No Man's Sky - Screen captures

Started by PZ, August 17, 2016, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

thanks -- not much else left to do, is there.. nothing but finding new ships and killing pirates.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Make sure you don't miss the one small spoiler between the pics :)

The pirate ships don't register on the small ship info screen. Instead, it shows my own. But at least you get to see one of the buggers seconds before he blows up >:D
[smg id=9289 type=preview align=center caption="pirate up close"]

When I land on a planet, I only stay if either there are no animals at all or until I find a carnivore. Then I'm off. Like this one.. bye, planet.
[smg id=9290 type=preview align=center caption="bloody carnivores"]

And my current location.. no animals. Just sea and land. ^-^
[smg id=9291 type=preview align=center caption="under water"]
[smg id=9292 type=preview align=center caption="mars rover mission"]
[smg id=9293 type=preview align=center caption="sleeping dog"]

psst, here..
the spoiler.. click it :-()

Spoiler

What looks like a comic version of a sleeping dog in the pic above, is in fact my ship, landed on a ledge so it appears to be lying on the ground as if sleeping  :laugh:
[smg id=9294 type=preview align=center caption="is my ship"]
[smg id=9295 type=preview align=center caption="and again"]
[smg id=9296 type=preview align=center caption="nice night sky"]
[smg id=9297 type=preview align=center caption="storm fighters"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Wow, very cool pictures indeed.

If one thing is good about the game it is the ability to give you nice intense captures ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

thank you and lol, it is great for that matter  :laugh:

fragger

It certainly is a photogenic affair, I've taken hundreds of screenies. I keep seeing scenes which I think (at the time) are just asking to be captured. Some of them would make excellent wallpapers, or sci-fi book covers :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Upgraded ship again last night. Well, upgraded is a strong word, as I used the save game editor to bump the storage on my old ship to 48 slots, now it's just finding one I like. Or just changing for the sake of change.

[smg id=9298 type=preview align=center]

I just noticed looking at the screenshot that the disc things on the side are not symmetrical, it's missing one on the right side. Left side if you're in the ship, but you know what I mean. I may look up the Reddit post that has a bunch of ship seeds listed and fool around changing them in the editor, just to see what I can get.

As for predators, I just shoot on sight, whenever the warning icon shows up on my screen, I hunt them down. So far, they've mostly been those weird crab-praying mantis hybrids.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

Crazy cool ship, D_B!

I noticed something about those animals that is kinda not so cool; you cannot perform headshots. There's only a very small hitbox usually located somewhere in the belly of the beast. I automatically tried aiming for the head, but they won't take any damage at all :-\\
Anyway; if you hit the belly, they go belly-up instantly :-()
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

My tool has some kind of auto-aim, so even far away, I just shoot and they die pretty quick.  8)
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

I present to you, the amazing flying cows of.... I forget what I named this planet....

[smg id=9302 type=preview align=center]

[smg id=9303 type=preview align=center]

Yes, a cow-sized creature flying around on dainty butterfly wings. It looked so funny. The floating rocks on this planet are pure copper. Lots of animals, plants and stuff and plentiful resources. Sentinels aren't too aggressive either. One predator animal though but I shoot on sight now.

I spent most of my time getting materials to upgrade the ship. Got all the upgrades in random places, I'll use the mod to move them around to better positions. So then I messed around with the save game editor to change the seed used to create the ship. Found a couple posts on Reddit that show what the different seeds are. Each ship type has a certain number of "lives" or shield points. Though the save game editor has a place to edit this, it doesn't do anything, as it's based on the ship type. So I picked fighter style and this seed:

[smg id=9304 type=preview align=center]

It's cool and all, but the ring around the engines is lower than the landing gear, so you land on that instead of the gear, and it just floats there. So I looked at a few more seeds and picked this one for now.

[smg id=9305 type=preview align=center]

I'll probably scan through a few more seeds and see if anything comes up that I like better.

Oh yeah, if I want to buy a ship, with less slots, mind you, with this fully upgraded ship as a base, it now costs upwards of 140 million to get a ship that is not as good. Economics, I guess.
D_B

Art Blade

those butterfly cows? nice. :-D I was just picturing those framed pinned butterfly collections hanging on the walls of some people's private libraries. Might need a mighty big pin the size of a baseball bat and a frame the size of a bedstead for one of those, I suppose  :-D

About those ship seeds, do you know which parts do what in the code that looks like a large alphanumeric and perhaps hexadecimal string in the editor field?

Dweller_Benthos

Pinned butterfly cow collection, haha, need a bigger library too....

The seed is, as far as I can tell, an all-around number. It isn't like the 3rd and 4th numerals define the wing type, the 5th and 6th define hull type, etc. It's just a number that defines the entire ship. The post I took those from started at 000000000001 and worked it's way up, I think those were 15 and 16 or something like that.

So, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, no, you can't pick and choose pieces parts and combine them into a custom ship.
D_B

Art Blade

you were indeed thinking what I was thinking and pity, I'd have loved to change colours and stuff like that.

Dweller_Benthos

Here's the Imgur post of a bunch of dropship types,

https://imgur.com/a/FG5GW#2vRv4Ci

and here's a gif someone made of all of them

http://i.imgur.com/kYw09Sb.gifv

forum can't deal with gifv I guess, so click it.

I'm looking at dropships because I think those are the ones with eight health?
D_B

Art Blade

8 is with the type fragger is using, the goose type. I think it's called dropship, yes. At least it's the type shown in those pics

Dweller_Benthos

Right, this is the one I'm looking at:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Or along those lines, there are a couple variations in that set.
D_B

Art Blade

those have 8 health, yes.

What I like about them is that those hovercraft-like turbines on the underside at the back of the wings function as flood lights. Looks cool and majestic when they approach, particularly in the dark.

[smg id=9307 type=preview align=center caption="flood light"]

Dweller_Benthos

Ah, that's cool. I still need to change mine over. I played a bit last night, made my first jump to an Atlas interface, got the stone, etc. But I find I have more fun in this game just wandering around looking at things. Kind of like what I used to do in Minecraft, as I'd find myself just out exploring and wandering aimlessly looking for cool things. So having planet after planet to explore is kinda my gig. If I ever get to the end, it would probably be by accident.

Anyway, there are a couple planets in the Atlas system, so I started looking at them. The first had high radiation and tons of those annoying praying mantis crabs that attack you. I mean, there were herds of them all over. So I didn't spend much time on that one, but I did get all the species scanned, so that was a bonus. The second planet I went to was pretty nice, but hot. Nighttime low was 19°C and daytime it hovered around 50°C, then a storm would blow in and the temperature would shoot up to almost 100°C. Good thing for thermal protection. Anyway, lots of cool things to look at and animals around, and not too many predators. At least not enough to be annoying. Still looking around there, but here's a few screens.

Remember the flying cows from a couple posts ago? Same idea here, only these guys are as big as elephants.

[smg id=9309 type=preview align=center]

[smg id=9310 type=preview align=center]

Same planet, just as a storm was moving in, the ship landed on a cliff edge that was fairly photogenic.

[smg id=9311 type=preview align=center]
D_B

Art Blade

:)

I think I'll dip in again just to check out some more ships :-D I like yours. Reminds me, when I had a ship with large wings, I was slowly flying towards a spasta through an asteroid cluster. Then I heard a loud clunk and another one and another one although I didn't see anything. My ship's health was a bit decreased for some reason, too. Turned out that I had been bumping into one of those large freighters with my wings.. I got quite a start thinking about them getting mad at me for "attacking" but nothing happened.

Dweller_Benthos

I almost smashed into a freighter last night, but hit the warp just in time. Jumped to my second Atlas system, got the next stone an looked around. If it's that easy to get stones, I'll have 10 in no time. But exploring the new planets is more what I'm interested in. I'm actually a little bummed on what I'm missing out by skipping past 5 or 6 systems to go directly to the next Atlas system.

Anyway, not much to report on this system except that it's in Gek territory, and I don't know hardly any of their language. I'm back to guessing what they want, but it's usually money, so it's been easy so far.

Found these strange formations on one of the planets in this system.

[smg id=9312 type=preview align=center]

They are iron deposits of some kind. You can tell the size by the word cylinders next to the tall spiky one, forget the name of those things. So far the planets here aren't as hospitable, high radiation or temperature, toxic atmosphere, etc. One even said "Barren Planet" in the description. No animals, barely any plants, even the sentinels are relaxed.
D_B

Art Blade

I like those barren planets. The few plants are oftentimes quite bizarro like the one you depicted above. Barren planets are mostly rich in resources (usually planets have two or three types in abundance while the rest is absent, except for those plants that can be picked and the ever-present plutonium crystals) but if the weather is that bad, it's not so much fun to wander around. So my favourites are those that are barren (just a few plants and no animals at all around) and have a nice weather, like no 100+ toxic rain storms or no fiery 300+°C storms. And low radiation.. you know, just so you can walk around for hours without needing your ship. My "Drongo Moon" in my home system was such a place, albeit there were lots of plants. I like it when there are lots of plants as long as I don't have to look for collectibles as they tend to be hard to spot in tall grass and so forth. Without the need of resources, I like everything that doesn't eat me and doesn't eat through my exo, either.  :)

Dweller_Benthos

The barren planet had almost nothing, Completely empty. A few scattered deposits of those iron fan-shaped things here and there, a few small plants and that's about it. Truly barren.
D_B

Art Blade

interesting.. my "barren" worlds always had something

fragger

Sometimes when you land on one of those types of planets for the first time, the ones which have no animals, few plants and relatively agreeable climates, after you get out of the ship the default name of the planet appears for a moment, then a box will appear at bottom right telling you that this planet has abundant resources (can't remember the wording). These are the planets I like to call "resource havens". It seems that you're more likely to get this "abundant resources" message when you first land on a barren planet than on any other type.

However, I have seen a couple of barren planets which were not resource havens and had very little on them, like the one D_B described. Needless to say that the "abundant resources" message didn't appear in those cases. But barren planets seem to be the ones which turn out to be resource havens. I think the game may be programmed to generate a certain percentage of these types of planets throughout the game universe, as there never seems to be one too far away from wherever you are (relatively speaking :-()). I guess the idea is to make sure players can't run too short of resources or opportunities to make some extra dough. These planets seem to be fairly common, like roughly once every second or third system or so you find one.

I like those, they're good for stocking up on stuff without having to look over your shoulder a lot. That red-claw icon thing never fails to put the wind up me, especially if I don't notice it immediately. Since I then don't know how long it's been there, whatever is generating it could be well within bum-clawing range already.

Art Blade

indeed, I think I can agree with all of the above. :-D

Dweller_Benthos

I've settled on this ship for now. Another from the dropship thread on Reddit. I liked the last one, except it has that overhanging cockpit that dumps you out in mid air when you exit and that can be dangerous. So this one isn't quite as cool looking, has a different cockpit and that protruding radiator in the front acts as a place to drop to when you exit the ship.

[smg id=9313 type=preview align=center]
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳