yeah heads up guys, this is a PS3 exclusive made by Naughty Dog (who makes the Uncharted games). 

Thanks space, I almost got caught in the crossfire of the war PC and console are fighting... like I have with RDR, Uncharted and even the Joker challenge map in Arkham Asylum!  :angry-new:

Jim di Griz

Naughty Dog did a lot of research into how nature would reclaim urban landscape before starting this, apparently inspired by a book that delved into all that extrapolation stuff.

Another point of interest is in Uncharted 3 a very cloaked reference is made to the events that spawn this game. When Drake is in the pub in London after the opening brawl, a newspaper on the bar shows a headline about scientists being baffled by this virus.

I think they did well to keep this quiet considering how long ND have probably been working on it. Lots more buzz around this now that the release date is looming ever closer.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="396" height="90" />

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I feel sorry it's a PS only game. It indeed looks awfully good :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

I played it for 3 hours and traded it back, the 10/10's are pure hype imo. The story is great and the gfx as well, but the "game" is a bit crap.

This game is as linear as a tube of toothpaste, if they set it on a submarine it would probably have been less linear.

The stealth is bonkers, your companions clumping around and talking while you are crouched so enemies dont see you is bad enough, but when your companions actually bump into enemies and are still not seen is just too immersion breaking.

The much lauded Clickers are just annoying as opposed to scary, they wander around like irish drunks on Paddys Day with their big orange cauliflower heads on them and thats supposed to be scary?

As for gameplay, you will spend an enormous amount of time just crouched behind cover waiting for these fuckers to randomly wander far enough away so you can go and crouch somewhere else. As for combat, even if you had enough ammo for a decent fight, the noise pulls so many enemies to you that you can neither shoot them or take them out with melee style.

Fiach : Telling it like it is and f@#k the begrudgers.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" />

Dweller_Benthos

hmmm..... so that must be what the latest Penny Arcade is about:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/19
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 19, 2013, 08:16:30 AM
hmmm..... so that must be what the latest Penny Arcade is about:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/19

Yup, kinda sez it all really :)

Art Blade

:laugh:

let's say, it is really nice to watch that playthrough I posted because MKIceAndFire's non-commentary playthroughs generally are straight forward without horsing around and you get to see the story rather than someone struggling with whatever distractions. I like the story that unfolds while I'm sitting back watching it with a chilled beverage to wash down the current rather warm weather  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Interesting review Fiach. I wonder what will happen with the game after a while. Many say it's about to become the next GOTY winning lots of prices, but it can't be just you being disappointed there :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on June 19, 2013, 12:11:11 PM
Interesting review Fiach. I wonder what will happen with the game after a while. Many say it's about to become the next GOTY winning lots of prices, but it can't be just you being disappointed there :)

Well I guess its the last hurrah for the PS3, so Sony are going to make a big deal about it, but when a stealth game is that borked, it really shouldn't be getting 10's in all fairness, I would be inclined to say if Naughty Dog hadnt made it, it would be getting 8's and I would say it deserves an 8 for the story and character interaction. My nearest comparison would be Enslaved and I think Enslaved was a better game personally.

Art Blade

8s sound reasonable. Agree with you regarding stealth, I just watched a scene you described: "companions clumping around and talking while you are crouched so enemies dont see you" :laugh:

Jim di Griz

True, the blundering was badly realised but to be honest, once I realised the NPCs didn't actually attract any attention, I focused solely on my own stealth.

The other characters only ever fire on clickers/infected/hunters once you begin shooting, or if those enemies see you - I think there was one exception to that which a player mentioned on another forum, when Ellie later in the game jumped up from cover after two hunters had walked past and shouted "C'mon you ****** I'll kill you!" or something elegant like that...

Like I say, once past that blundering bit, the game branches out into all kinds of fun. I must disagree with Fiach's on-the-rails observation, certainly as you can tackle each map from whichever angle you like. There are also different options in most cases where you don't have to fight if you want pure stealth. In fact, if you play on survivor you'll have so little ammunition or items to craft, that stealth melee is your only option - that and running. Shivs also are best saved for locked doors, because you won't find enough scissors and tape otherwise.

As this is actually a survival horror game and the low ammunition amount is meant to reflect circumstances twenty years after the collapse. Sure, ammo will still be around but I think most of that would be gathered into hoards by then. As it was though, I don't think I ever ran out of ammo once, and some things I never got around to using, such as the assault rifle. Well, during my second playthrough I did, just to try it out during the last level.

There were a few outstanding maps later on in the game that were really different and fun. Notably the Winter section ones where you get to play as both Joel and Ellie up in the Rockies.

I also thought the story was connecting, emotional, engaging and well handled with some damn good acting - even Nolan North gets in on the act, as a bad guy - well he would, wouldn't he?

I'll be going back in for a run on survivor soon, for now though I'm back onto FC2 for another playthrough.

A shame you didn't enjoy it Fiach.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="396" height="90" />

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on July 11, 2013, 02:25:02 PM

A shame you didn't enjoy it Fiach.

I only played as far as the place you get your first molotov, but by that stage I was too bored to continue. Glad it opens up later, but I wont be returning to it I dont think, the main thing is you enjoyed your experience mate :)

Jim di Griz

All good Fiach - I saw that you had got rid of the game so guessed you wouldn't be going back to it. Ah well  :)

PZ

Although an exclusive to the PS3, the game looks kind of interesting The Last of Us - Story Trailer

Art Blade

I believe so. I just moved your topic over here and thought I might let your question hang a bit in this one  :-()

If you like the game, PZ, you might want to check this post (and the vid link) :)

PZ

Thanks AB; even though I did a search I could not find the post and did not remember it anyway.  :-()

I'm not sure about the game and am just beginning research because my son recommended the game as one being somewhat similar to the Uncharted series.

PZ

Well, after reading some of the opinions, I think I'll wait for a while, until the price drops.

Art Blade

How I found it: Go to the More Games: INDEX of Other Games (all boards) <updated>, use CTRL+F and type in "last of" and ta-dah..  :-()

🡱 🡳