Arma 3 announced

Started by deadman1, May 19, 2011, 08:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

Coming to the PC only in 2012, and with these specs:

ESTIMATED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
OS - Windows 7 / Vista
CPU - Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster
RAM - 2 GB
HDD - 15 GB free space
DVD - Dual Layer compatible
DirectX® - 10

JRD

They are not getting my money this time... unless they can prove they didn`t make a buggy, truncated and frustrating game!

I`m still want to give another try to A2 on my new rig, but with so many good games to play and more coming it might take ages!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I agree - it will be nice to see how this develops, but I never did play through ArmA2 - just experimented with modding and scripting.  My biggest problem with ArmA2 was the ridiculous speaking in the game - sentences that were put together like a criminal sending a ransom recording to his victim (many different voices each speaking different words).

JRD

The voice acting in A2 is just lame... poor development and attention to details (insert thumbs down icon here)

I played A2 up to a mission where the game turns into a Real Time Strategy game. After you hook up with the guerrilla in one of the pathways you choose earlier in the game, you attack a city and take over control with those NPCs for a small army. You then start building barracks and sentry posts with trucks moving in with supplies and you have to hold on an attack from the enemy trying to re-take the city.

Not only you have to run from one place to another but also have a RTS, up-in-the-sky view and have to issue orders to troops here and there.

It is so messy and buggy that I just couldn`t play it anymore... frustrating game play allied with a complete different genre of game (FPS vs RTS)  >:((
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

ninzza

PZ

Amazing graphics - can you imagine the horsepower your graphic card will need to play at that quality!  I like the music snippet - reminiscent of a piece I liked in ArmA2, and is a piece that I used in a script that I put together for the WWII Tiger tank mod.

ninzza

RedRaven

Nice looking videos though I think this time I will be giving it a miss.
In part I agree with JRD about the voice acting and Bug issues. I found playing ARMA2's single player missions to be a very different style of gaming than some of the more popular titles such as COD, Battlefield and such - ARMA2 is definitely more suited to those who want a more realistic Tactical Combat emulator than a polished military style game.

If I had a couple of super-computers to hand and a captive programmer then I could have much fun with A3, but I don't so I wont! 
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Here is another impressive video.  I've not watched it all just yet, but it starts with the player as a scuba diver - the player is swimming under water toward the enemy beach.  Once he emerges, he kills an enemy soldier and take his uniform.  This allows him to go into the enemy camp disguised as one of them!  The player then plants a charge on a boat, goes into the enemy camp and calmly drives away in one of their vehicles.  A few dozen yards outside of their view, he detonates.

Man, this looks kind of cool  :-X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEITUGo-AOE#ws

Art Blade

looks a lot better than ArmAII. The "voice acting" has improved, too. Same lines, but more connected, such as "Engage enemy, man, 100 metres" now uses the same voice and is spoken as if indeed recorded as one sentence by one person. A little choppy, but still, a lot better :)

Sandbox style missions, disguising as the enemy, customisable weapons including mounting a sniper scope if you like, environment that reacts to say, bombardments, is also nice.. not bad at all. Looks like what they promised us for ArmAII lol
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 06, 2012, 01:50:30 AM
... Looks like what they promised us for ArmAII lol

Indeed, and with the scripting that is possible, the fun is almost endless.  I took a look at the armaholic site yesterday and it is as busy as it ever has been.  The numbers of gamers still playing is astounding, and with new mods appearing on an almost daily basis, there is always something new to try.

Tags:
🡱 🡳