Recommended software

Started by PZ, July 25, 2009, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We recommend the following tools

Use 7-Zip (freeware) to unzip files that have been uploaded with the 7z extension
Use Irfanview as an image viewer with many options

Download 7-Zip from Cnet
Download Irfanview

Pac!ent

If you looking for really great image viewer, with easy use, settings and lots of features for simple, and if you want even for advanced features like filters, red eyes removal, crop image, change dimension, batch conversion etc etc, I would strongly recommend Xnview

Three years before I used infanview, but then I switched to the Xnview, and Iam really happy with this software.
;)

One screenshot from image browser
" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="500" />

One screenshot from image crop action
" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="500" />

edited so the picture size doesn't break out of the browser ;) / Art

Art Blade

nice, reminds me of an old version of ACDsee, many years ago, when it was still good (abstained from it since)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Let me add GIMP to this list.
Resize, crop and much more like filters, effects, image processing... a kind of free Photoshop.

Also uses the GNU license I told you guys about from the FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION

I strongly recommend you guys check those links... very helpful free softwares!

Enjoy  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Excellent additions - thanks guys  :-X

Here's another helpful utility for Firefox users that use multiple computers - Called Mozbackup, it will take all your settings, bookmarks, addons, etc. and back them up into a single file that you can restore onto another computer (or another account on the same computer).  Very handy if you have lots of themes, addons, and settings.

Check it out here

JRD

Been dragged into a new addiction: Photography!!

I`ve always been a photography fan and every now and then managed to pull out a great photo, but I always worked with film, which seriously hampered my development as a better, yet still amateur, photographer. (costs for developing films, difficulties to reproduce a good setting etc),

It all changed in the end of last year when I purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D5000 with a 18-55mm lens)... anyway, there I was, with a new toy and hundreds or thousands of images to play with (of which only a handful were good, of course  ::) )

I then discovered how GIMP (see a few posts back on this same topic) is good... you have almost all functionalities of Photoshop for free... actually many tutorial for Photoshop can be followed in GIMP and some are being "translated" to GIMP menus. They are in fact, changing their layout so it will be more friendly for those used with Photoshop.

But, again, I had my progress hampered... my bloody Vista is 64 bits, causing GIMP to be really unstable and crash all the time.  :D

I just found out they have released a GIMP 64 bits

Even though its a v2.6.6 there is a message poping during install that this is a test version and thus can be unstable or not even w@&k at all... so far, my copy has worked very well and only crashed two times and during startup, not during processing.

So I highly recomend this software for those who want to do in depth image processing without spending cash

PZ

Thanks for posting JRD - I'm using a 64-bit as well and have only been able to use it on the 32-bit machines, as you mentioned.  :-X

fragger

Have fun with your (relatively) new toy, JRD! :)

Slightly off-topic for a sec - I love digital photography, combined with good image software (I've been using Photoshop7 for a few years now as I also dabble in CG art). All the fun of a darkroom, without the expense, fumes, stained fingernails, and dark.

I've been using an Olympus Stylus 810 8 megapixel camera for the past three years or so. I was wondering about megapixelage the other day, namely: how soon will the number of pixels from a digital camera image reach, or exceed, the number of particles of emulsion on a frame of, say, 100 ASA 35mm film - or has it been exceeded already?

Hmmm... gonna have to Google that.

JRD

I guess they didn`t reach the same number of particles of 35mm regardless of ISO.
All I know is that above 10 MP, and even with 8MP as in your case, we have more than enough definition on our photos to make great prints, unless you want to print a picture of yourself in natural size or that sunset in the size of a gallery wall  ;)

I usually see and show my photos on digital, using either Picasa or Flickr or any other of those sharing sites.

Some of my photos I have printed in photographic paper in normal size (10 x 15) and a few, really few, on A4 or A3... I seriously doubt I`ll ever need anything bigger than this, but shooting a 12,3 MP on fine JPG or RAW will give me room to make it pretty big in case I need it.

Sellers will try to push you a camera with more and more MP everytime... that`s bullshit in fact, don`t fall for it!

fragger

Quote from: JRD on April 22, 2010, 06:40:41 AM
Sellers will try to push you a camera with more and more MP everytime... that`s bullsh!$ in fact, don`t fall for it!

Very good advice :-X Like, how much res do you really need?

mandru

I'd love to have a medium format Hasselblad camera set up which is pricey to start with and then add the  digital back (39 MP) but that would jump the rig an additional 14,000 dollars just for the camera back.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

You can print a map of your neighborhood 1:1 with that rig  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on April 22, 2010, 05:33:34 PMhow much res do you really need?

I believe 5-8MP are sufficient.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Although I use a Rebel XTi for most of my photography these days, I almost never print pictures, and for computer screen images, I find that my old Canon A80 2 MP is just fine.  In fact, the only reason I use the Rebel is for distance shots with a 70-300 IS lens.

GPFontaine

With some of the new features being offered from better image editing suites, higher res images will be appreciated more.

Photoshop CS5's content aware and edge detection are two such examples.  The higher the Res, the better the effects.

Art Blade

This post is obsolete, that video download program doesn't w@&k any more for some time now / Art, March 14, 2011

1-Click YouTube Video Download  1.5

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13990/

When I see a vid on youtube that I want to keep, I just click on one of the links below the vid which were created by that addon. Usually something like "FLV, MP4, 3GP and FULL HD" are available. Next to it is a round red icon with a white down-arrow so you'll find it easily. It downloads the vid using the format you picked for later use (watch offline).

No need to use anything else, just download, done.  :)

PZ

10th February 2011 - Fraps 3.2.9 Released

Fraps 3.2 brings a new feature for registered users - loop recording, constantly capture the previous 30 seconds of video.

To start the buffering press and hold the video capture hotkey for a second. The Fraps counter will turn pink to show that video is being cached. When you want to save the action simply tap the capture hotkey and the recording will continue as normal (including the previous 30 seconds of footage).

Never miss a moment again.

Fraps, or it didn't happen!

PZ

Comodo firewall is a free firewall package that works quite well.  You can easily configure it to deny all incoming requests, and stealth ports for a more complete protection solution.  I've been using it for several years, and the newest update is now available: http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html

However watch which link you click to download - the first one at the top is the free firewall.  Internet Security is their for sale product.

Art Blade

if you like to download videos from youtube, check this out:

Easy YouTube Video Downloader 4.0

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/

:)

nexor

I just spotted a method on how to use a DVD Decrypter program to play a XBox game on pc,
i'd would like to know if any of you guys have any knowledge of this       :-\\

PZ

hmmm... no, I've not heard of anything like that, and would be surprised if it actually works.  It would seem that the operating system on the console is different than on the PC.  However, if true, it would be really cool for those guys with both Xbox and PC  :-X

nexor

I found the method on how to do this, I posted it in the Senior members only forum.......

nexor

Maybe someone have a suggestion to a problem passed on to me (my wife) she is studying for some jawbreaker thing at w@&k, the study material is on a CD by means of a number of videos, my wife and a collegue want to know from me if I can extract the audio files from these videos. I know there are software I can use to do this, but the catch is all these files are .exe files

Art Blade

if you're lucky, those .exe files are self-extracting archives such as zip. Try a compressor program such as winzip or winrar to open them.. if you're lucky you can extract the films and then w@&k on them.  :)

nexor

Thanks Art will give it a try........

🡱 🡳