The Division

Started by durian, March 07, 2014, 01:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

durian

I've just come across this brand new IP from ... Ubisoft, it's an open world third person shooter sets in NY.

Out of the new games of the next gen, or I should say current gen, this game stands out as the most interesting. The only thing that I don't like is that it's online only game.

Check out this 15 minute gameplay vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84OIuVdurUQ

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

oh, wow. ???

That IS an impressive next-gen graphics game   :) :-X

And yes.. two things.. online only.. and.. it's fricking UBI  :D After all this time, FC3 keeps surprising us, when playing online coop, when a map actually finishes without bugs, crashes, game stopping bugs, or yet another new bug. FC2 patches increased the bugs without actually improving the game. And so on. UBI produce great games regarding ideas and all that but unfortunately, the support is less than sub-optimal. It is abysmal.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

fragger

Online-only + Ubi = 0 interest for me, even though it looks tremendous.

But thanks for the info, durian :)

mandru

It really looks good durian.  :-X

Unfortunately I am a hardcore single player which completely takes this off the table for me.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Looks like they're jumping on the Battlefield bandwagon.  There are many similarities with how it works in MP.

I must admit that I love the graphics and game mechanics, and the world kind of reminds me of an updated Fallout game

mandru

Bottom line I'm more driven by storyline revelation through mission and achieving plot flags than I am attempting to try to herd cats.

The environment looks sweet.  I'd love to get in and dig around in it discovering the secrets of the city but all I'd succeed in doing by going off exploring is pissing off any session  team mates I was shackled to.

Where this is configured to allow someone using a tablet to participate means that there's going to be a notable percentage of the time you'll be on a team handicapped by someone not serious enough to actually engage the game through a gaming rig.  :D
- mandru

Art Blade

I think you got that wrong mandru. I think the tablet is optional, like in GTA V for training your dog or customising your number plates with a smart phone or some such.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on March 11, 2014, 08:53:30 AM
I think you got that wrong mandru. I think the tablet is optional, like in GTA V for training your dog or customising your number plates with a smart phone or some such.

Yes, something like that.  There are two tablet apps in Battlefield, one called Battlelog, which allows you to see your stats, customize your loadout on the fly, and even see the battle map while you are playing (along with the player movements)

The other app is called Commander, and that allows a person to interact with the game using a tablet.  The commander also sees the battle map, can set high value targets depending on what he sees, and can even rain down cruise missiles.  The commander can accumulate points as well.

It sounds like Division might be like this in the long run.

Like mandru, I too would love to explore this world, and it would make an ideal environment for an SP game.

While I do not have a problem with the squads in Battlefield, it is not like this game in which you are shackled to your team mates - in B4, you can go your own merry way and not have to interact with the squad members.  I would not like being forced to run alongside your squad members.

mandru

The video showed someone playing with a tablet to rain down automatic fire on a pair of targets via a single soldier type avatar.  It was an aerial view which I assumed was due to the tablet's impaired graphics rendering capacity.

I had the impression that tablet players were able to join the game wherever they happened to be able to make a wifi connection and not just use the tablet as an additional controller but I could be wrong on that.  When Chloe - companion tablet joined the game (at the 11:20 time mark) I thought it was someone accessing the game purely on a tablet.

But for someone to be able to use a tablet to obtain an aerial view to sniff out my position if I've gone to the trouble to locate a nice little sniper's nest makes the game even less playable for me.
- mandru

fragger

Quote from: mandru on March 11, 2014, 11:01:18 PM
But for someone to be able to use a tablet to obtain an aerial view to sniff out my position if I've gone to the trouble to locate a nice little sniper's nest makes the game even less playable for me.

Yep, that would definitely be curse-worthy :D

OWGKID

The game lacks a proper anti-cheat on PC (you can hack the game without risking a ban) and some bugs allowed you to farm cash by headshotting enemies and deal insane amouths of damage (1 million+ per shot)
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳