Cool moments

Started by fragger, February 13, 2015, 04:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I had one tonight. I just happened to be in a buzzer, and I just happened to have my M-79 grenade launcher in my Sidearms slot, and I just happened to be approaching a liberated outpost situated next to a river, when I got a message from said outpost asking for help against Royal Army forces that were trying to take it back.

So I came in skimming over the treetops and let rip with my M-79. Royal Army guys got blown around like autumn leaves.

I couldn't keep Ride of the Valkyries out of my head :-D >:D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Apocalypse now, fragger  :laugh:

Great moment, and I can see it in my mind's eye  :-X

nexor

Quote from: fragger on February 13, 2015, 04:27:56 AM
I couldn't keep Ride of the Valkyries out of my head :-D >:D

:laugh:

mandru

I've been going around replaying the Fortresses with the Outpost Master feature but first I make a thorough survey of each of their layouts to find weak points that I wasn't aware of on my first approach to them.

One discovery I made was that Min's preliminary fortress (not the one guarding his residence) has land mines planted around it's perimeter that I'd not encountered on that location's original capture.  Those mines not only knock a huge hole in your health bar it sets the entire fortress on active alert completely preventing me from using the approach I'd successfully used the first time I captured it.

After two approaches and two mission restarts because of those seemingly well placed land mines I threw my playbook out and went for broke on a new tactic.

Immediately across the road from the wide open yawning maw of the front gate there is a hillside that has several serviceable locations offering good deep cover.  From some of those positions you not only have an excellent view down the throat of the fortress but a clean shot at each of the two snipers where they are posted clearly above and far behind the imposing front wall.

I find the AS-50 sniper rifle (or is it SA-50? I can never keep it straight) that's found among the standard weapons kicks the snot out of the Signature Predator snipe rifle for my style of play.  It seems to be more precise and quieter because it doesn't instantly give away your position when taking down one of two targets close to one another.  It also carries a serious spike over the Predator when it comes to power.  >:D

First I cleared the two snipers at the back of the fortress and then a trooper stepped outside the front gate so I whacked him and waited for the rest of the hornets nest to notice.

It didn't take long and three or four other troopers shouted out a heads up to everyone else before they cam boiling out through the front gate.  It was a poor choice on their part as one of them stepped squarely on one of those previously mentioned landmines and blew away the rest of the response squad.  Three shots fired and I'd cleared almost 3/4 of the assault run.  :laugh:

After a bit of a wait another stay trooper stepped out to assess the carnage only to join them.

After a bit of a wait for reaction and none came the final wrap up came when I dropped out of cover, crossed the road and entered the fortress to find a sole heavy loafing about grumbling about some personal issue giving away his location and making him an easy target for a take down to complete the challenge.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Nice read, mandru.  :-X  I went in with a gyro the first time - landed high above the fortress and took out the snipers and anyone else visible.  They never did see me.  A few others were not visible so I had to go down and was surprised to be blown up by one of those mines!

Fortunately I survived and found a way up onto the wall where I could again quietly snipe the remaining foes.

fragger

Nice ones, you guys :-X

There is a sneaky way into Min's fortress. Nearby is a cave entrance, and after entering you can make your way up to find a back way into the fortress. It comes out on the same level as the main entrance, but at the back of the compound. I was able to lure a couple of the patrollers into the cave with rock throws before ripping them new ones.

It's not an ideal approach because from that position you can't see the guys guarding the upper buildings at the rear, they're above you. But it does let you take down a couple of the patrolling guards at ground level which you can't normally see from outside. Then you can make your way back out via the cave and find some other vantage points from outside the fortress to deal with the higher-placed enemies.

nexor

I was lucky with my attempt from the cave fragger, two choppers arrived the first I could take down easy from deep inside the cave, the second one was right above the cave entrance, which means it was above those guys too, one shot in the belly with my GL brought the chopper down on top of them  ;D

fragger

PZ

I like it - do away with all the obvious targets with the sniper, and then sneak in with the 6P9 to finish off the lot

fragger

I managed to liberate Border Observation Outpost entirely from a Buzzer with an M-79 grenade launcher - and did it undetected! I hovered near the Buzzer's ceiling and lobbed grenades into the outpost and onto the guards, who from that altitude weren't much more than a few pixels in size, just big enough to be discernible when they moved around. Apparently at that height I couldn't be seen by them >:D

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Those army guys are kind of stupid, fragger, they do not see anything above the tops of their own heads.  I'm not convinced they believe in flying machines.  8-X

fragger

I've found that most of the outposts can be liberated undetected from high-altitude buzzer with the M-79. The only ones that can't are a couple that are already at high altitude. I couldn't get high enough above those to remain unseen before the ceiling alarm cut in.

Today I bagged a rhino with bow and arrows. It wasn't very sporting though. He got stuck on a slope and I pincushioned him from just a few feet away - after making very sure that he couldn't get at me >:D He had arrows sticking out all over him when he finally carked it before obligingly rolling down the slope and letting me get all my arrows back >:D

mandru

Quote from: PZ on March 07, 2015, 09:19:08 AM
Those army guys are kind of stupid, fragger, they do not see anything above the tops of their own heads.  I'm not convinced they believe in flying machines.  8-X

I don't know about that.  ;)

I was on a supply drop mission for Gopal that had about twelve of Min's troops on the ground waiting for me at the drop point.  They were tucked in around a lot of trees and the only sidearm I had on me to whittle their numbers down enough to land my buzzer and finish the last of them before they could target and destroy my parked ride was the basic double barrel shotgun found in the sidearms section.

So I was flying low (10 to 15 meters) weaving in and out of the foliage and pecking them off as I spotted them.

One of the crafty little buggers "Cooked" a grenade so perfectly that it detonated all but in my lap.  That grenade had to have been cooked because it killed my buzzer instead of arcing past me and falling back to the ground where it would have exploded harmlessly.

Pretty damn smart AI no matter how I calculate the odds.  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

that's new and cool, AI cooking grenades  ??? :-X :)

fragger

I haven't been 'naded in a buzzer, but I have been molotoved in one :D

Art Blade

PZ

Dang fragger, you do seem to have the wildest adventures!

nexor

Now I know what happened to me when I got nailed while attacking an outpost with a buzzer, one of the buggers must have tossed a grenade which landed in my lap...... >:((

Art Blade

During my last session I came across some weird stuff.  But first about the cool moments.

It was when I decided to switch off EVERYTHING regarding HUD respectively all the help you see on your monitor. Wow. Just like it used to be with FC2. It forced me to enjoy the game. No distractions. Have to remember to reload anyway and can take a look at the map by opening it. It was when I decided to also check those "Ultra" graphics settings and enhanced god rays.. apparently nVidia improved their drivers so much that I can actually play on those settings almost as good as on only "High." Without any HUD elements I only found it too difficult during missions, however, like Yogi's or Shangri-La which is when I allowed world icons in the 3D world such as mission markers and for quick reference the mini map. But for free roam I definitely go without all that stuff from now. :)

Now the weird stuff..

I remember instantly that fight between a formerly caged tiger and a bear next to a camp fire. Both animals were duking it out despite the campfire I should say, as both animals caught on fire while they were on it. The tiger croaked first and the bear, with the occasional tongues of flame licking at the charred butt, pretended nothing had ever happened but eventually croaked, too.

[smg id=7784 type=preview align=center caption="roast bear"]

Also that Bambi type of moment, if a bit different.. note the second pic, what's on Bambi's back..

[smg id=7785 type=preview align=center caption="Bambi come"]
[smg id=7786 type=preview align=center caption="Bambi go"]
[smg id=7787 type=preview align=center caption="Bambi gone"]

PZ

Nice  :-X

I need to remember to turn off the HUD as well - looks so much nicer  :-X

mandru

:laugh: @ Bambi goes boom.

One of the things I like to do when using No Detect is to creep close and equip a vulture or even better an eagle with a C4 charge.  Then I hit them with a tossed rock to spook them into flight and once they've gained soaring height...  >:D

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on April 06, 2015, 11:01:37 AM
:laugh: @ Bambi goes boom.

??? sounds like the title of a video you would not post on a family oriented site  8-X

🡱 🡳