BinnZ goes to 10

Started by Binnatics, December 16, 2015, 02:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Hello friends,

My recent struggles getting back into GTA V have brought me to finally buying a new operating system. Not yet sure if it will help me overcome my login issues with the best game ever, but so far I like it a lot. Makes everything easy, seamingly. And it looks good.

I bought the OEM home version (64bit) because I am not planning on renewing my system within 4 years from now. Better save the money with the OEM version because there will probably something newer by the time I plan to update again.

What I like is the connection between logging in to your system and your email (microsoft account). What I don't like is all the sharing questions at startup. It shows how this OS is adapted to the laptop-you-carry-everywhere-being-online-forever-thingy. A bit too hipster to my taste. BUT: I can easily choose not to share any data about my whereabouts as I desire ^-^

What I also like is the plug 'n playability of the system. I hardly had to install drivers because windows is taking care of most of that s#!t. Nice :)

The visual appearance is much more desktop as I feared for, so: so far so good, I'm happy :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Enjoy, BinnZ

W10 is my favorite OS to date, and have put it on all my PCs that can run it.  My gaming rig has a SSD, so it starts just as fast as a tablet, and much faster than W7 did.

Like you, I had no problem with drivers, and everything runs smoother and faster.

fragger

Nice to hear good things about W10.

The main thing that puts me off getting a new OS is the thought of reinstalling all my games and graphics programs and copying all my graphics files back over :-\\ I've got a shipload of them.

I know I'll have to one day, but I hate the thought of doing it.

Dweller_Benthos

I don't upgrade any OS, plain and simple. When the time comes to get a new system, I'll install Win10 fresh.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

same here, D_B. Get a system and let it do its job until it croaks. Only then get what is in fashion.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I think in upgrades, don't want to buy a new system when the only thing failing is software. Glad I did this time:

[smg id=8352 type=preview align=center caption="The Flying Dutchman"]

Yes, that is my new expensive yacht 8)

[smg id=8353 type=preview align=center caption="Hot Tub"]

[smg id=8354 type=preview align=center caption="Posh BinnZ"]

[smg id=8355 type=preview align=center caption="The Flying Dutchman at night"]

I Looooove W10 :-D :-D :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 17, 2015, 07:47:20 AM
I don't upgrade any OS, plain and simple. When the time comes to get a new system, I'll install Win10 fresh.

I formerly had the same philosophy, and ever since Windows 2.1 have regularly reinstalled the OS because the performance went south for no apparent reason. Until W10, I've not had a positive upgrade experience.  Of course, my machines were running W8.1, so that might be the difference, but in any case everything is faster, more efficient, uses less power (as evidenced by my GPU and CPU monitor apps)

Even though just an OS upgrade, all 3 machines feel brand new

Dweller_Benthos

PZ, when you upgraded, did it automatically transfer over all your installed programs? Does everything w@&k?

If you detect a note of disbelief in my words, that's because I don't believe it, as something has to mess up.
D_B

PZ

That's the rub, D_B, some programs won't run in W10 and those are automatically uninstalled.  Oddly enough, MS Office did not survive, and I had to install it.  Everything on my gaming rig migrated beautifully, even the games.  Started with 8.1 on all the rigs.  I did have a driver problem on one of the Surface Pros - it somehow lost the sound driver (driver was listed but no sound).  The fix for these driver issues are easy - uninstall the driver in the device manager then scan for hardware changes and all was fixed.  Once everything settled down, the OS works perfectly.

It almost feels like you did a reinstall as far as some programs are concerned and an upgrade as far as others, if that makes sense.

mandru

PZ, do they just disappear off of your computer or does it move the uninstalled programs to a hold file for you to reinstall them in an updated version?

I've got some really old stuff on my system that I'd hate to have vanish into the abyss with no retrial.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

The way I understand how Win10 installs, is it creates a completely new install and then migrates stuff into it, as much as possible. I still don't feel like making the leap, especially at home on my slow connection, a five minute download for you is two or three hours for me.
D_B

PZ

I think D_B is correct - it appears to be a new install with some of your old stuff there.  However, the install creates a folder which is said to allow you to revert back to your old system

It is a crap shoot really - I have old software (like FRAPS) that migrated perfectly, yet Office 2013 did not, and I had to reinstall

Art Blade

isn't it amazing that so called third party software programmers know better how to do it than Microsoft themselves.

I could imagine a very short conversation that starts like, "here, let me show you how your product works.." :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I plugged in my printer today for the first time since Vista. Win detected it, downloaded something and a few seconds (really less than a minute) I could print. That has never happened to me before.  :-X :)

mandru

My custom build with Win7 does that for me and has continued to do that through two different HP printers all without a hiccough.

Oddly enough Mrs. mandru's HP laptop with Vista has to have the HP printer's drivers reinstalled from disc to remind the two units how to shake hands with each other every time she needs to print something.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

Mrs. Mandrus experience is kind of like mine, having had to deal with vista for 6 years.

I was afraid that I would not like the new desktop, but to be honest it is quite like I am used to. The difference is that a lot of programs have their one-touch tiles in the popup menu that gives instant access.
I can profit of it, while I can easily avoid it too. Perfect.

The only thing I noticed is that the web pages loaded a little slow in firefox when they had complex images. But that seems of the past too.
I suspected winwos from not providing excellent support to a 'second' web browser program next to their new Ms Edge. That seems to be the main, most integrated web surf 'n search engine now.
But so far so good :)

Art Blade

PZ

I hated Vista and it is still on my old gaming rig - I'd need to purchase W7 or 8.1 and install over Vista before I could upgrade to W10 - might do it one of these days

On an aside, if anyone needs to replace an old laptop with a new one, I cannot recommend the Surface Pro 3 and 4 highly enough. Careful though, MS produces a Surface, which uses an atom processor rather than the i5 or i7

OWGKID

I'm happy with Windows 10  (the touch-like UI from Win 8.1 was an annoyance and the pearl menu would pop in when browsing on the web  ::)) My primary reason to upgrade was DirectX 12, native mGPU support and more intelligent use of the CPU is a must-have for future gaming.

LEGACY

Binnatics

Gea I read about the benefits of dx12. Seems like the new dx isn't focussed on the graphics itself this time but more to the use of the hardware. It probably means the biggest improvements will be noted on older hardware, since there's more to win with these new ways of using CPU power. When games start using it, that is 😛

PZ

Well, my gaming rig started out with 8.1 and the stability, interface, and performance have notably improved with 10

fragger

Binn, what's that thing at the end of your post? ????

OWGKID

Seems to be an emoticon from a Samsung phone. I guess Binn typed his post on his mobile ;)
LEGACY

Binnatics

Close, GKID! It is an emoticon from my mobile indeed, but it's an iPhone. I guess it only shows corrector if you use a mobile? I forgot to use the smileys on site  :-D

OWGKID

Oh I see :) Yes, the emoti shows correct when browsing this site on a mobile ;)
LEGACY

🡱 🡳