Free High resolution texture DLC

Started by Dweller_Benthos, February 07, 2017, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Don't know if anyone is still following this game or not. I'm not playing it much anymore, but they just released a free high resolution texture DLC for anyone that has a Nvidia 1080 video card. I haven't seen any reports yet if it even works on any other video card or not.

Is it worth it? If you have the hardware, I would say probably, since it's free. It's also 54.7 GB so download time will be quite lengthy.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

54 gb - OMG!  ???

I still follow this game although I have not played it in a while.
The Fallout series has been a favorite mainly because of the modding, with FO3 being my favorite of them all.

mandru

I'm playing it almost daily for a few hours each session but unfortunately I'm running a 980 TI so I fell just below the cut.  :(

FO3's a series favorite PZ?  Is that because of the game play + story line or the Mods available?

I've looked into what it would take to mod FO4 safely and there's just too many steps for me to be comfortable getting the mod manager installed, mod links set up and game backup file folders properly established and loaded to go after it.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

All of it mandru; I'm a bit of a loner in real life, and the Fallout series, especially FO3 resonates with how I would do things in real life given similar circumstances. I never became fond of FO- New Vegas. I like the music in FO3, the bleak landscape, and even the towns with plenty of people. There is a mod that allows you to add your own soundtracks, so I found a site that had old advertisement recordings out of the early 20th century and put those into my radio station - it was fun walking the landscape listening to the vintage ads. The monsters are a bit of a stretch, but because the rest is so enticing, I overlook it, especially with the modifications.  I have done all kinds of mods including a player house in which there are food gardens, places to hang all my outfits, and armory that is really useful and many other things. I've also added new lands and new player missions.  There is so much to mod that the fun never ends.

Even though I really like FO4, I actually enjoyed FO3 more - just a personal thing I'm sure.

You might consider modding anyway - I've ruined several an install, and simply just reinstall and start over if things become too mucked up.

mandru

I do think it would be for the best if I remain resistant to modding.  :-\\

I tried to rebuild a carburetor for a '62 International Harvester Travelall which had only 12 or so pieces in total.  Since it was as simple of a component as could be found (basically a brick with a few wiggly parts) I was told it would be fun and easy.  I was also told that stripping, degunking, and reassembly was a twenty minute lark.  ???

My truck was off the road for two weeks while I fought with that rebuild.  Reassemble, remount, attempt start up, put out the fire, pull it back off, disassemble again, and start over.  I repeated that loop probably 30 or 40 times and ruined 4 mount gaskets from wear and tear.

Then there was the incident with the neighbor's white Persian cat and a flaming back fire and singed fur requiring almost a month for the patches to grow back out.  :-[

In the end it turned out the fuel pump had developed a ruptured diaphragm.  Somehow instead of becoming decently dysfunctional it morphed it into the mechanical version of The Incredible Hulk capable of over powering the carb's float valve (that I thought was on the fritz) keeping the engine in a constant flooded state.

Once I'd determined where the real problem was and had removed the old fuel pump it became a simple additional four day struggle of getting the pump arm compressed and held in proper alignment while getting the first of two mounting bolts restarted and finger tight so I could get the second bolt in place and tightened before the spring in the pump arm kicked the whole unit out of alignment once again forcing a complete start over.  :D

! No longer available
Yeah, what he said.  ;)

Modding is intriguing but so is experimenting with live lightening.  :laugh:

PZ, are you running FO3 on PC or Play Station?  I mean you've got to be on PC as you've mentioned you've got it heavily modded.  :-\\

I looked up FO3 on Steam.  There was the FO3 game of the year version including all 5 DLCs was only $19.99.  Hot damn!  8)  :-X
Of course nothing is ever that easy.  :knockout

The neon highlighted print at the bottom of the page gave the the explicit warning "Notice: Fallout3 is not optimized for Win7 and later".  Vista and XP seemed to be the sweet spot for FO3.  Which leads to an observation that if it's not optimized for Win7 it could be even less compatible with Win8 and Win10 which I'm running.

I guess what I need to ask is are there any bugs you've encountererd (serious or otherwise0 with FO3 running on Win10 and it not being optimized for that OS?

- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

I've seen people post that they are running the high res textures on 970 cards. I have a normal 980, not a titan, so I'm going to try and see how it goes. I think since the textures are considered a DLC, if they don't w@&k, you should be able to just uncheck the box for them in the steam list to deactivate them. Maybe.

Mods aren't too difficult nowadays, they used to be a bit of a hassle in the early part of the game's release, but it's pretty simple now. Download the Nexus Mod Manager and install it, let it scan for your games. Select Fallout 4 and it will set it up for modding. Go to the Nexus site and find a mod you like, and hit the "download with manager" button. Activate it with the big green friendly check mark button and you're good to go.

I've run Fallout 3 on win 7 and didn't notice any issues. Not sure about win 10 though.
D_B

PZ

I'm on PC with the Fallout games because I only wanted to play modded games (I modded FO4 from the first day  :-() )

I haven't played FO3 on my W10 machine yet, but I think I might fire it up today to see what happens - I like a challenge when using a computer. 20 bucks for everything FO3 is a great deal mandru, and I know you'd get many, many hours of game play.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do the texture DLC, D_B  :-X

T.V.

Quote from: mandru on February 07, 2017, 08:03:09 PM

The neon highlighted print at the bottom of the page gave the the explicit warning "Notice: Fallout3 is not optimized for Win7 and later".  Vista and XP seemed to be the sweet spot for FO3.  Which leads to an observation that if it's not optimized for Win7 it could be even less compatible with Win8 and Win10 which I'm running.

Have Win 7 my self, and have no problems playing FO3.
I installed this patch before starting to play:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/19122/?

And I found this setup guide (with tips for Win 8 / 10 as well):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/22370/discussions/0/828937546147175081/
(Have not needed to use theese tricks my self, but kept the link, just in case.)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Thanks for the info and links T.V..  :-X
- mandru

PZ

Thanks T.V. That comprehensive list will come in handy :-X

I dug out the GOTY version of Fallout 3 DVDs and installed them on my W10 machine. At first it did not run, but when I installed the Games for Windows Live application, FO3 now runs just fine.  Funny thing is that you do not need to log into Windows Live, evidently FO3 just needs some of the files that the game requires. This is the direct link to the installer: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://download.gfwl.xboxlive.com/content/gfwl-public/redists/production/gfwlivesetup.exe

Dweller_Benthos

Ran the high res textures in Fallout 4 last night and didn't notice anything special, but it's been a while since I played and memory fades. I should have run it first and taken some screenshots before loading the new files. But I was lazy. I think on cards that don't have the horse power, it just downsamples the textures anyway. I was getting what seemed to me to be normal framerates, maybe slightly lower, but I didn't always pay attention to them before, but it was easily playable, dipping down into the high 30s FPS range sometimes. I may pick up a 1080 in a couple months and see if there's any difference.
D_B

PZ

Thanks for the report D_B  :-X

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I reinstalled FO3, and then went to the nexus site and downloaded their mod manager. I wanted to reinstall some of my most memorable mods like the texture re-dos, a particular sniper rifle, a special player house, and some other cool things.  The new mod manager appears to be quite interesting.

mandru

PZ, I had questions about:

Quote from: PZ on February 08, 2017, 02:46:20 PM

... At first it did not run, but when I installed the Games for Windows Live application, FO3 now runs just fine...

...This is the direct link to the installer: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://download.gfwl.xboxlive.com/content/gfwl-public/redists/production/gfwlivesetup.exe ...

1: Is that link dependent on installing the links provided by T.V. earlier in this thread?

2: The steps involved.  Would I need to buy then download/install the non-functioning copy of GOTY FO3 and then install the link you provided?

3: Is the Win Live application something that knows where it's supposed to to be installed or does it require manually mounting?

Sorry to be a pest on this.  :-\\

I've watched several youtube vids on installing the Nexus mod manager and the additional set up steps for adding each game you want to mod.  As much fun as that might add to my gaming it's too many steps, it's over my head, and I don't want to risk reinstallations of game software or run the risk of turning my rig into yet another expensive doorstop.  :(
- mandru

Art Blade

If you paint it nicely, it wouldn't be that bad a doorstop I suppose.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Not pesky at all mandru - you know we are all here to help each of us when we have information to share  ^-^

Please see comments in blue in the quote:

Quote from: mandru on February 09, 2017, 09:13:47 AM
PZ, I had questions about:

1: Is that link dependent on installing the links provided by T.V. earlier in this thread? Yes, T.V.'s link was much more detailed on what to do if it is not as simple as mine was.  However, the link to the WinLive app within his link is the same application as the one I posted.

2: The steps involved.  Would I need to buy then download/install the non-functioning copy of GOTY FO3 and then install the link you provided? That's what I did - I just pulled out the old install DVD media and did the FO3 install.  It came up with an error message indicating that it might not run on this version of Windows, but it installed anyway.  Once installed, I clicked the fallout3.exe file in the FO3 folder and it failed, giving me some sort of message indicating a missing dll or something like that.  With nothing to lose, I installed the Windows Gaming application.

3: Is the Win Live application something that knows where it's supposed to to be installed or does it require manually mounting? Yes, all you need do is double click the installed once it is downloaded - it knows exactly what to do and does not require intervention from you.  Once installed, I would try starting FO3 to see what happens - if it still fails, then I would try starting the Windows Gaming application.  After I installed the WinLive application, I started it and it asked me to enter a Microsoft ID, which I did not want to do.  So, I went into the start menu and clicked the FO3 launcher, and lo and behold, the game started without fail even though the WinLive application was not started.  I am not positive, but I think the WinLive application simply installed files that FO3 needed. Windows still comes up with popups indicating that the software might not run on W10, but I just clicked through them and the game started anyway.

One important thing I would like to mention though is that my version of FO3 has nothing to do with Steam - I'm using physical media. I do not know if the method I used works with the downloaded version, but from what T.V. posted, it sounds like it should.

Sorry to be a pest on this.  :-\\

I've watched several youtube vids on installing the Nexus mod manager and the additional set up steps for adding each game you want to mod.  As much fun as that might add to my gaming it's too many steps, it's over my head, and I don't want to risk reinstallations of game software or run the risk of turning my rig into yet another expensive doorstop.  :( I know what you mean - I do these things because I really do not care if I need to do a reinstall.  All I do is be sure I have a backup point in case I want to do a restore.

On an aside, I ran through the Vault tutorial, and then went out into the waste land to find and explore Megatron - I'd forgotten how much fun this game was.

mandru

Thanks PZ. that's just what I needed to know.  ^-^  :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

PZ

I hope that it all works out, mandru; this is a game that I know you would like, and would be able to play lots of hours.  I have only done the initial tutorial and have visited Megatron, but so far everything appears to be working.

mandru

Thanks for the assist.  It's loaded and running just as you described.  :)
- mandru

PZ

That's wonderful news mandru!  Now we can look forward to you describing your adventures  :-X

mandru

Heh heh.  :-D

Anything I encounter will all be old news to the former players and hardly worth reporting.  :laugh:
- mandru

PZ

Not really - I'm one that easily forgets what has happened and it sometimes appears that each morning is a new day with little remembrance of prior occurrences.  :-()

Besides, it helps encourage one to play the game again, especially when someone else encounters something that you never encountered in the original play through.

🡱 🡳