PC performance. Tips, links and so on

Started by Art Blade, November 11, 2014, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Unfortunately they lie so much it has become second nature to the point where they believe their own lies.

Art Blade

I think they have one priority: meeting the deadline. In terms of cars, it would equal a half-built model and a box with the remaining spare parts. "It's all there, on time."

"But you postponed the deadline."
"Well, we had to build a bigger box because we had more spare parts than anticipated."
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

PZ:
You should start checking prices for computer, as the market is now being flooded with new products, and the old gens fastest one are sold quite cheap, 780TI is almost as fast as a GTX980, give or take a few fps which is meaningless, also CPU's compared to 3770k vs 4770k is like 1-2% difference in gaming or desktop use.  8)

Also, if I do choose to get ACU someday, Ill rely purely on the overclocked watercooled raw performance that this computer has, and excessive amount memory.

PZ

I haven't checked parts prices in a long time - might just do that for fun to see things have changed.  My PC is old enough so I don't remember what it has in it other than a GTX 295 which is good enough for FC2  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

OK, just fired up the game with my GTX660/3GB, found out that the game had settled on "high" settings but hey, not going to overextend it. I took a few screenies with those settings (but have now lowered some settings, particularly shadows to low and ambient occlusion off and anti aliasing off and am restarting just now because it didn't feel really smooth. No wonder, given the specs.. ;)  But it runs. :-X

PZ

That's great news!  Now we'll see if you have the same issues reported on other web sites

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on November 12, 2014, 04:40:19 PM
so far, so good.. more later.

I can tell AB is in the game - have not seen a post in a while

Art Blade

Art Blade

Well, with custom (lowered) graphics settings, the game runs smoothly enough even with my GTX660 but it may be due to those 3GB RAM of that particular card. The four cores of my i5 are usually all busy but I haven't seen any of them above 50% usage. My system RAM (16GB) is only being used by around 1/4, so apparently the game doesn't need much more than 4GB RAM on my machine. So far.

[smg id=7314 type=preview align=center caption="custom graphics"]

Currently I am using

Environment Quality: High
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Low
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anti-Aliasing: Off
Bloom: On

All that at

1920x1080 (Full HD)
@ 60Hz
Fullscreen
VSync: On
Stretching: Off

PZ

Looks good, AB  :-X

I'm about to head back in to the game myself.  Already had a call from my son an hour or so ago asking when I'm going back in  ^-^

Art Blade

Quote from: nexor on November 11, 2014, 11:43:43 PMGPU  NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 2GB

I used GPU-Z to check my video load and it's usually 2.5GB which means my card can handle the game because of the 3GB that I have with my GTX660.

Which means, vid cards with less than 3GB won't w@&k. Ultra-High settings require 3.5GB = 4GB cards

gpu-z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Binnatics

Isn't it possible to address some of your 'regular' internal memory to the Video card? That might solve the problem since the game doesn't need much internal memory compared to what most systems have nowadays.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

if it was all the same, why bother producing vid cards with on-board memory at all. Hell, why bother producing vid cards at all if the GPU's w@&k could be done by the CPU and the vid RAM could be part of the system RAM. So I guess not. Probably all a matter of data processing speed, best to do the vid stuff in a vid card and the rest in the main system :)

Binnatics

That makes sense. If you'd be able to do so, it would sure give some speed loss, but if that made it possible for Nex to run the game without buying another vid card, I'd say give it a try. A quick google didn't give any results though, on the idea of transferring memory to the GPU :-\\

Edit: It is only possible if you have integrated graphics on your mobo. So no, it's not possible addressing system memory to an independent GPU. Sorry for suggesting a non-existing solution :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

Quote from: Binnatics on November 15, 2014, 07:37:52 AM

Edit: It is only possible if you have integrated graphics on your mobo. So no, it's not possible addressing system memory to an independent GPU. Sorry for suggesting a non-existing solution :-D

You almost gave me hope there Binn    :-(   :-D

🡱 🡳