DayZ (standalone)

Started by Art Blade, April 29, 2014, 04:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Nice pics :) :-X

The house isn't new, however, I saw those several times in the past.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Today Stiku and I should have played lottery rather than DayZ. There was only one other player on the server and maybe half an hour later he surprised us: He managed to find us in the SW airstrip's tent town where you don't usually find other players, and shot me from behind while I was looting a tent. I was immediately unconscious (disconnecting while unconscious causes the character to die so I had to stay) and then he managed to shoot Stiku, too, which "only" caused Stiku a broken leg so he could disconnect. I just got to and tried to use a morphine stick on myself when that player returned to the tent I was in and shot me again, this time I died.

I spawned in a strange place: Shakhovka, some 4km north of Electro. Now I'm on my way to the SW airstrip again with sticks and bandages in my children's suitcase to fix Stiku's broken leg. So I'm fighting zombies with bare fists and opening tins with a screwdriver.. the usual.

Fighting zombies without firearms isn't half as funny. Bandaging myself.
[smg id=7062 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 126"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

OK, I was lucky that I found an M4 and a 20-rounds mag for it as well as a tin opener in the police station of Chernogorsk which helped me to find enough to eat and drink so I started to heal and then I went on to fight my way through a pack of zombies until I reached the SW airstrip. There I got most of the gear I needed and I headed to a barn in Balota where Stiku had left the server. We should be good again now. Took roughly four hours to get back to speed  :)

Art Blade

I was just thinking about the game and how we find our way from A to B or how we tell one another where we are. I don't know about you guys, but in real life I don't say things like, "I'm in the SE end of the tent area." Usually I don't use a compass, either.

When I was new to the game, I was completely and utterly lost. It then started to make sense to relate positions to where the sea was, as we usually start on the East of the map, where the sea is. There is also sea to the South, however. Then it started to make sense of making out where the sun was in the sky. At first we needed someone with a compass to tell where the sun was but now it's making more sense to check the server time before connecting. If it's morning, the sun will be more to the East, if it's evening, to the South-Southwest (should be West but hey, apparently it's not exactly accurate)

Sunset seen from the South by the airstrip.
[smg id=7063 type=preview align=center caption="DayZ 127"]
So now I'm able to navigate without compass if I can see the sea or the sun or both. The seaside is now somewhat familiar, having run around there so often and respawned on the beach numerous times, you can likely recognise which shore you're on and then determine the directions. In the beginning we'd say something like, "I'm in some green two-storey building next to the main road and I can see a church from here," but now it's easier, particularly in the tent town, to say, "I'm in the NW of the tents," meaning close to Balota and the airstrip or, "in the SW of the tents," meaning the far end near the beach and towards Chernogorsk. Learning a few of the landmarks and general directions helps navigating around even without a map or compass. :)

Binnatics

Your story about becoming used to the country and the natural phenomenons is completely how I slowly got used to Chernarus and its characteristics. The simple fact that the game will have no mercy when you die, and the fact that you have to keep yourself alive in a very basic way, is the most challenging and yet appealing thing in this game.  :)

I died yesterday and didn't respawn because I was tired. I left that for today. I spawned roughly 2 kilometres east of Shakova in a small town called Dolina. To my surprise there was even a police station. That helped me up a bit with even a gun and a rifle at hand, without ammunition though :angel:
Stiku popped up asking me where I was and he told me about his broken leg adventure. He described where he was and I promised to go looking for a splint or some morphine. I went West South-West, following the sun, and even discovered a new (to me) castle called Zub, 3 km straight North of Chernogorsk. I went down hill towards Nadezhdino where I luckily found a splint. I just told Stiku about my luck, when he commented he got killed by a zombie due to his gun malfunctioning. I was beaten by bad luck, but then I had the luminous idea to go loot Stikus corpse and save his goodies for his bambi appearance and, of course some for myself >:D
Following his instructions I found the exact location where his body should be. I fought of dozens of zombies there, his killer must have been one of them 8) but sad oh sad I couldn't find his corpse. For some reason it must have been vanished. Anyway, I went looting the airstrip yet again with the intent to loot for two, so to speak ^-^

Stiku spawned far away but managed to find an M4, so I kept all the coupled 30 round mags I found, and on looting the airstrip, whilst running from the ACT towards the East most prison building, I saw something grey behind some bushes. I was only half distracted, but a second later I realised that little grey didn't belong there. When I turned I heard the shot- BANG!!!! he fired his sawn-off at me. And BANG!!! again! I saw him and immediately pointed my FNX at him, shot and must have killed him with the first bullet in the head, because he was bent over and silent. Just to be sure I emptied my clip on his face. >:D >:D >:D
Victory!!!! Sweet revenge 8) :-() :-() :-X

Looting his corpse was a joy, although the only thing useful he had for me was an M4, a pristine compass and some Mosin rounds; he must have been still getting up to speed just like me. If he'd been a better shot he'd been the one enjoying himself, but luckily it was me this time ^-^

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Stiku

Weird weekend for all of us then :o
Atleast we got into gear last night, so now we have pretty much everyone geared up and running again.

Here's a couple of sunsets:
Spoiler

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Bonus picture, broken leg

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

TheAceness

Excellent stories - good to read and catch up on everything I have missed.

Looks like everyone has had an eventful 2 weeks in my absence. I've had to concentrate on finishing on college.

Good to see more players joining the crew in DayZ! Hope to play with everyone soon :)

I only speak two languages: English and bad English.

Art Blade

good to have you back, Acey :) It was getting worse by the minute, so to speak. I'm properly fed up with all those bandits.

mandru

Two questions.

Does the game maker provide private servers for groups?

And how many players would OWG have to have registered with the maker to obtain a private server?

If there's any kind of story line associated with this game beyond "trying to explore and kill zombies and/or other players before they kill you" I've not been able to detect it after having read every post here on OWG about this game.

Beyond being a big (very deadly) open sandbox I guess I'm failing to see any draw to what appears to be game play centered around the massive frustration factor of being knocked all the way back to -Zero- each and every time you die.  It doesn't matter how good you get at the game if the only continuity is 'Die and lose all your stuff'.  ????
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Stiku

Quote from: mandru on June 12, 2014, 03:32:55 PM
Two questions.

Does the game maker provide private servers for groups?

And how many players would OWG have to have registered with the maker to obtain a private server?

If there's any kind of story line associated with this game beyond "trying to explore and kill zombies and/or other players before they kill you" I've not been able to detect it after having read every post here on OWG about this game.

Beyond being a big (very deadly) open sandbox I guess I'm failing to see any draw to what appears to be game play centered around the massive frustration factor of being knocked all the way back to -Zero- each and every time you die.  It doesn't matter how good you get at the game if the only continuity is 'Die and lose all your stuff'.  ????

There are providers in EMEA,AMERICAS and ASIA that sell servers by the slot (1€/0.95£/1.15$), don't know if there are any providers in OCEANIS area.
Also there is a possibility to create private servers that are password protected, also you can host your own server which isn't connected to the hive that stores your character.

Game is still in alpha stage, meaning that there is only the looting, killing and not getting killed part of the game available, but here is what they plan to do with the game : DayZ Roadmap, but I haven't seen or read anything like a story in the game, though the objective is to survive in a group, in the wilderness, killing zombies, using survival skills to gather food and setting up a base of operation.

Binnatics

Staying alive can be very entertaining and time consuming when there's real loss by getting killed. Meeting eachother in the game and sharing stuff and helping eachother along makes it even greater fun. I don't remember having had such panic attacks when meeting other players in any other game. Of course you don't want to get killed, but when you respawn it isn't that hard to get back in shape if you get used to it :angel:
I'm looking forward to hunting animals and more variety in the weaponry and now that I read Stikus reply to your first post, I wonder if it would be possible to join an Asian server for us, or an American one. I'd be willing to hire a server for a couple of months to make sure we can enjoy this game together in a password-protected area where both Americans and Europeans can meet eachother and share the fun. (I think we can accept a bad ping if we can share the fun, at least I would) But I think we'd better wait with such an event until the game hits at least a beta state. ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳