Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by nexor, February 05, 2016, 09:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Good one, nex  :)

It's about time a Tom Clancy shooter becomes open world

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Ubislighltlybettersoft better not f***this up ::)
LEGACY

PZ

I think we all know how this will go - do a certain number of missions before you can unlock the next building. Pick a bunch of useless plants to make a miracle stimpack that will magically extract the last hundred bullets from your body, and skin some poor schmuck of an animal to build a crude holster before you can carry an automatic weapon that only fires in bursts of three.  Oh, don't want to forget that we'll need to kill a certain number of people with our bare hands before a weapons dealer will sell us that inadequate weapon that rusts to pieces within the week. And, as to health, instead of malaria, we'll all be afflicted with Zika - the only question is how far out of our way we'll need to go to get medicine. 8-X

oops... did I just say that out loud?

Binnatics

Don't know what you're doing with your mouth when you're typing, but I rhink I get the picture ^-^
Spoiler: ShowHide
 \:/
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

You're just about right, BinnZ  :-X

For the most part, Ubi takes inventory of the worst parts of prior games and incorporates it all into their new titles.

fragger

:laugh: PZ for that very apt earlier description of Ubisoft's games :-X

Art Blade

come to think of it, you deserve a kudo for that, PZ.  :) +1 :-X

nexor

OWGKID

LEGACY

nexor

The problem as I see it, who else makes better "open world" first person shooter games than them?

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Thanks gents  ^-^

Ubi had a winner with FC2, and I still go into that game at times because I love almost everything about it and overlook the annoyances. I've been disappointed with every Far Cry game since.  I love the AC series, but the pinnacle of that line for me was AC2 - most games since have been a let down. I'm currently dabbling in AC:Syndicate, which appears to be a blast from the past, but I've not gone enough into it to make a definitive judgement.

As to other open world games, I like ArmA3, but it requires lots of time investment to get the full value although I fully intend to do so one of these days. An ArmA3 "nut" could spend countless hours playing with all the mods and scenarios people develop.  I also like the Fallout games, mostly because of the post apocalyptic setting, and of course, the mods. The Just Cause games are also a favorite largely because of the massive maps and the run/gun chaos that is completely unrealistic, but entertaining none the less. At least the developers make it easy enough to accomplish most missions the first time around rather than forcing one to try countless times.

GTA games have never captured me entirely although I have tried.  For me, criminal activities in a metropolitan area is simply not interesting - perhaps because I see the results of such activities every night in the news - I don't know for sure.  However, I love to explore the GTA5 world, and maybe a trainer would help capture my attention to the game.  I really dislike having to start a mission 30 times because my skill level is not high enough to go through the first time or two. After a few failed tries I'm annoyed, and after a few more, I simply leave the game.

I guess the bottom line for me is that a game need not be fully realistic, but needs to be able to played by the casual gamer - one that does not have the luxury of countless tries to accomplish a ridiculous timed event, which are the one thing that would cause me to give up gaming.

I guess that I am sill looking for that special game that will be better than, and entertain me more than FC2

nexor

One aspect of FC2 I appreciated the most is the fact that you don't have to press a series of buttons for the character to perform a single function or change from one weapon to another.

Or like in AC, I could never manage to eavesdrop successfully   :D :D

Art Blade

I'm not slipping this one in before you, am I, fragger? :-()

fragger

You almost did, but I dodged it :-D

(EDIT: Actually, you did, but I dodged it :-())

PZ, I touched on much the same sentiments here. I agree totally with you on what you say. I love the game environment of GTA V, but there were a number of times where I had to rage-quit main missions and cool down from the exasperation for a while. If I can't get through a mission after a dozen tries because I keep failing to slip through some sort of fiddly, unforgivingly narrow window of success I give up. I don't like a game to be too easy, but I don't like ones that rely too much on overly-demanding time/precision to determine the difficulty level, especially when there's a checkpoint system involved.

There were two instances in particular that drove me bonkers - trying to evade the police after the gold bullion heist, and trying to ride the trail bike along the top of the train (there were plenty of other frustrating moments, but those two stand out). I don't think there was a single mission in that game that I ever completed in one go, because I would either make a single mistake that would snafu everything, or it would be unclear what I had to do or where I had to go next (until I learned it the hard way by repeated fails), or I would get blindsided by something totally out of left field. I hate it in games when rude surprises are employed as difficulty tactics. Once or twice maybe, but not on a regular basis like GTA V did. I think that's a cheap and dirty way of adding to the "challenge".

A shame, because there are things I love about GTA V. Mainly the openworldness, the richness of its environment and the possibilities for lots of fun tomfoolery 8)

FC3 was a letdown, FC4 better but still not up to par. So yep, still awaiting that worthy successor to FC2.

OWGKID

To evade from the police you could simply head down the same route used in the Jewel store heist ;)
LEGACY

fragger

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

FC2 had a lot of weaknesses but it had the best-looking and -sounding environment. The missions were nice, too, due to their non-scripted nature. And the merc dialogues as well as their idle activities were very funny and plentiful. I didn't like the feeling that everyone knew where I was at any time, that stealth was a joke, and that I couldn't walk around in peace to explore the areas as I would get spotted, shot or chased every other minute. And I bloody hated the deterioration of weapons. Still.. it was a cool game with cheats enabled that gave me the freedom needed to just do what I wanted to. :) No.. haven't yet found a game worthy of being called "the next FC2" (despite 3,100+ hours in GTAV)  :-()

Binnatics

Okay, time to give my answer to Nex's question too. First I skipped, because I expected another search for the never-coming FC2.1

I was triggered by the word 'shooter'. An open world shooter. That is indeed what Farcry games are. A shooter like CoD games, but in an open world environment.
If I just focus on the open world thing, I would come up with, like PZ did, Fallout games, ArmA games, especially 3 and DayZ, GTA above all, which is my all times favourite... GTA can be demanding I guess. I remember these missions in where the frustration level is rising above the boiling point in every release. In GTA San Andreas there was also a mission in which you had to drive along a train and, instead of jumping on it, shoot some bad guys off. Probably the worst mission I've ever played. But to me 95% of the GTA missions and activities aren't that hard. Usually when it comes to the other 5%, I see it as an extreme challenge where you really get to give the best you got. The summit of skill demandingness was New York Minute Hardcore in Max Payne 3. Not an open world game, very linear (but a shooter nevertheless) where they gave you the challenge to do the entire game in one single go without dying once on the hardest difficulty. I took the challenge and spent weeks practicing. But everyone can choose to leave it aside.

But we're talking about a shooter in open world. GTA is not a shooter. All mentioned games aren't shooters, although ArmA3 comes close. I think the only good open world shooter is Borderlands 2. that's a shooter. And open world. It may not tip the quality we admire in FC2, but it's the best open world shooter imo.  8)

🡱 🡳