International cuisine...

Started by PZ, May 11, 2009, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Oh boy... it sure does looks delicious  :)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Mettwurst und teewurst - two of my mother's favorites - have not thought about those two in a while - thanks for bringing back the memories, Art.

RedRaven

sausage and beer :-X :-X :-X
have seen sausages in the shops vary from 20% to 95% meat content, wont buy them if its less than 90%,
Cumberland and Linconshire are best from UK, not had any PROPER german sausage since was about age 10, whilst living out there, still think its a really beautiful country, cant wait to visit it again (adult now too so many many beers ;D)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Shrimp "escondidinho" with leek

- 2 kg of medium size shrimps, already clean.
- 1 kg of mandioquinha (is a typical saouth american tubercle, don't know if can be found elsewhere) or potatoes.
- Leek (one piece, chopped)........... hope that's the word for that stuff  ::)
- onions and garlic
- cream cheese.

Put the onions in a frying pan with olive oil. After a few minutes, put the leek, garlic and the shrimps.
The shrimps should be good after 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and stir for a few more minutes
Keep it on a plate.
Prepare the mashed mandioquinha (potatoes) the normal way, with salt only.
To prepare it, take 6 flat bottom bowls, like those used for soup.
Put some of the mashed potatoes on the bottom and sides of the bowls.
Add the shrimps with cream cheese and fill the bowls
Cover with some more mashed potatoes and put minced cheese over it.
Take it to the oven (medium temperature) for 15 minutes or till the cheese is melt and grilled.
Serve individual portions with a good wine...

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Wow that sounds tasty - I love those mashed potato-style dishes filled with something savory.

I've not experienced sausages like you named dke58 - I've only been to the UK once (London) and that was about 4.5 decades ago.  My wife dearly loves to travel, and I must admit that I love to sample the cuisine of the area.

I can't say that we have anything really unique in the pacific northwest except the salmon - probably the best I've had.  I like to get the Copper River wild salmon (when available at the market) and smoke the fish at home.  Because I enjoy sushi, I smoke the fish until it done, but still tender and juicy.  Most often I use alder wood, but sometimes apply or cherry.

Art Blade

sushi can be great :) I like almost everything anyway  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Oh man... be able to smoke fish at home... thats just great!!  8)

Art Blade

Interesting how you can use kitchen-vocabulary in a different context:

to smoke s.o.
sugar
nuts
I smell what you're cooking!
couch-potatoe
vegetable
easy as pie
top banana
melons
sweet as honey
fruit-cake
tart
to cherry-pick
pot-belly

any more?  :)

PZ

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on May 30, 2009, 03:18:43 PM
-sweetie pie
-sweet cakes
thanks, but you gotta ply me with beer to get anywhere...
sweet talk don't do it.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

how about a decent meal? (not that I had any intentions LOL)

PZ

hahaha, you're a funny guy DKM!  In fact, both of you are really funny... bang... zoom...!

RedRaven

toasted
fishy
boiling
baps
meat & 2 veg

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Just have to tell you about two Sauces I love to use when preparing noodle soup.

This time Duck Soup with Noodles. In general all you need is Asian Noodles that come dried and packed like cushions, also called noodle nests. The aroma is in duck grease/fat, and a couple of spices if you like. That's not the point, the point is if you want to spice up a simple soup... and add some Asian flavour :)

First I use a brand from Thailand called "Flying Goose Brand" and the sauce is called Hoisin Sauce - great for it's typical asian and sweet taste. Also, the dark brown syrup-like sauce also adds a nice tad of colour to the soup. Bottle: http://www.heuschenschrouff.com/prodzoom.php?id=8130

Tried to find something about it, see here: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/HoisinSauce.htm  I quote:

QuoteDefinition: Hoisin sauce, also called Chinese barbeque sauce is a fragrant, pungent sauce used frequently in Asian stir-fries and marinades. Made from a combination of fermented soy, garlic, vinegar, and usually chilis and sweetener, hoisin is dark in color and thick in consistency. It has a very strong salty and slightly sweet flavor, which some may find objectionable.

Because the flavor can be overpowering, particularly if you're new to Asian cuisine, it's recommended that you use only a bit at a time to experiment with the flavor. Or, dilute the flavor by adding water or oil to the paste before using in a recipe. Hoisin sauce is a great way to add an authentic Asian flavor and thickening color to a stir-fry or noodle dish

I don't agree with "pungent" and "salty" of that article, though. I find it sweet and exotic. And the spices used in them make those sauces really interesting. That's why I recommend the flying goose brand - better ;)

Second I use Flying Goose Brand's Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce because it is hot (75% chili) and spicy and has a neutral/sweet base opposite of American Hot Sauces like Tabasco which are often based on vinegar (I have Tabasco too, and I like it a lot, but doesn't really go with that soup). Sriracha is made from sun ripen chilies which are ground into a smooth paste along with garlic. Bottle http://www.heuschenschrouff.com/prodzoom.php?id=8012

Armed with those two sauces, maybe some Japanese Kikoman Soy Sauce if you need some additional delicate salty taste, you can pimp up almost any soup and surprise yourself and guests  ;D

Go enjoy it, I just did (flames whooshing as I breathe)  ;)

PZ

Sounds delicious, Art.  I use Hoisin, Asian chili, and schezuan, another wonderfully spicy Asian sauce whenever I make stir fry.  I also always use black bean paste to thicken the mix - and it adds a wonderfully fermented flavor.

Using various combinations of the above (depending on my taste preference at the time) I usually like to flash fry small chunks of chicken, then stir fry the vegetables, and finally add the sauce. (Man, I love to eat...)  :-X

Art Blade

today I was in a part of my town where mostly "inhabitants with migration background" (=foreigners) live. I saw an Asia Shop (kind of insta-food and canned food store) and thought hey, maybe they have that flying goose brand and my beloved hoisin sauce. Remember, my fave shop changed their product range and brands, what I got there as a replacement sauce for "my" Sriracha (chili sauce) was Sriracha from "Mei Asia" brand and unfortunately had a sour taste to it, maybe vinegar or something which I specifically tried to avoid. They didn't even have Hoisin any more... gah. So I entered this Asia Shop... they had Sriracha from various brands and from Flying Goose! Good news!! So maybe... Hoisin? Couldn't find it. So I asked a Chinese looking man who shrugged and said something in a language I didn't know, and pointed at a woman. So I asked her, she didn't speak my language either, but replied after me "hoi-sin... H-O-I-S-I-N... ah, Hoishin!" and another woman came by, both talking fast, calling that man over and telling him to go somewhere in the shop, I followed him. He didn't find the sauce though, so I went back to the women and showed them a bottle with the proper brand symbol and one of the women spoke to me in a language that reminded me of my own.. oh.. it was my own lol. After getting used to it, she showed me some different brands, but hoisin sauces. I asked her I needed a sweet hoisin sauce (remember that article I quoted said pugnant and salty... yuck) and she moved to another couple of jars and handed it to me, told me it was very good. I now have a jar (!) with hoisin sauce from Hong Kong. Didn't dare to open it but I have it here, along with a new bottle of Flying Goose Sriracha. Will tell you how it goes once I open that jar :)

JRD

Bottled flying gooses and a jar of sausages  :D :D

If its not on CNN by tomorrow, I'll assume you did great  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

OK! Now you've done it! I'm opening it!

JRD

...I'll be checking CNN's website regularly then

Good luck mate... guess you'll be SBD king if you make it  ;)

Art Blade

WHOA! this one is even better than the one I wanted. YAY! It actually is sweet, reminds me a little of plum butter/plum preserves, both because of the dark colour and the consistency. It is indeed a dream of Hoisin sauce  :-X

Brand "Mee Chun Canning Co. Ltd.," Hong Kong. Excellent!  ;D

Quote from: JRD on July 23, 2009, 02:15:07 PM...I'll be checking CNN's website regularly then

ROFL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

What is SBD?

JRD

Excellent... and you have a jar full of it  :-X :-X

Art Blade

HEhe, yes...  ;D

I edited while you posted, what is SBD?

JRD

What? you are the one who remembered it to me...

Silent But Deadly ... and fully loaded  ;D ;D ;D ;D

PZ

You know... what Gord always lays claim to fame for.  ;D

[sorry Gord, I just couldn't resist, and you're welcome to return the favor any time]  ;)

🡱 🡳