Game rating: Assassins Creed: Revelations

Started by JRD, February 06, 2012, 11:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Game title
Assassins Creed: Revelations

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line9It's a multilayered story featuring three main characters (so far). That alone is a challenge for any storyteller but Ubisoft, with a massive team worldwide, managed to get it right! You see the three story arcs converging to an end in this title. You play mostly as Ezio Auditore da Firenze in this last game of a trilogy in Renaissance Italy. His search for his past takes him to Constantinople after five keys leading to a library in the ancient Assassins forteress in Masyaf. Finding these keys will make him relieve the adventures of Altair, the main character in the first game of the series, from his early years as an assassin to the end of his (long) life as a Master Assassin, tieing beautifully the two characters. Along with that, Desmond Miles is comatose, also living a journey through his past while stranded inside the Animus which is keeping him alive..

I'd rate this game as 10 if it wasn't for when you actually play the game. What has been a woderful adventure game loses a bit of the thrill as you are mostly on a solo journey. The thick political background present in the series is put aside and a plot with a Prince, his brother, the Byzantines and the Assassins which should be the core of this game, feels like a sidestory. In the end you are seraching for keys and books but got caught in the middle of a turmoil.
Graphics10As the newest of all games, the visuals have been polished and all elements in this game looks great... textures, colors, buildings, facial details, light effects, historical buildings... all amazing!
Sound9Music and voice acting is very well done, as expected.
Game play8Gameplay departs a bit from previous games in the series. AC2 was a huge improvement if compared to AC1, changing completely the franchise, AC:B introduced the concept of a Brotherhood of Assassins and Ezio as a Master Assassin, but Revelations features the Den Defense part of the game which transform a third person action game in a strategy game but falls flat in doing so. Simply because its a TP game and managing different classes of assassins on rooftops to defend a den from Templars just feels wonky.

Once I learned that I should recruit assassins and train them to defend that den from attacks I focused in doing it just to avoid playing that Den Def again! Of course, training your recruits is so cool and varied that I can't complain

After having control over all dens in Constantinople I turned to the main story missions and that's when I realised what the game was about. Ezio has his own business in Constantiple: finding the Masyaf Keys that will take him to Altair's hidden library and to answers to some of his questions. The political plot doesn't really concern him and if it wasn't for Yussuf and the other assassins there, Ezio wouldn't be fighting that war! Most of the missions in the main story arc requires you to go after books and keys. Sometimes people helping you will be involved in other matters and you'll find yourself helping them just to get what you want... books and keys!
Replay value7I'll play it one more time for the back story and the graphics but will not do all den and side missions and train all assassins... it's quite a long part of the game and, although very nice, I'm not sure I want to play through all that again!

Final thoughts
A beautiful end to an Era. Ubisoft managed to finish that saga with a great end and a cliffhanger that left me wanting more Assassins Creed... but something new next time... new characters, new locations, new game mechanics, new weapons, new assassins...........
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Nicely written, JRD - makes me want to play the game again  ;)

Starting a short while ago in AC2, I'm now finished with ACB, but I'm not ready to leave Rome just yet, so am doing the side missions.  My character in AC2 still has all of the side missions to do, and I'm looking forward to that one of these days.

As I was playing the ACB the other day, I'm leaning toward the thought that this series of games has become my all-time favorite, and I recall the time when you guys were convincing me to give it a try.  Man, I am sure glad that I did.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on February 06, 2012, 01:04:44 PM
I I recall the time when you guys were convincing me to give it a try.  Man, I am sure glad that I did.

Hail, hail OWG!!!  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳