Dayz at 0.50 version

Started by Stiku, November 06, 2014, 08:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiku

Seems that they just still keep on updating this title.  :o
Yesterday they brought us the 0.50 version, which has alot of new things :

Changelog : http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214482-changelog-stable-050125369/

They actually added 5 new towns into the map: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#3.109.030

Might have to try this game again someday.

Art Blade

nice :) All nice.. but the other players to cope with. I'll wait.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Impressive; that's better than many game developers put out  :-X

Binnatics

I checked the new version, and my experience was not really nice; Zombies seem to have become almost immune to beating, which makes them practically invincible when you're still a bambie. The other thing that has changed to the zombie appearance is that they seem to hit you with fists so big that no matter how you try to avoid their smashes, they will always hit you. After 3 or 4 zombie encounters I decided to stop playing.
Something else that bugged me was the absolute absence of items to pick up close to my first drop point. All houses known to carry good loot were just completely empty. This did not occur to my second drop point, but that was near electro. The amount of zombies was way too deadly there to survive as a bambie.

I did go back into the game because the update news states that they installed anti cheat measures which would definitely bring back the fun in the game. But they really have to do something about the melee fighting behaviour before I will give it another try ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

sounds awful.. guess we'll have to wait some more
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

Well, only way to survive as a bambi is to have friends playing with you, and maybe cause a panic when running by couple friends without telling them  :angel:

Binnatics

:laugh:

Yep, It's time we'd try the game again. I will give it another go, see if the zombs have a bit of dignity left :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

I gave it another try today. I started in a town to the North-East called Novomitrovsk. I almost immediately ran into other players who didnot see me but threatened to kill me. They didn't find me and I was able to loot quite some nice stuff in the town. I decided to try to orient myself, since I found a compass and some maps, and after a while I found the railroad track that leads from east to west. I've been following it for a while and found a huge dam. Drank some water there and continued, of course in the direction of the huge airfield to the North-West.
Then the game crashed.

I got hold of an axe pretty fast and with an Axe it's good killing. One proper slice and a zombie is finished. They will hit you hard though, so it is wise to carry enough rags or bandages with you. I found a lot of goodies that are already known to us. I also found new stuff. I found two new rifles, one of which did function with the Mosin ammo. Most of the stuff I found was pristine, in fact everything that I checked was. I think the possibilities have greatly improved. You can chop lumber now. And there's a leather sewing kit. No idea what that's for. I also find a new, very small handgun. Haven't found the right ammo for it yet.
The landscape has changed a lot. The railroad track is now rising and falling over mountains, where it used to be quite flat. A lot of new towns in the North as well. And once inside these towns you will experience the most horrible framedrops. Lowering graphics settings doesn't change a thing to the framerate dropping, as far as I could check.
Once out in the open the framrates are back to normal.
I have seen new buildings, but also old ones. I visited a well stacked police station and I climbed a tower-like office building. The latter was so packed with goodies, but that's where others threatened to kill me. Which they couldn't because I made my escape :)

It was cool going back in, but the framrate issue is really getting annoying. I hope I can find a way to prevent that from happening, because it makes the game quite unplayable. At least not in an enjoyable way :-\\

Art Blade

interesting. For some reason I didn't expect the landscape to change and neither did I expect lots of new towns. Cool that they keep adding lots of stuff, also that what you find seems to be pristine by default. Well.. let them sort out the bugs and all that.. and I hope that they come up with some solution that prevents player killers from screwing up friendly people's experience.

Stiku

Where's the fun in that, it would get really boring really quickly if you don't have to look out for anything else than zombies and occasional food poisoning...  >:D

Binnatics

True. But I really hope they fixed the player-map hack. If others can see you on their map they have an unfair advantage, which back then made me stop playing the game. The update news suggests that this is over now, so I hope for the best.

Stiku

Quote from: Binnatics on November 21, 2014, 01:47:27 AM
True. But I really hope they fixed the player-map hack. If others can see you on their map they have an unfair advantage, which back then made me stop playing the game. The update news suggests that this is over now, so I hope for the best.

I still have this in my fresh memory, being shot near the police station, and only 1 other player in the server beside you and I.  :D
Also have few encounters like this with Able, as we were running away from the S-airstrip.  :'(

Binnatics

Indeed, there at that police station, exchanging our best gear... man, I had like 5 yellow boxes full of good loot. That was it for me...

Let's hope they did a good job fixing it.

Art Blade

don't forget when Stiku and I were looting the tent town down at the Southern Airfield, only one other player on the server who found us while it was nearly DARK, shot me from behind while I was IN A TENT and even managed to shoot at Stiku who was in a different tent, who then barely escaped wounded, by hitting ESC, and while I was healing myself, that guy comes back and shoots me again, and that I didn't survive.

Binnatics

I must say so far, playing only in quiet servers, I haven't had unpleasant encounters. Once I ran into another guy at the huge Airfield in the North-West and I tried to shoot him. But after the first bullet I fired at him he disappeared. Probably Esc-ed out.

I've been looking for a good loadout, which is a lot harder than before. I don't know what exactly changed to the spawning and respawning procedure, but one thing is for sure; servers don't constantly restart anymore. So searching for loot is harder because lots of areas have been looted before. It seems though as if the game respawns loot, because I can still find valuable stuff even when doors are all open. You gotta be lucky though.
Here's my current inventory:

[smg id=7393]
Here you can see, besides the usual, that I have equipped a Makarov pistol. I was lucky to find 3 magazines for it, which all hold 8 380 auto rounds. I even have like 50 extra rounds left, so I can still fight off some zombies with that small handgun. It isn't like the FNX, if you're lucky you kill a zombie in 2 shots (1 headshot should be fine too). It doesn't aim that perfectly either, so most of the times I waste between 3 and 6 bullets on a zombie.
I also found an AK101, which is the export version of the AK74M. Both riffles consume the same rounds as the good old M4, the well known 556x45mm and I happen to have found a couple. But no magazines for it so far; they are really rare, or just looted already by others.
I did find a lot of 30 round mags for the AKM though, jet no AKM to be found :-\\
The AKM, as you may remember, uses 762x39mm rounds, the same as the SKS. I found lots of them, jet to no avail.

[smg id=7394]
This second pic shows the lower part of my backpack, and there things start to get interesting. As you can see I carry a small riffle in my backpack; it's the AKS-74U, with a short barrel. It's made for a new type of ammo, the 545x39mm rounds. I did find some, but am still looking for a magazine.
The fact that you can hold this riffle in your backpack makes it very valuable, because then we will be able to carry both sniper rifles and assault riffles at the same time. Without having to carry weapons in your hands.
The small pink handgun is called a Deringer, and is a very tiny ladies handgun. Only holding 2 .45 bullets, but quite effective and with good efficiency. Nice to keep at hand for tight situations ;)

I found out that carrying weapons in your hands is working better, since you won't drop them on the ground every time you pick something up or eat something. Only when you grab another weapon you will drop the one you hold in your hands. That is an advantage, but holding an extra riffle in your hands is extremely unstable. More than once I just lost it while running or being crouched; just vanished. Sometimes it looks like you are still carrying it, but the weapon is invisible. When you try to use it; gone!
So another reason to have an AKS in your backpack, it will stay there no matter what :)

Here's a nice example of the possibilities concerning hunting. A deer on a far away meadow:
[smg id=7391]

Not easy to catch with a single handgun. Once they spot you, they zig-zag away and it isn't easy at all to hit them in the head, which seems required to take them out.
[smg id=7392]

All together I am a bit disappointed about the available loot right now. It takes a lot more to get a proper set of weapons, and sometimes you just visit empty areas, which can be frustrating. On the other hand, it's more realistic. I see a lot of new stuff, like lockpicks, brass knuckles, stun batons and iron wires, but they don't seem to be very handy. We will see, what will be possible with all the new stuff. 8)

Art Blade

nice report, man. +1 :-X  :)

:laugh: "DEER! BOOM, HEADSHOT!" with a Derringer :-()

Binnatics

Thank you :)

It was a Makarov in this case, and a lot of BOOM before the headshot came :-D

Binnatics

Today I spent another couple of hours roaming through the new 0.50 Chernarus and a few more changes drew my attention. First of all the behaviour of the zombies. They cannot run through walls anymore. Well, at least they do their best to find a normal waypath towards your location. And they can also climb stairs. So the first floor is no zombie-free terrain anymore.
I also have the feeling that they don't hear you from miles away anymore. I can shoot a zombie with my AKM in the tents area in the North-Western Airfield, and still find a hidden zombie at the fire station in the middle. That means two things; zombies won't rush in like before all together, which is a good thing, but seeing a zombie in an area will not mean that there's no human presence close.
Zombies seem to also get distracted by other living creatures in the map, look who's hunting: ^-^
[smg id=7395]
[smg id=7396]

When I first discovered this, I was drinking water from a well, and heard a zombie coming closer. Then I heard some stumbling and the zombie sound seems to move on. I was surprised, already armed to the teeth in case not only I found a zombie on my path ,but another pathfinder as well. Then I saw the zombie, running after a deer, just like the bugger up here. After a while he returned, and tried to catch me instead. I was prepared >:D

Now there's this new thing, called "persistence". It has everything to do with loot. Persistence will make your gear (and all loot in the game) stay where it is. Even if you log off, a server restarts (and maybe even when you die) the stuff will stay on the spot where you left it. This makes it possible to create you own hive, somewhere in the woods, where you keep your precious stuff. This persistence got to come with some sort of loot-respawn-rule, but that seems to not w@&k properly. Usually when you roam in a server with persistence on, the looting areas are nearly empty. Only rubbish is to be found, and occasionally some worthless crap. Somehow the respawning doesn't act the way it should, or maybe the frequent players in the server have collected all goodies and keep them away from visitors.
Anyway, I'm glad there are still servers that have persistence off. Not many though, but when you are in a server with persistence off, you can loot the way you used to. The doors are not all closed after a server restart, and the restarting process seems less fluid. Most of the time the server stays off-line or inaccessible for a short while.
Anyway, until I got properly geared up, I prefer the old fashioned servers. Maybe when we are a clan of let's say 4 or 5 geared up players we might create a proper shelter somewhere in a place only we know if ;)

Binnatics

Yes! I met Stiku! Yes, I was able to help him gear up with a Makarov, and AKM and magazines for both guns! And then, we became ruthless seeking for more, and then Stiku got killed :-(
I went on searching for loot a short while longer and happened to find, finally, one of these extended assault vests. The ones that you should be able to combine with a double backpack, which provides you with LOADS of space.
And I also found a single magazine for the AKS. Guess what; it's brown! ????

Art Blade

I'm just glad I didn't join because getting killed would definitely have ruined my evening.

Stiku

Being murdered is just part of the game, take you an hour to get up to speed again and continue where you left off.

But here is a Zombie

PZ

Soon we'll see him on Dancing with the Stars

Binnatics

:laugh: followed by "The Voice Of Zomb" ^-^

Binnatics

I found a tent!!!!

...and deployed it in a Persistent server!!!!

...rejoined the server after I left it and... It's still there!!!

Will check out again tomorrow, if it works overnight, this is going to be cool!!! 8)

Will post more details and screenies tomorrow ;)

PZ

🡱 🡳