Tricks And Tips

Started by fragger, August 18, 2016, 03:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I think that's what did it for me.

And another from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zimd7/psa_you_can_mine_while_flying_but_your_cannons/

Yes, you can mine on a planet from your ship. I noticed the hit indicators when I shot at something, but never bothered to keep firing long enough to get any results. Plus my ship weapons are all weak, I would think (hope) fully upgraded weapons would do the job faster? Or according to the comments, which I just read, it might not w@&k until you're close enough, and then only on plants & animals, not minerals.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I already tried shooting up, err, mining heridium columns and gold hills to no avail, too bothersome. I kept overshooting (with my ship) and couldn't get any decent results so I scratched that. Much faster for me to just land and whip out the tool.

This is my 23,000th post. How fitting, a tricks and tips post. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Wow, quite an achievement Sir Postalot,  ;) :) +1 :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Well done, sir +1

You joined only a few months before I did, and I'm not even anywhere near double digits yet :-()

Art Blade

thank you, fragger  :) And, keep min.. er, posting.  :-()

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Yep, Art keeps trying to keep ahead of me in post count, thinks I might catch up....

As for mining from the ship, the latest version of the low flight mod now has low speed as well, or actually hover. Yes, you can stop completely and hover in one spot. So, you can mine surface formations with your ship, but it is extremely slow. A weapon that can vaporize an entire asteroid in one shot takes 10-15 to blast a mineral deposit on the surface. So for some quick plutonium it might be OK, but for anything else it's not worth the time, just land and use the multi-tool.

The hover mode is great though, but has some issues. Well, it's the game that has the issues, but that's to be expected. If you get too close to the ground, you take damage until you move away or hold down the button to slow down, even if you're already stopped. Landing is wonky, the game doesn't expect you to be standing still when you try to land, and it will say there's no clear landing place even when there is plenty of room. But if you fly over at 30u and hit the landing button, it will usually land OK. Landing from low altitude is also wonky, as the game expects you to be at the default ground avoidance altitude at least. So, hopefully the mod author will be able to fix that issue as well, I need to check back on the mod page and see.
D_B

Art Blade

"Art keeps trying," that made me grin  :-D

fragger

:-D

Something to be aware of, chaps. There's a mistake in the "Install Technology" panel for the Exosuit's Toxin Suppressor - both the Tau and the Theta versions are labelled as Tau. The way to tell them apart is the Theta version requires a Gravitino Ball in its recipe. It still works as a Theta, despite being labelled as a Tau.

All Theta versions of the suit protection upgrades (cold, heat, toxin and radiation) have the same requirements - 2 Microdensity Fabrics, 1 Electron Vapor and 1 Gravitino Ball.

All Tau versions of the same upgrades require 50 Zinc, 100 Carbon and 1 Microdensity Fabric.

So be careful you don't get caught out and pick the wrong "Toxin Suppressor Tau" to craft :)

Dweller_Benthos

I saw that, and thought, well, someone did a copy pasta in the code and didn't change the name. I never have gravitino balls to make those with anyway. Right now I need the underwater breathing one as the new planet is about 80% ocean.
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

All Exosuit upgrades complete (except for Health Module Sigma, I'm having trouble getting hold of that one for some reason). I thought I might as well craft the lot, so I can step out onto any planet with confidence (there are no Predator Repellent upgrades though...)

[smg id=9153 align=center width=600]

A couple of points of interest here. The Aeration Membranes have the same coloured highlights as the suit protection upgrades (cold, heat, and so on), so I'm thinking of relocating the membranes to be next to the suit protection. I initially put the first Aeration Membrane I crafted next to a suit protection upgrade and it didn't highlight, so I moved it over so I could put the Shield Boost upgrades there. But once I had two of them together (where they are now) the highlight appeared around them in the same colour as the protection upgrades. So there may be adjacency bonuses to be had there. However, all circles are now closed around the Protection icon at right, so I don't know about that one.

The Shield Boost highlight is a different colour to the suit protection one, it's white and not a pale lilac, so I'm going to swap those with the Aeration Membranes and see what happens.

There's a similar thing with the Health Modules, which I haven't bothered with until now. They share a highlight colour with the Stamina upgrades, so maybe once I have all three of them adjacent to Stamina, the stamina circle at right will close. Bit of rearranging to do there too. It will be interesting to see if they actually boost Stamina as well.

Art Blade

funny enough, you don't have to test it as I already did -- although the colour looks the same, it's not the same. I can tell because relocating just one towards a bunch of the others didn't highlight the one. It's a bit silly with all the colours there are, that they picked identical colours without any relation between the two.

fragger

If you mean the Aeration Membranes, then cheers, I won't bother moving them :) But when I crafted the first Health Module adjacent to a Stamina upgrade, the highlight immediately appeared around it even though it was the only one there at that point, so those ones may be related in some way.

If I ever find that flipping Sigma, I'll be watching the circles at right when I craft it to see if there's any change.

An interesting thing has happened otherwise - I now have six health icons in the top left corner of the screen instead of five. The sixth one MAY have appeared after I crafted those two Health Module upgrades. I didn't notice whether it appeared after I crafted just one Health Module or both of them, or even if the Modules had anything to do with it - it may have been a Monolith reward. A message came up after a successful Monolith challenge saying "Your health level rises" and when I looked, there was a sixth health icon there, but I don't know if I already had it or not - the challenge came some time after I'd crafted the Health Modules.

I might save, dismantle the Health Modules and watch what the Health icons do.

Art Blade

I meant stamina and health as it was the last thing you mentioned in your post and only they have similar colours (pale lilac). I had health grouped and dismantled one stamina just so I could craft it next to the health. It didn't light up. In your screenshot some posts above they light up due to adjacency of the same kind (3x health light up and 3x stamina light up) but if you have just one stamina adjacent to the health group, the stamina won't light up.

"Your health has increased" (or something similar) was the message when you found a health blueprint.

When you play with monoliths or the likes, it occasionally gives you health back as in, it only restores your health -- it then tells you, "your health is at maximum" (or some such) of the amount you already had to your disposal.

Art Blade

Just because I don't want to carry too much or too little of the stuff needed to upgrade my ship's weapons, here is my list. ALL WEAPON UPGRADES plus reinstalling the phase beam. The materials for the Microdensity Fabric are already included in the list.

I MOVED THE LIST to a new topic - click here

Art Blade

This is basically what it looks like when you have only the stuff in your inventory that you need for those upgrades -- you need a lot of room for the ingredients and later for the upgrades. For all upgrades you'll need 16 slots. But they'll be PACKED with weapon tech  :-D I still need to fill up omegon and, easy enough, thamium and iron.

[smg id=9155 type=preview align=center caption="collecting for weapons 1"]
[smg id=9156 type=preview align=center caption="collecting for weapons 2"]

fragger

Nice w@&k Art +1 :-X :)

Well, I now have seven health icons. I picked this plant and a new health icon appeared:

[smg id=9157 align=center width=600]

I saw another one of these plants later and I picked that as well, but I didn't get any more health icons. I've picked them before and only ever got a "Your health is at maximum" message, so I don't know what changed to result in me getting a new health icon from this plant. Maybe it was the crafting of those Health Modules, that's the only real change I've made recently - I haven't had any health-related rewards from aliens or Monoliths lately.

Art Blade

Art Blade

Multi-tool:

The Railshot Adapter (mentioning the Boltcaster) actually works without the boltcaster. If installed adjacent to mine laser upgrades, it glows green (not red if installed adjacent to boltcaster upgrades) which means, it is a fully operational addition to the mining laser.

The laser will glow red and indeed, it does take out drones rather quickly.

fragger

Nice bit of investigation Art, cheers :-X :)

I've got nowhere to put it though... I don't want to replace any of the upgrades I've already got :-()

Art Blade

hehe, I think I'll drop the "homing" grenade in favour of that red laser  :)

OMEGON -- one way of finding it

If you're lucky, ship wrecks will have high level upgrades which require omegon to build them. Even though they usually need repair, on dismantling them, they'll still spill out 50 omegon. Those high level upgrades may be there even if you don't have any weapon upgrades in your own ship.

Art Blade

Speaking of ship wrecks, I found out something that will make you very happy, I suppose :)

If you dismantle upgrades of the wreck, you'll sometimes come across items like carite sheets and some such that usually fill one slot per item. Like the famous Dynamic Resonator.

Well. Some components require a couple of those items when you craft them using a blueprint. I think the programming is like this: one slot can either be filled up with 1/1 or 250/250 or 500/500 units of the same type. If that slot is going to be filled with a component that is composed of various items, of which some cannot be stacked, then there's going to be a problem telling the game to stuff that one slot with lots of mixed items, particularly if they can't be stacked. That is probably why they came up with special versions of those 1/1 slot items, they created a 100/100 version of that same item. You can't tell if you look at it, only if you hover your cursor over it.

And now the beauty of it: Salvage those 100/100 items and stuff them into your exosuit inventory, one of each type (just not to risk confusion) like so:

[smg id=9169 type=preview align=center caption="stack me"]

And now.. you have miraculously increased your inventory a hundredfold regarding each of those items. Which means for example, 100 resonators in one slot..

Warning: NEVER sell all of those items. Make sure you'll ALWAYS keep ONE, which, funny enough, will always be the 100/100. So, sell 99/100 and you'll keep it.

Happy trading. :-D

Art Blade

See pic in my last post.. note the amount of Neutrino Modules, here is how:

If you want to collect large amounts of Neutrino Modules and Titanium and other stuff like blueprints, KILL DRONES  :-D Run towards those barrels they dropped when dying and open them. There's almost always good stuff in them.

[smg id=9170 type=preview align=center caption="salvage drones"]

Tags:
🡱 🡳