Game rating: Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) for PC

Started by Art Blade, June 24, 2011, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Game title
Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) for PC

Category            Rating            Comments
Story line6Who cares about the story, it is THE sequel of Duke Nukem 3D. It's a shooter. The story is basically kicking off where D3D finished (scoring a field goal across a football stadium using the eye of an alien boss). The story leads you through various places, starting with Duke's king size apartment in his massive skyscraper that contains its own Duke museum and a TV station, through Duke Burgers, Duke Nukem's "Titty Town" strip club, a western ghost town, a highway, a massive dam, an alien hive and more. It's more or less random stuff to keep various locations stitched together, the story itself can be summed up as follows: "Find and kill all those alien invaders." ;D
Graphics7Well, they started creating it 1996.. and changed the game engine a couple of times: Build engine, quake 1, quake 2, and finally stayed with the well-known Unreal engine, if modified, version 2.5 -- Not exactly today's standard, but heck, I've seen worse with today's standards. All in all, the game is more pleasant to the eye than I would have expected. The mixture of old and new graphics and all the stuff they came up with during almost 15 years is an experience I wouldn't want to miss. Nice :)
Sound7Voice acting: At least the original English version shines because of the original Duke voice by Jon St. John who got surprised when they called him: "Hell has finally frozen over." ^+-+

Generally speaking, the sound is working well. Guns go bang, water goes splash, and I understand spoken language well. Engine sounds are nice, ambience is always present and everything seems to be just alright.

Music: The original score is by Megadeth.. Let's Rock, Baby!
Game play9Simple to configure, use and play. Quick loading times (I hear consoles take awfully long to load levels and checkpoint saves) but only checkpoint saving and only one save game. At least when you die, you usually spawn not far from where you died.

Walking, running, crouching and jumping possible. Mouse aim and look. Supports multiple mouse buttons, freely configurable keys. Screenshot function available, a rare feature these days :)

Linear game play but always either fighting action or a lot of stuff to interact with. Secret rooms and goodies all over the place.

Modern game features: Only two weapons plus auxiliary stuff (power-ups and explosives). Automatic health regeneration (stay out of trouble to quickly regenerate).

All weapons from D3D, including freeze ray and shrink gun, Holoduke and laser mines.. ammo crates to resupply, weapons and ammo in abundance.. everything we need :)

Extras (for example, the time line of the development of DNF) are unlocked after the first playthrough, cheats unlocked and available in the extras menu if you played through at least on normal difficulty. Every chapter (24 total) can be replayed by selecting it from the options menu.

Overall feel: Smooth old school shooter people have been waiting to play for more than a decade. Playing it is being part of great gaming history.
Replay value9Too many details to really manage in one playthrough. Loads of achievements on STEAM to be unlocked, one per difficulty level requires multiple playthroughs if you want to unlock all achievements. Too many interactive stuff you either haven't found or want to play with again. Mini games like pinball, pool, poker, air hockey and more are pure entertainment. The game is too much fun and too crazy to put it back after the first through.. you will play it more than once if only to hear Duke Nukem's comments again ;D And because it's Duke Nukem, after all, you do want to play it again :)

Final thoughts
The game doesn't take itself too seriously. It is a parody, for adults. Very high on details and interactive stuff. I was really impressed when I found out that a clock on a wall in game displayed the actual time accurately, it used the PC time!

The game contains everything that decent people would never admit, do or encourage: Explicit language, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, glorification of violence, degrading sex, dirty jokes, politically incorrect behaviour... in other words, mature.. as in FUN -- BIG TIME!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Wow... nice review Art... I see you really get the best out of each cent you put on it... as I expect you to to be honest  ;D

Despite the bad reviews I read about DNF, I reckon you tackled the game the right way: it's Duke Nukem for crying out loud... don't take it seriously, have fun and be glad it made it to release after 12 years... what do you expect it to be?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Thanks, JRD :) Of course  I am honest, I always have been.

When I read a couple of bad reviews I didn't quite believe they really wanted to play DNF. I think they wanted to play whatever next-generation ultra-modern hyper-realistic magic futuristic game, a wonder of the world of innovative programming and a superb graphical revolution. What nonsense. When you check out all game trailers and leaked screenshots you'll come to the conclusion that the game has changed a lot in between and the final product is mostly different from what we saw on the net until then. It is a parody and making fun of almost everything, particularly of the Duke Nukem cult itself, and breaking about every known taboo. I read a review, no, a rant, by a female reviewer who wasted 80% of a very long text on how she felt excluded from and thrown back by a sexist male gaming industry. ^+-+ :D Some people take themselves too seriously.

The only good review I found on the net was not unlike mine. The only printed (and a fairly good) review I read was on my favourite computer and technology magazine which was more neutral yet in favour. They realised DNF was a parody, not taking itself too seriously.

I am thoroughly enjoying the game and am already on my second playthrough  ^-^
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

fragger

Great review, Art :-X Your reviews are always way more helpful, objective and informative than those of just about any of the "professionals" out there.

Actually, I can't wait to have a go at this game. D3D was one of my faves back in the day and it's been a while since there was a straight-forward blastathon. Should be like a kind of nostalgia trip with better graphics - full 3D instead of the 2½D graphics in the old one (animated 2D sprites pasted into the 3D play area). Some of that interactive stuff sounds really cool :-X

I always thought the Unreal engine was pretty slick, nothing wrong with that at all.

I can't believe some of the sanctimonious whinging I've come across regarding DNF - like that person you mentioned, Art. Really, what do these people expect? This is DUKE NUKEM for crying out loud! Since when has he ever been a touchy-feely, sensitive, new-age kind of guy? I suppose the whingers would rather have Duke give the aliens a big hug, made them a cup of herbal tea, sit them down with a lava lamp and listen to some Moody Blues ::)

Art Blade

Cheers, mate :)

cup of herbal tea, lava lamp, LOL, fragger!  ^+-+ Your style, man  :-D :-X

Slap on the back for all those funny comments I keep reading from you  :)

fragger

Fiach

Nice review mate :)  :-X

You cannot review a Duke game seriously, to do that is totally missing the point, hence the crap reviews.  :D

Hail to the KING baby!  8)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Art Blade

The last massive update (some 400+MB on steam) presents us with two additional weapon slots (now 4 total) that have to be enabled in the options menu. About time :)

If four weapons aren't enough.. don't forget you can smash stuff and hear yourself go, "I'll ninja this.." (and other duke lines)  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳