Spring time is finally here ... pizza time...

Started by PZ, March 25, 2014, 01:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... in the outdoor oven.  The cold is finally over and it was sunny today!

Brought the oven to temp slowly over several hours while enjoying the fresh air of spring

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="400" />

Decided to try par-baking and immediately ruined the first one (not pictured because it was embarrassingly black)  Let the oven cool a couple hundred degrees and the next crust is doing fine

Very happy with this crust on which we piled a variety of our favorite ingredients - ended up with a thin, very crisp yet tender and chewy - almost like lamination but without the extra time and effort

Art Blade

I love the comment about the embarrassingly black and hence not photographed pizza :-D :-X

However, the one that you show looks great. Looks a bit pale, like Turkish pizza (pita)  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks, and yes, a bit like pita, but very crispy

Art Blade

if it's crispy outside and soft inside, then it's perfect for my taste. If crisp meant that it would explode when biting on it because it was dry as a bone then I'd call it "overdone"  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

No, not an explosion because the tender middle keeps it together - just a pleasant potato chip like crisp  ^-^

Art Blade

nexor

Looks good PZ   :-X
And I realy like your oven, I'd love laying my hands on the plans of that concept, other than the big industrial clay ovens like the one I had in the shop, there is a small portable oven available.
the pizza in the picture is too big for this portable oven   :-(

PZ

Thanks, nex; that oven is 48 inches inside diameter at the base and was actually a kit that my son and I assembled.  I do need to figure out how to cover it to make it more pretty. 

Art Blade

PZ

Art Blade

fragger

Looking good PZ :-X You're getting warmer while I'm getting cooler :-D

Quote from: Art Blade on March 25, 2014, 03:20:41 PM
I love the comment about the embarrassingly black and hence not photographed pizza :-D :-X

Discretion is the better part of valour ^-^

Art Blade

mandru

:laugh:

All this talk about pizza I had to have Mrs mandru grab some pizza fixings and a couple loaves of French bread which we split and used to top and bottom halves to make his and hers thick crusty quick pizza knock-offs.  ^-^
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

:laugh: :-X

That cat looks like me with my pizza slices  :-()

mandru

Yeah.  :)

I have to admit when our French bread pizzas (3 types of pepperoni, black olives, mushrooms and extra cheese) was sliced and I sat down to eat...

...I went after it as if someone was going come in and to try to take it away from me.  >:D
- mandru

Binnatics

I'm still jealous when looking at your pizza oven PZ, wonderful thing. And nice crust indeed. Ever since I started using my pizza stone in my electric indoor oven I started experimenting with throwing the dough up instead of rolling it to its shape. I had some very funny accidents, with the pizza getting stuck in the weirdest places :angel: but in the end I got a hang of it, a bit. I found out its best to first roll the dough a bit, and do the ultimate stretching by tossing it up and round, which results in a very thin base in the middle and a more filled border. I am surprised how thin but still strong the dough can become when stretching it like that. Actually just the way the Italians form their pizza. Here's a few pictures of my experiments so far:

and.... UP!
[smg id=6725]

...where is it gone ????
[smg id=6726]

...and DOWN!
[smg id=6727]

Gotcha!!! Oops, flour in my eyes ;D :-D
[smg id=6728]

Perfect shape ^-^
[smg id=6724]

Baking process:
[smg id=6723]

The result; almost transparent
[smg id=6722]

another crust:
[smg id=6721]

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru

mandru

We had some leftover pizza toppings so we stopped by Trader Joe's (a national market here in the U.S. with an eclectic world wide assortment of imported food products) and grabbed a bag of six 7.75 x 4 in. flat oval loaves of tandoori baked naan (think non-round pita).  It's not the crisp cracker crust many of you guys prefer on your pies but that wasn't what I was shooting for.  The naan's softer chewy nature was right in my sweet spot.  ^-^

We'd picked up some hot Italian sausages earlier in the week so we grilled a few of them and sliced them into hearty rounds to add to the pepperoni, mushrooms and cheese we already had.  Assembling two for me and one for Mrs. mandru 500 F on a preheated stone in the oven for 5 minutes gave the bottom on the naan a nice little crunch and melted the cheese just right.  I wouldn't hesitate to go this route again for little personal pizzas.

Now that we've polished off the last of the pizza toppings and still have three of the nice naan loaves left over I'm working on convincing Mrs. mandru that some of the local market's Beef Barbacoa and some taco fixings would be perfect to use them up.  >:D
- mandru

fragger

Excellent, you guys :) A :-X for each of you.

Hehe, I like the pics Binn :-() I thought maybe the second shot indicated that the dough was now stuck on the ceiling ???? That's probably where it would be if I tried it!

nexor

I'm sick and tired of you guys bragging with your pizza's    \:/

Now I'm going bite the bullet and go buy that blasted ceramic pizza oven tile so I can also start bragging   :-D

Art Blade

fragger

PZ

:-X :laugh:

You guys are great! As has been mentioned before, I sure do wish we could meet up in a pub and converse face to face!

🡱 🡳