International cuisine...

Started by PZ, May 11, 2009, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Told you I was very tired... thanks...

and hell yeah, hahahah.... nice one :)

and very nice of JRD to mention that... at all  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

That's ok PZ :o..I was getting kinda worried someone would try to usurp my position as SBD king  ;D ;D ;D
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

lol, you have a great sense of humor, Gord, and we are truly fortunate to have you as one of our members!  :-X

JRD

One thing I had the pleasure to taste while in Paris...

Beaujolais Noveau

It`s a tradition in France... on the third thursday of november you can taste the brand new harvest of the wine made in the Beaujolais region.
On that day there is a rush to local markets to buy wine and have a feast with your friends.
If you go to a restaurant, make sure you ask for a bottle of Beaujolais Noveau to have with your meal. It comes on an uncorked bottle with no label on it. As you finish one bottle ask for another one and the waiter will take the empty bottle to the back of the restaurant where they probably have a large barrel full of it.
One bottle can cost EUR 8 -10 on a restaurant, which is really cheap
The glass I was drinking had marcs of grapes on the bottom and so had the bottle.

By the way... I was having roasted lamb with mashed potatoes  ;)

Some people claim this is not the best wine to have, but if you are in the land of wine you have to try it... even a reasonable wine (for them) will taste delicious for us (not french people).
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Nice, I've known it as "primeur" or "vin en primeur" -- common vintages I know of that are being offered en primeur are from Bourgogne, Bordeaux and Rhône. It's basically "unfinished" wine :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm so envious - I love visiting France, especially for the food and drink  ;)

PZ

I enjoy making my own version of a gumbo which includes stewed Mexican tomatoes, sliced sausages, black beans, okra, and corn.  My problem to date has been to find that perfect combination of spices to make it a savory dish that is memorable.  Some time ago I found an adobo mole with chocolate that had a uniquely different flavor, so I tried a new combination of spices tonight:

Cumin, a rehydrated adobo pepper, finely diced, cilantro, thyme chile pepper, smoked paprika, gumbo file, and the new ingredient: powdered bakers chocolate (the unsweetened kind).  Man did that combination rock - my wife loved it as did I.  Smoky, rich, spicy, and with a bitter bite of the chocolate, this spicy dish will continue to be a favorite of mine.

RedRaven

Have always been a big fan of food, too much so at times! My grandmother was a cook in a school back when they actually cooked real food in schools and from her comes my love for what some call "Farm house food" seasonal veg and meat as full-on plate filling roasts, also stews and pies (savoury and sweet).
She taught me baking skills which I can no longer remember but am slowly re-learning.

Beyond that Italian food is what keeps me going, and has got me back into cooking properly. Almost mastered my Lasagne recipe, though keep experimenting with different ingredients.

Find most pasta dishes easy to do and can usually find a decent recipe when in need of one, which brings me to my point - do any of you have a tried and tested recipe for Cannelloni ?
Got some from a super market deli section a while back but pretty sure can do better myself. A few of the ones I've found online seem ok but the difference in ingredients and cooking time varies greatly from one to the next.

I only ever use fresh pasta. And have 2 local butchers who are excellent, long running family shops using locally sourced meat. All that is needed now is a reliable recipe to w@&k with.

Greatly appreciate any hints and tips on Cannelloni or any Italian dish Cheerz.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

We need a new member. From Italy, please.  :-D

Art Blade

Oh.. been a while since the last post, here  ???  :)

I know that especially our American friends here are very interested in German foods but that doesn't exclude the rest of you guys  :-D Here is a vid that I find rather accurate and nice, it will give you an idea about our food in general.

However, I need to add one information that is missing from the vid regarding our breakfast. Apart from what you see in the vid, we also have what I call a sweet breakfast which contains any of the following ingredients or foods or whatever we'd call it: Jam, all sorts of fruit are used to create jams such as cherry jam or apricot jam and also jelly-like spreads such as Quittengelee (quince jelly). Honey of course and, popular with kids, Nutella and stuff like that. Sweet bread with raisins, French croissants or even cake or pastry. My typical every day breakfast? A few biscuits or a cream-filled Italian croissant and (or just) a cup of coffee :)

The Pleasure of German Cuisine

PZ

Funny video AB!

I like the way the English guy is trying to pronounce the German words - he's lucky he's not a spy trying to pass off as a German.  :-()

Art Blade

:-D Yep, I watched it twice and from what I remember, he didn't get a single German term right. At all.  :-D

Art Blade

Know what? Here's one more, same guy, with both info about food and Germany in general. I like it, he really presents this country quite favourably. :)

Germany is Amazing!

Art Blade

We don't have a topic for what's coming next but I think it best fits in here as I don't think it's worth a new topic.

Have fun watching Emmy check out our German snacks. ^-^

Emmy Eats Germany: German Snacks & Sweets Part 3

durian

Thanks for posting these interesting vids, Art. What did you rate about Emma's pronuciation of German words ? Did she get any words right at all ?  ;D I always like Germany, it's one of the most beautiful countries in the world, not just Europe. I like bratwursts (I'm a sucker for sausages in general), pretzels, beers and Germany's national soccer team. I think Germany has the best chance to win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil as they have excellent blend of talent and youth.

Oh I nearly forgot, Germany's Riesling wine is excellent and very enjoyable. I tried Blue Nun, it's cheap,  and I was pleasantly surprised it tastes good, has nice aroma and alcohol is pretty low compared to other wines like Bordeaux, Rhone, California, Bourgone ... It goes very with spicy foods like Mexican, Thai ...  No wonder it's enjoyed in 70 countries and  is Germany's best selling wine. (according to producer's website)
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

my pleasure :) Well, she was probably level with the other guy, nothing would have passed off as German at all, really. But both of them apologised, so no harm done. I don't mind if a foreigner tries to pronounce words or to talk, and if I laugh then only with delight (because it does sound funny at times) and not to laugh at someone. But I do laugh, can't help it :-D (don't get me wrong, I'm talking about people I'm already friends with, I offer help if they want and repeat it correctly, and I correct someone if they keep committing the same error all over)

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

err.. that's actually not part of the snack subject. :-()

Binnatics

but quite obvious, aren't they :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

mandru

Thanks for posting those Art.  Fun stuff.  :-X

I've often thought Germany would be one of the few far flung places with a distinct foreign food culture that I would be able to visit without starving over the unavailability of foods meeting my taste preferences.

A good guide would also go a long ways towards steering me clear of poor menu choices to an even more comfortable visit.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:)

I'm sure all you need is your personal chef. He'll find everything here to fix you any dish you like. Depending on education and life experience and curiosity and perhaps travel experience, Germans are not limited to German food and dishes. We are a prime country country for people from all over the world who want to live here and we do have many foreigners (err.. foreigners? nowadays political correctness requires us to call them "citizens with a migration background"  :laugh: ) who enjoy our social security and liberty granted to them. Hell, they don't even have to speak our language when they immigrate. But all of them bring their own cuisine.. and many of them start either restaurants or grocery shops with their respective foods. I assume this is more true about major cities here but you'll find good stuff in any bigger town or city.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about your digestion here.  :-D

durian

I'd like to try Turkish kebabs  :)

mandru, go visit Germany and Mr.Art will be your guide. I think he has great taste as well as knowledge about foods and you won't be starving  ;D
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

:-D

I'll just feed him pickled jalapeños and he'll be just fine :-()

mandru

That I could eat.  But I can get those here and save the airfare.  :-D

Breads, good (selected) sausages and tap water that won't give you amoebic dysentery.  I even like fried cabbage but not as a steady diet.  :-X

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

🡱 🡳