Open World Origins/A Brief History of Graphics by Ahoy

Started by OWGKID, March 08, 2015, 07:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdV_2svrDVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyjyWUrHsFc

Two videos which explains the history of open world games and video game graphics over the years. (The graphics video is, originally, a 5-part series, but I didn't want to post all links to them so I decided to share the full edit version)
LEGACY

Binnatics

I watched the first one, about open world history. Interesting video! :-X :) Nice to see all these old titles. It pleasures me to see that indeed GTA III was the first 3D open world game; I always thought so. But what a way have video games come, from almost single-dot players to realistic HD human creatures :o
It's funny they mentioned Dungeons and Dragons. A 'board game' I never really got familiar with, but what tickled my imagination endlessly.

Great videos GKID! + 1 for the nice find :-X :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

I'm following Ahoy's YT channel and his content is absolutely amazing :o :o :-D :-D Thanks for the kudo  :-D
LEGACY

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I watched number 1. I don't have time for number 2 just now, but will watch it another time. Very interesting vid :-X I didn't realize there was a computer game (of sorts) as early as 1975!

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

whoa. Considering that today's doorbells outsmart the tech stuff of the 1950s, it's not bad what they pulled off there and then  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Fun nostalgic trip back into the history of open world games  :-X

Saw quite a few I have played, and that we have discussed in the forum

OWGKID

Quote from: Art Blade on May 20, 2015, 08:01:02 AM
whoa. Considering that today's doorbells outsmart the tech stuff of the 1950s, it's not bad what they pulled off there and then  :-D

Indeed :-D Btw, your avatar/GTA character looks like a WWI pilot  :-X 8)

@PZ yes, I have fond memories of GTA San Andreas as a kid  :laugh: >:D ^-^ I used to play it with my friends when I was in primary school  :-()

Yes, we have forum boards for GTA, Far Cry, Assassins Creed and other games  ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

thanks :) it says that it is a hat which you get from flight school. I found it cool when combined with that scarf and an old black leather jacket. :)

PZ

fragger

Yep, nice avi there, Biggles :-D :-X

I used to have a genuine British WWII leather flying helmet, still with the original goggles, many years ago. I found it in a small-town army surplus store on a trip once, and kept it for a number of years before I lent it to someone for a fancy-dress bash and I never got it back before that someone moved away, taking the helmet with him, and I eventually lost touch.

Lesson learned: Never lend anything to anyone :D

Art Blade

yep.. funny how people are nice so when they ask you a favour ("lend me..") you happily help out and only then they disappear. With the stuff, of course.

🡱 🡳