ARMA2 Destructible environment... fantastic...

Started by PZ, August 04, 2009, 11:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Until I used the Lost Key mod to try out a gun called the GAU-12, I really didn't have a sense as to how destructible the environment is in ARMA2.  For instance, a burst from the GAU-12 will bring down a tree.  Longer bursts will bring down buildings, leaving only shells that look like war torn Europe during WWII.  Vehicles, trees, buildings, you name it, and it can be destroyed by gunfire.  The resultant dust cloud is quite realistic in appearance; I found myself wanting to fan the dust out of my face so that I could see.

This game takes destructible environment to a new level.  :-X :-X :-X

EDIT:  here is a pic I found in a Google search:
"The General Electric GAU-12/U Equalizer is a five-barrel 25 mm Gatling gun-style rotary cannon.  The five-barrel 'Equalizer' cannon was developed in the late 1970s, based on the mechanism of the GAU-8/A Avenger cannon, but firing a new NATO series of 25 mm ammunition. The GAU-12/U cannon is operated by a 15 hp (11 kW) electric motor, in external mounts supplied by a bleed air driven pneumatic system. Its rate of fire is normally 3,600 rounds per minute, with a maximum of 4,200 rounds per minute.

The Equalizer normally uses PGU-20/U armor-piercing incendiary (API) or PGU-22 or PGU-25 high explosive incendiary (HEI) ammunition. With a harder-hitting projectile and comparable muzzle velocity, it is more lethal than the older M61 Vulcan, and more effective than the older 30 mm ADEN cannon it replaces.

• Rate of fire: 3,600 - 4,200 rounds per minute
  • Muzzle velocity: (HEI) 3,400 ft/s (1,040 m/s); (API) 3,280 ft/s (1,000 m/s)
  • Projectile weight: (HEI) 6.5 oz (184 g); (API) 7.6 oz (215 g)
  • Muzzle energy: (HEI) 73,394 ft·lbf (99,507 Joules); (API) 79,289 ft·lbf (107,500 Joules)
(It has a sound like what Blaine called the "mini gun" on the first Predator movie - not exactly what the mobile warrior would carry...)

[smg id=1119]

RedRaven

new toys !!!  nice :)
have got into habit of taking most direct route with Tanks which is usually thru loads of trees :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

capture some vids if you can, I'd love to see how it looks in comparison to BFBC and DICE's Frostbite engine.  I know that destructible environments in that game brought a whole new level of realism and fun for me.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

will w@&k on that over next few days as i'm just dumping loads of addons in to test and see what to keep before fresh re-instal of whole system, should have some Tank-Tastic action up by weekend for you. but so far not found any good Tank addons so will just be whats in the game to start with. ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

What are you using to capture video dke?  Spaceboy, good idea to do ARMA2 vids to give people an idea of the versatility in the game.  :-X

RedRaven

bit of freeware called "Flashback 2 Express" made by Blueberry software. comes with recorder and player and gives decent control over out put paramiters. also Artblade recommended something to me way way back near when first joined but cant remember what it was called :(

PZ

PZ

Just for kicks, I put a YouTube video together (my first) showing some of the destructible environment features.  In it, I used the Lost Key mod to invoke the GAU-12 (25 mm Gatling gun) to test how well things can be destroyed.  This is the results:
[smg id=1121 type=av]

spaceboy

Hey, nice first vid PZ!  The smoke, debris, and fire look pretty good.  I have to say that second house looks funny because it just falls into the ground.  BFBC has section by section destruction but then again mostly RPGs or grenades blowing holes through walls.  - It could be the strength of that weapon your using.

I'd love to see a next one what happens if you smash a truck or tank into a building.   It could just be my late night eyes but it seemed the physics are off a bit like the car just jumped sideways instead of being blown over/up.

Not complaining by any means.  The trees in FUEL are made of solid steel!  I think we are still at a point in games where devs can incorporate different things but if they concentrate on a huge world like Arma2 they can't also create the most realistic destruction.  Or like in FUEL, there are certain things not up to par with other pure racers, but I forgive because I get what they were shooting for with the huge map and "I'm lovin' it" (to quote McDonalds).

More vids PZ!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Thanks for the comments, spaceboy!  Sometimes the movement of objects does look a bit strange, and I imagine it is due to the physics of the weapon that I'm using - the 25 mm Gatling is a monster.  The exploding rounds started sweeping from the left so that is probably why the car moved in that direction. I'm uploading another video, this time of the Hide & Seek mission that fellow member gvse put together - it is one of my favorites, and occurs at night.  I use the same Gatling gun from a distance so unless you've played the mission, you might not see enough detail for it to make sense.  There is a funny part though, near the end, the Gatling takes out an enemy, and he soars 30 feet into the air!

JRD

Nice vid PZ.... very didactic  ;D ;D

One can tell you are doing a demonstration video, carefully flattening a village  ;D

Weird thing is that the gun you are holding is a regular M104 (or whatever the name)... doesn't the gatling gun show up as it is?
I remember Predator when Arnie's friend also carefully flattens a part of the woods trying to hit the alien..... I was expecting to see you holding a gun like that one  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

USAF/USMC have them mounted on ball-joints in some Helicopters (thats where i first saw them years ago - but just tried to find some pics and seems nowadays they are mostly door mounted and fired by hand rather than thru cockpit controls, posted a pic of one from 70's with nose-job  )

[smg id=1124]

also little pic just for you JRD
[smg id=1125]

;D ;D ;D

PZ

Yes, when you use that particular cheat, it turns your current weapon into about 15 different weapons including a stinger missile, the GAU-12 and others.  In fact, I read that the GAU-12 uses a 15 hp General Electric motor to spin the barrel, and the total thing weighs about 270 pounds, so I wouldn't even be able to carry it!

I think the gun that Blaine carries in Predator is the M134, also called the minigun.  I put some of the details here.  You also can use the Lost Key cheat mod to try that one, and it devastates troops - not nearly as effective at knocking down buildings and tanks though!

JRD

Quote from: dke58 on August 06, 2009, 06:12:57 AM

also little pic just for you JRD
[smg id=1125]

;D ;D ;D

How thoughtful  ;D ;D ... thanks mate... a lego/starwars/minigun... really cool  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

:-X no bother  :-X
you mentioned Stormtroopers in post about winter battles and found him looking for old helicopters -  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳