Where can I get a good gaming PC...

Started by PZ, January 02, 2015, 11:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 16, 2015, 08:13:30 AM
The one I have on hand says it's an M4 SSD 2.5? There's no other model number I can see. I would imagine the other two were the same, bought about the same time in pre-built systems from the same company. One has been trashed, I'm using the other at home as my transfer drive, hooked up to a USB interface when needed. All three had the same malfunction, the computer would just reboot for no reason, and sometimes not come back up until a full power down and power up cycle occurred. Sometimes you'd get the NTLDR missing error, sometimes not. I even tried putting one in as a secondary drive and it would still make the computer reboot for no reason even if there were no files being accessed on it, just having it hooked up caused the error. The one I'm using as a transfer drive is still working, but I don't have it hooked up for very long. I never had a data loss with any of them, it would just stop working, causing a reboot.

I'd press "F" to pay respect for your PC (if you get what I mean ;) :angel: )
LEGACY

Stiku

Quote from: PZ on March 19, 2015, 08:19:51 AM
AMD R9 390X, Nvidia GTX 980 Ti and Titan X Benchmarks Leaked – GTX 965/ 960 Ti Shows Up Too

http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-390x-nvidia-gtx-980ti-titanx-benchmarks/

Titan X was released allready, and legit perf benches are up, good news are that the card is really good at that 2560x1440 resolution.
But the price tag is abit steep.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review,1.html

Binnatics

Earlier Titans also showed exceptional prices, and they were quickly overtaken by much cheaper next-gen cards. I wouldn't bet on a titan ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

Agreed, if you want top of the line performance, go for the R9 390X when it launches or the GTX 980 :-D
LEGACY

PZ

I saw that the Titan X had released, and checked the sale on Amazon @ $999, which is a bit steep.  Newegg doesn't carry it yet, and I've seen prices as high as $1400 so I'll not invest that much in technology that is rapidly superseded.

However, I am interested in the AMD 390, which is said to release some time in June, but that is only rumor so far.  Also rumored are the prices which are as high as $700 or so, which is a bit better than the Titan, but still quite a bit more than the 980, so it will depend on performance.

If I get the 390, then I'm interested in the free-sync version of the 27-inch Acer that is coming out this month

If I decide on the 980, then the 1 msec G-synch IPS Acer, also scheduled for distribution this month.

Because there is still so much good technology closely on the horizon, I'm excited to get something now, but my more prudent side tells me to wait until summer and see what happens with the AMD

PZ

I'm going to start purchasing the parts as they come on sale.  Just purchased the Corsair power supply and 3 TB drive

OWGKID

LEGACY

Stiku

Quote from: PZ on March 25, 2015, 07:45:53 AM
I saw that the Titan X had released, and checked the sale on Amazon @ $999, which is a bit steep.  Newegg doesn't carry it yet, and I've seen prices as high as $1400 so I'll not invest that much in technology that is rapidly superseded.

However, I am interested in the AMD 390, which is said to release some time in June, but that is only rumor so far.  Also rumored are the prices which are as high as $700 or so, which is a bit better than the Titan, but still quite a bit more than the 980, so it will depend on performance.

If I get the 390, then I'm interested in the free-sync version of the 27-inch Acer that is coming out this month

If I decide on the 980, then the 1 msec G-synch IPS Acer, also scheduled for distribution this month.

Because there is still so much good technology closely on the horizon, I'm excited to get something now, but my more prudent side tells me to wait until summer and see what happens with the AMD

Personally I would go for the 390x/390, just because I gotten so much crap from nVidia always when I have had one of their cards, but if you look at it more closely, nVidia has better driver support, better driver(at least now) and better product(currently),
and AMD is in big trouble financially. So you should actually just wait what the 390 launch will bring, hopefully make nVidia drop the titan X's price tag.

PZ

Dang, I ordered those parts only a couple of hours ago, and they are already shipping  :-X

Thanks Stiku, I was thinking along those lines as well.  The 390(x) does look enticing, and I like the idea of free-sync above G-sync since monitors with the nVidia version of support are charging a couple hundred extra for the privilege.

PZ

Well, the two Acer monitors I'm interested in are now available, but there are caveats.

If I go with the $799 XB270HU 1 msec IPS monitor, which sports G-sync, then I have to stick with an nVidia graphics unit.  A disadvantage of the XB is having only a displayport, but no HDMI, through which I would like to have to connect my console. On the other hand, the $499 XG270HU offers FreeSynch technology, but with older technology TN hardware.  With this one, I'll need to stay with an AMD compatible unit.

OWGKID

You could try to get a displayport-hdmi adapter.
LEGACY

PZ

Yeah, I thought that might be a reasonable solution, but I didn't like the idea of plugging/unplugging cables.  However, it would w@&k if G-sync is the way to go

Binnatics

Funny to see how much you get sucked into the whole "putting-it-myself-together-phenomena" again, along the process of buying your new rig. I'm sure it's gonna be a super-rig, make sure to post some pics when parts fit nicely :-X :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Stiku

This Gsync vs Freesync is what nvidia actually wanted, you have to choose which brand of GPU to buy, and stick with that brand unless you want to buy a new monitor and keep this feature.

Also IPS vs TN. always go for the IPS, its far too superior, there is no doubt about that.

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on March 26, 2015, 10:00:32 AM
Funny to see how much you get sucked into the whole "putting-it-myself-together-phenomena" again, along the process of buying your new rig. I'm sure it's gonna be a super-rig, make sure to post some pics when parts fit nicely :-X :)

Yeah, it is kind of funny - never thought I would build another rig.  GKID got me started with pcpartpicker.com, and here we are  :-()

Quote from: Stiku on March 26, 2015, 10:13:39 AM
This Gsync vs Freesync is what nvidia actually wanted, you have to choose which brand of GPU to buy, and stick with that brand unless you want to buy a new monitor and keep this feature.

Also IPS vs TN. always go for the IPS, its far too superior, there is no doubt about that.

It is too bad that business politics and greed comes into play - the G-sync option costs more due to the extra hardware and nVidia profit needs, but the new Acer IPS monitor is sure a nice enticement.  However, that locks me into the nVidia line for a long time because of the proprietary nature of G-sync.  Might not be too bad though, because I've had good luck with my current 295 for quite a few years (I remember when that was a top of the line unit)

OWGKID

Quote from: PZ on March 26, 2015, 12:00:31 PMYeah, it is kind of funny - never thought I would build another rig.  GKID got me started with pcpartpicker.com, and here we are  :-()
:-D ^-^
LEGACY

PZ

Well gents, I decided to go ahead and go the nVidia route to get the new Acer IPS monitor.  I know... I know.... it locks me in to nVidia, but it is really not that big of a deal.

Here's the parts list I just ordered, and even kept the price below $2k:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($140.49 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($559.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm  Fan  ($19.39 @ Mwave)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm  Fan  ($19.39 @ Mwave)
Total: $1921.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 15:52 EDT-0400

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

I suppose that new rig of yours will be able to handle FC2 just nicely.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

I get 144+ fps with my R9 290 with Ultra High settings :-D. Have to limit my fps or the NPCs simply bounce :laugh: :D ???? :laugh:
LEGACY

Stiku

Cooling system

Front: 2 – 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
Rear: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
Top: 3 - 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Bottom: 2 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Side: 1 – 120/140 mm fan (not included)
Fan controller: 3 step fan controller for up to 3 fans
Dust filters: Bottom and front intakes

If you can, change to 140mm fans, higher airflow with the same noise(db)

PZ

Thanks Stiku  :-X - may need to upgrade cooling - dang fast shippers though, my order has already been processed

I don't think I'll have any problems with FC2, AB  :-()  Although FC4 has dropped to $29, I resisted the temptation to make a purchase

PZ

Wow, a good part of my order is already being packaged for shipping - can't change it any longer

Binnatics

Nice Rig PZ!!!  :) :-X

And great that we can count you amongst the dedicated PC-ers once again :-() :-X

PZ

Thanks, Binn - at least I can now play some of the newer games again  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳