Pork butt on the SRG

Started by PZ, May 31, 2016, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We wanted to have friends over for a Memorial Day event, and the day was definitely cooperating - beautiful weather.  Although my cook was not on a pellet grill, I did use GMG fruit wood blend for the smoke part of the cook.

I like using the SRG for pork butt because it provides consistent results and the cook only takes 4-6 hours.

Premixing the cheap yellow mustard with the rub is my preferred method

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" width="500" />

Into the SRG planning to take it just beyond the stall to about 200 degrees or so

Off the cooker at around 200 degrees, foiled, and into the house oven at 200 degrees until we are ready to eat

The meat pulled like butter.

While some of our guests wanted Sweet Baby Ray's, I wanted to make a Philly cheese butt, so onto the hot iron the meat goes, working in slices of white American cheese.  Then, topped with caramelized onion, the sandwich was quite tasty.

Art Blade

Nice stuff, PZ :) I like the colour and the little dark dots of your mustard erm, sauce? :) Looks a bit like moutarde de Dijon à l'ancienne.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks, AB, yes it does look a bit like Dijon, but it is actually a pork butt rub designed for low and slow BBQ cooks.  The yellow mustard is nothing more than the "glue" that holds the spices to the meat. Funny thing is that after the smoke is complete, you don't even taste any of the mustard at all.

Art Blade

ah OK :) Sure looks pretty tasty. :)

And about that pulled pork sandwich, it is something I'd like to wedge my fangs into >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Wow, that looks delish PZ :-X The pork looks super tender!

Dweller_Benthos

Oh yeah, love me a good pulled pork sandwich. Place I used to go is no longer in business, and the one much further away is OK but not quite as good. Other places have it, of course, but they are general restaurants and are a much lower third choice.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Thanks guys  ^-^

Yes, the pork was super tender, and the spice rub made the meat most savory.  We've all had sandwiches where you take a bite and a big hunk of tough meat comes out with each bite.  Not so with this slow cooked pork - you bite through as if there is no resistance whatsoever.

nexor

🡱 🡳