(pre-release topic) No Man's Sky

Started by JRD, March 13, 2015, 07:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

After reading about the recent surge in survival/explore games around here and at some other websites too I stumbled across this game: No Man's Sky

It's kind of an exploration rather than survival game set in space. There doesn't seem to be anty specific goal or any background story. You are a man on a spaceship and you travel across the universe exploring planets. Now it doesn't sound that cool but it seems that everything in this game is procedurally generated, which makes each and every single interaction a unique experience. The planets seem to be full of different environments and very alive. You can craft and upgrade your spaceship to better explore the galaxy and when they talk about a galaxy they mean billions of different worlds to explore.

The survival part comes from an apparent urge that players have to move from the starting point, at the outer rim of the galaxy, towards it's core. As you get closer to the center of the galaxy you are bound to interact with hostile life forms and will have to survive if you are to reach the center. Not sure what is there to see but if you are just out there, exploring, then its about the journey itself and not the destination anyway.

If you die you are left on an escape pod, adrift, and lose all your upgrades. You will have to start over again so there is the penalty for being reckless.

I admit this is not the kind of game that makes me grin but it does sound like something nice to waste a rainy weekend on. Below is a link to all five released trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5vwfEaONg
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

I've heard of this, but never looked into it, thanks for the link, seems an interesting premise.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

JRD

Yeah, it's an interesting premisse indeed. I just don't think it could live for too long though. I guess they'd have to make a fantastic job in the progression and upgrading of your spaceship to make it last for more than a few hours of gameplay. It seems that you can catalogue new species to earn credits you spend on upgrading your ship but I don't know what else you can do. After you've seen a dozen different worlds what else would you do? See more different planets?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Looks cool. Reminds me of Wing Commander, the X-Universe and Avatar :)

QuoteThe game is scheduled for release in 2015, and will be a timed exclusive on the PlayStation 4, as highlighted during Sony's press event at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2014 and will later be brought to Microsoft Windows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky

6 minutes, 70 Questions&Answers

70 Questions And Answers About No Man's Sky

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Funny interview :)

It does make me curious all together. I like the graphics, but so far I think you are too much time inside your spaceship....
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳