Infamous 2 review

Started by Fiach, June 15, 2011, 10:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

While waiting for Spaceboy's opinion, here is a video review of the game, I have only played the first mission myself, so theres no point in myopinion, but for any one thinking of getting this game, I think that this is probably the best looking console game ever released!

Oh and the game scored the first 10/10 from this guy.

Infamous 2 - Review
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" />

Art Blade

He sure was enthusiastic about it  ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Looks good - am looking forward to spaceboy's experience with the game - he's probably completely immersed himself  :-()

spaceboy

well I loved it.  I truly enjoyed playing this game.  The story unraveled a bit for me and I didn't find it as enjoyable as the first games story, but the gameplay improved ten-fold.  No other game mixes the right amount of movement abilities and powers/combat strength with weaknesses as well as this game.  You have these exceptional powers but you are not overpowered at all.  The battles are intense and exciting and the more you use your wide array of movements and powers together can really make for a lot of fun.  The ice launch and improved static thrusters along with the power line grinding can really make traversing the city a blast in itself.

This is the 3rd game I've gotten the 100% "Platinum" trophy on (Assassin's Creed 2, and Just Cause 2 being the others).  Obviously it won't be for everyone, but infamous 2 took what was great about the gameplay in the first and blasted it out of the water.  So dang fun!  :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Glad that you enjoyed it, space  :-X  ;)

Fiach

Quote from: spaceboy on August 10, 2011, 07:28:53 AM

This is the 3rd game I've gotten the 100% "Platinum" trophy on (Assassin's Creed 2, and Just Cause 2 being the others).   :)

WOW you've been busy! Glad you enjoyed it, I havent got around to it, been busy pointing and clicking my way through adventure games :)

PZ

I don't believe I'll ever see 100% platinum in my trophy list  :-()

Art Blade

I don't even know where to see my trophy list. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

The only trophies I've ever noticed are the ones on my console (primarily because the trophies are in your face) - never did look for trophies in games on the PC.  :-()

Binnatics

PC games only have throphies if it's GfWL game and you can get Steam-trophies in some games. I like getting all available trophies for games, but we don't know such as a platinum trophy. I think that's PS3-only ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Alright, then. That's just trophy-cal  for those console games. :-D

spaceboy

yeah the trophies on PS3 are like Achievements on Steam or Xbox.  The Platinum is your 100% (get all other trophies trophy). 

There's no way I could get Platinum on any game with an online component and I rarely try even for single player only games.  Just so far these 3 games were more a matter of continuing to play a game I really liked and then trying to accomplish a few extra objectives for some trophies.

That's where I like trophies is, especially in an open world game, when you get some extra challenges or missions basically to further enjoy the game.

Binnatics

I agree on the extra challenge part. In quite some games it works like that. But in some games the collecting dump s#!t is getting annoying. For example in Dead Rising 2: In this game you can literally use anything to kill zombies. And so they want you to USE every possible object to smack against a zombie. And then you have these combo-weapons: Really cool at the beginning: Some are very clever and you can invent your own by logical thinking: MMA-gloves + spikes = nice weapon ;)
But then you have to collect all available combos, PLUS all combocards indicating how to make these combos... please...  :-\\ Then you really need a walkthrough, killing patience and iron nerves to complete all the achievements.

The achievements I like the most are the MP ones. Most of the times you have to do really skillfull killing, like with 5 different weapons without getting killed, or killing sprees of 10, or other cool ways of killing (explode an enemy in mid-air with a stickybomb)  ^+-+
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

I'm not normally good at collecting and resorted to a guide for AC2's feathers.  It was the last trophy and it was fun roaming Italy.  Infamous 2 has a nice upgraded ability to highlight the direction and location of the nearest collectible blast shard, so it's just a matter of heading that way and since moving around is fun, that worked out great.

Those MP trophies you speak of are the once I'll only get by accident.  No matter how hard I tried, my skills will usually fail me for tough MP trophies so I just don't try for them.

Art Blade

There is one achievement I can't forget which is one that really annoyed the sweet Jeebus out of me: Collecting feathers in Assassins Creed. Oh my *bleep*ing god.  :D Out of say, 200, I only collected perhaps 50 then gave up. What a waste of time. :-()

PZ

As you guys might recall, my fat PS3 ended up suffering a myocardial infarction, and I've been waiting for just the right time to replace it.  I was in our local store Fred Meyer yesterday and was looking up at the PlayStations on the top shelf behind the glass.  I saw a 250 gb model for $299, and then the 160 for $249.  However at the end of the row was a blue box with the Infamous2 graphics on it and it was bundled with a 320 gb slim PlayStation.  I said to my wife: "Isn't that rediculous - that 320 gb model bundled with Infamous2 costs the same as the 250 gb model not bundled with anything".  "Oh for gosh sakes" she said "just buy the darned thing!" - so I did - the last one on the shelf :-()

Unfortunately I'm really busy these days so will have little time to actually get time to play.  :'(

Binnatics

^+-+ :-X

Great way of convincing!!

spaceboy

that is a good bundle though for sure with the 320 plus the game.  As you know I loved both Infamous games, but I think 2 is more accessible in and of itself.  The melee is 10 times better, the thrusters are better, and the variety of enemies are better.  Tons of fun for you once you get the chance to play it!

Too bad about that fatty of yours going bad.  My 80GB MGS4 version is still going strong despite heavy use albeit with a 500GB upgraded drive.  Our 2nd one is a 160GB slim which I got this summer.  Man is it fun to go online with my son in Red Dead Redemption and BC2!

PZ

I'm so envious of your online experience spaceboy!  I was able to do RDR in a private online game with my son, but even then it was laggy, and generally unacceptable due to the Internet connection on my end.  My old PS3 is the basic 40 gb version, and I tried it today with some success - it didn't fail - keeping fingers crossed.

On an aside, do you know the difference between standard sixaxis and dual shock controllers?  My old system had sixaxis, which the new one has dual shock.

spaceboy

It never occurred to me you still had the original PS3 Six Axis.  The only difference is that the DS3 added back the rumble feature, but it still has the six axis motion sensor as well.  Some license issue or something prevented Sony from putting the rumble in the original controllers for the PS3 (six axis) but they added it back in about the time I got mine.  I really like the rumble in games, many have it implemented very well with both subtle and big feedback.  Battlefield games do it great from tanks rumbling by to big explosions to getting shot.

Yeah boy if there's anyway to get a better connection I would.  Of course for me, my son and I are just on opposite sides of the basement and we can talk normally to each other while playing, but sharing time online has become quite alot of fun.  Doing co-op missions, taking on the undead overrun, or just free roaming in RDR is great.  We even sat down at the Poker table together (liars and cheats DLC) and plan to do that again.  Not sure if you knew of that one but it basically is online poker against other people online.  You character sits at the table and you see them shuffling, looking at their cards, betting, etc.   :-X

PZ

^+-+

I'd charged the controller and tried to use it in FC2 on the old PS3 which actually worked for a while before it crashed - entered a vehicle and the thing rumbled in my hands - startled me so much that I nearly dropped the thing!  ^+-+

Unfortunately my place is remote enough so we do not even get cable TV to come out - DSL neither  :-\

Thanks for the info on the Dual Shock - wish I would have read it before I entered that vehicle - my nerves are too old for this  ^+-+

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on October 02, 2011, 05:22:45 PM
  I said to my wife: "Isn't that rediculous - that 320 gb model bundled with Infamous2 costs the same as the 250 gb model not bundled with anything".  "Oh for gosh sakes" she said "just buy the darned thing!" - so I did - the last one on the shelf :-()

Unfortunately I'm really busy these days so will have little time to actually get time to play.  :'(

Nice find mate!  :-X

Art Blade

Hilarious read, that interaction between space and PZ  ^+-+ :-X

🡱 🡳