Mission: Amphibious assault

Started by JRD, July 22, 2009, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

==========SPOILERS=============

As you finish "Into the fire" you are prompted to move to Progorodki and rendezvous with the US troops whose disembark you just made possible by blowing up the antenna in Pusta.
Its a cool level, you run into the village as enemies flee.
Jet planes wooshing over your head and armour blowing up far away.
There is nothig much special to do but shoot some far moving targets.. which is very cool  ;D ;D ;D

TIP: Run from tree to tree always scanning the surroundings. Three or four Chedakis will be in the house ahead of you. Find cover and shoot them down. As you might be running out of ammo (you didn't go back to base from "Into the fire" to "Amphibious assault") find the officer you just downed... hes got a sweet AK-74 with a scope that will make your life easier and funnier  ;)

Shooting targets some 300 meters away shows how ballistic works in A2... you have to use the markings on your scope (just like the Dragunov's) to compensate for bullet trajectory... now those chevrons are no longer pointless scraps  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Thank you very much for doing those missions and reporting here. I don't mind spoilers, to the contrary, it helps me getting motivated :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent post JRD - that's just the kind of information I love to read about.  Not a spoiler to me at all because It gives me a direction in which to proceed rather than having to stumble around, perhaps not finding what I need in order to keep my attention and make the simulation enjoyable.  :-X

In fact, it might not be a bad idea to start a series like the "Raid" series we have for FC2.

Art Blade

Probably just needs to add "mission:" or "campain:" to the subject... a little edit? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Will do  :-X

Mission: Into the fire
etc... is that it?

I was thinking about having area maps using the TOPOGRAPHY cheat PZ mentioned.
We can pin some interesting spots like "Chedaki officer with AK-74 (scope)" or whatever we think might be of use of members...
I'm playing a bit now (home early after a stressful week  8) )... will try some cheats and report back

JRD out

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on July 22, 2009, 01:25:54 PMMission: Into the fire
etc... is that it?

Yes... if we sort the board by "Subject" those missions will line up just nice  ;D

PZ

That's a good idea about the topography cheat and some sort of map - we might play around a bit to see how it looks.  :-X

PZ

I'm part way through Amphibious Assault, and have just passed the part where you are instructed to kill the sniper that is keeping Reaper pinned down.  There are actually two enemies on the flat roofed building to the north of the team, looks like one is a spotter and the other is dressed in a Gilly suit.  I had equipped myself with a Cheytac sniper rifle, so finding and eliminating these bad guys was not difficult - really kind of fun because you could scan the roof tops looking for the sniper.

JRD

Hey PZ... I'm glad you are moving into the campaign.
I'll have someone to discuss my tactics now  :)

Let me know how you like my mission descriptions!

I just noticed the first three "Into the fire", "Amphibious assault" and "Harvest red" could use some maps!

I will play those again, just for fun, and get some images together  ;)

PZ

Your descriptions are great JRD - after having played them I can visualize exactly what you did in the mission.  When I encountered the Dr. and the girl that was being victimized, I knew exactly what you meant.

I'm not as good as you though - I needed to use software assistance (cheats) to equip myself with the Cheytac.

I agree about the maps, and with Fraps always running, it is a snap to capture screen shots.  I'll probably do like you, and play some of the scenarios again (now that I know what I'm doing) and capture shots and videos.  A video I'd like to capture is the scenario where you use the laser designator to target various objects from high on a mountain.  That was a beautiful spot; the scenery was great.

JRD

I wanna try this one too!
Even when I reverted the mission and played it all again, having the laser designator for sure, my team leader acted as if I haven't carrying the LD, so I never did that  :(

It is a bug for sure, like the artillery one and may be fixed by now with the last patch (I hope)

PZ

I hope you can get it working - that is one of the best (most fun) parts I've done so far!

JRD

You'll also be able to call an artillery strike at the Chedaki base camp when you play "Manhattan" ... patch 1.03 wasn't out when I played that mission and I had to clean the area "by hand" ... was fun too, but next time I want fireworks  ;)

PZ

Yes, fireworks are great; I'm looking forward to calling an artillery strike.  JRD, the second time playing through, things went differently than the first time - this time I was asked to find the mass grave to search for evidence of war crimes - did you get this part as well?

Here is a video demonstrating the use of the laser designator in the Amphibious Assault mission.  For those that have a bug in the software that precludes their successful completion of the mission, this is how it plays out.
[smg id=1198 type=av]

PZ

Below are a few screen captures of the Amphibious Assault scenario within the Harvest Red campaign.  I'm still new to the game, and have not mastered the correct technique of deciding what to do (or more importantly, what not to do).  You are often presented with options in which you need to make a decision as to which path to take.  From my brief exposure to the game, I think that I should always approach the options with the "gung ho" attitude.  i.e., never wimp out when given the opportunity.  For instance, you typically have the options:

• "Yes sir, give me more!"
  • "I'm not sure, but I think so..."
  • "I don't think I'll survive..."

This is typically what you have available in your map
[smg id=1204]
This is how the communication center appeared before I set a satchel charge.  I was initially told to radio in the coordinates, but when I told command that there were civilians that would sustain collateral damage, they asked me if I thought I could do it with satchel; of course I responded that I could (one of those decision points)
[smg id=1208]
The view as I detonated the satchel placed on the communications center.
[smg id=1201]
Running at night with night vision equipment
[smg id=1206]
Encountering the mass grave
[smg id=1205]
Arriving at the observation point where I needed to make the laser target designation
[smg id=1207]
An example of what a target looks like in the laser designator viewfinder
[smg id=1203]
At the end of the mission you are presented with an assessment of your success
[smg id=1202]

Art Blade

interesting, and entertaining as well  :-X  :)

JRD

Excellent screenies PZ  :-X

Like you, I'm getting images of in-game maps using FRAPS. Great tool. Will update descriptions post with them the next days
Your view from up that hill is great... I remember getting there once, but not to use the LD.

As for your options... sometimes the game prompts you to choices I don't really get. Like the one in the beginning of "Razor Two" or some options to call lt. Marny an @sshole.... I mean, whats the point letting players choose something that is just dumb and adds nothing to gameplay? Why ask if you want to quit fighting and go back?

Art Blade

strange, really. If it is supposed to add to realism... imagine a real war, some officer asking "Alright, gentlemen, I'm afraid this is going to be really ugly. Are you sure you want to go straight in, hm? How about a sick leave? Home to mum and dad, perhaps? Don't be shy, just tell me and I'll send you home, no questions asked." Once the dust has settled, he'll be there on his own...

;D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳