My graphics card's broke, no RIG, no gaming, HELP!!!!

Started by Binnatics, November 02, 2011, 03:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Dear OWG fellows, I am facing one of the biggest problems of the year. After my leg and other unpleasantries I thought this year would end great (it will because we go to Peru this december) but no.... They TOOK MY RIG!!!

Well, actually, I brought it in. I had lots of trouble with system crashes, usually resulting in BSoD's. So I decided to let it sort out by the shop I bought all the parts. Well, they were willing to check things out, and I brought my RIG to them. They said that the testing would for sure not take longer then until next saturday (which was a hard demand on bringing in the stuff) and they would let me know if the costs would raise higher then 35 euros for testing only.

I was all happy that I would have my system back for the weekend with at least an answer to all these system failures.
Well, now I'm happy because I don't have to pay s#!t, and will get a new (or repaired) vid card for free (warranty). But they told me that the manufacturer who takes care for the repair will have 4 WEEKS (!!!!!) to take care of the thing :o

What am I supposed to DO all the time? Just now that B:AC is coming out? :o And now that the whole world is heating up for a probable soon top be released GTA V?

All I've left here is a MacBook, so I can at least access OWG in the mean time. Anyone ideas what game to play on a MacBook? :-\\

Anyway, the winning idea gets 2000 credits as soon as the shop is back online  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

A MacBook?

Geez!  You don't even have access to Minesweeper!   ???

At least we know that you won't be off on Youtube getting addicted to Skrillex.  *Whew!*  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

:D no minesweeper... Skrillex????? You're not holding it down are you ???

poor me :'(
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

STEAM has at least 16 titles available for Mac, including Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Duke Nuken Forever, all paid, and Team Fortress free to play!  :-X

Now, did you say 2000 credits or euros?  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

I don't know how old your MacBook is and thus what graphic hardware may be in it, or whether you're prepared to pay for any Mac games, but I did find this (speaking of GTA SA...) Dunno if it's of any help to you :)

http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/games/10-blockbuster-games-available-for-mac/

Binnatics

I guess euros won't be of much value after greece collapses, so I can set you at rest: I was talking about real, shiny OWG credits ;)

Binnatics

Owwww, Fragger, you're forcing me to start the fight with my wife, who happens to be the owner of this Macbook Pro.  :-( I'm pretty sure it will run GTA: SA since it's brand new (here should be a smiley crunching its own teeth)

JRD

One can never have too much of GTA:SA, fragger wins!  :-\\

Art Blade

One household can only have one boss and he's owner of all computer hardware. He installs on it what pleases him.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on November 02, 2011, 03:57:52 PM
...All I've left here is a MacBook, so I can at least access OWG in the mean time. Anyone ideas what game to play on a MacBook? :-\\

Pong?  ????

Sorry - I'm not a Mac fan and couldn't help myself - it's a serious problem that I have  :-()

mandru

Binnatics, Pogo.com owned by EA Games has a wide selection of what I find to be amusing free games for times where I want something that's a little less intense than FC2 or AC2.  You might be able to find something there to keep you from completely Jonesing (suffering withdrawals  ;)  ) while passing the time until your gaming rig is restored. 

The games are played in-browser and can be accessed either with a Java plug in which should suit your needs or Flash (which to my understanding is not supported by Apple products) and while some of the games are only available through membership the majority are free to play but you have to put up with advertisements on occasion between rounds.

I go to Pogo early every morning to do the crossword puzzle in Crossword Cove with my coffee and a few times a day will load and play Phlinx which is a shooting gallery type game that is not time based but every couple shots the bank of targets advance towards your position and you attempt to beat them back by using the colored shots you are given to create matches of three or more which removes them from the board.

I've had a free to play account with Pogo for seven or eight years and have never had third party spam pop up in my emails because of that site but I had to set it in my user account preferences that I didn't want my info shared and I don't want to be notified of EA's news releases or their new products.   :-X
- mandru

mandru

Wow!   :o

The sound of crickets resulting from that suggestion is almost deafening.   :laugh:
- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Fiach

Buy a 360 and get something meaty to play like Mass Effect or

http://www.listal.com/list/top-50-xbox-360-games

You could probably get the system and a few games for the price of a gfx card.

Sorry you have had such a bad year mate  :(
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" />

Binnatics

Well, the years isn't so bad really. Okay, I'vr had bad luck with gfx card and leg, but for the rest my year has been quite exciting. I joined OWG, I quit smoking and in december I'm going to visit Peru again ^-^
Besides, economically speaking everything is working out fine as well, since the € doesn't collapse yet 8-X :)

Art Blade

Binnatics

Art Blade

you could still find a diamond and become a millionaire and buy a massive rig  ^-^

nexor

ahem Binn....   I can offer you fiji golf,  or the original Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego    :-D

Fiach

You could try some of the Point and Click Adventure games, they are really good.

Broken Sword.
The Longest Journey
Syberia
Tunguska

They will run on a calculator lol, and they are kinda slow paced, so you dont need a speedy mouse control-wise. :)

JRD

Chess? Checkers? Bean poker? Paper-Rock-Scissor? Tic-tac-toe?  Table top / board games?  ;D

Seriously... a book to read?  ????

Fiach

Art Blade

That guy's stories frighten me. They sound too real.

Binnatics

Reading?  ???? Oh, reading! Now that's soooo 2009 :-D

No, seriously, I do read a lot lately. Mostly I read the newspaper. I have a subscription with an newspaper since a month or so. Thought that might help me quitting, and indeed it helps. Since then I read it every morning, quickly before w@&k, and in the afternoon I read all the opinion pages. It's a modern newspaper, tabloid size, with not too much news and more opinion. It kind of connects to the new style people with their smartphones, twitter etc.
I'm not like that, don't have a smartphone nor a twitter account but I like the style of the paper. It's fresh in its design and articles and sharp in its opinions. The weekend edition is huge. With big sections about science, again opinion, economy, a section called 'luxe' full of luxury lifestyle and more.
The paper swallows most of my attention lately, and of course I keep reading the forums ;)

And I found time again for the book I've been reading for quite a while already. It's called "The Shadow of the Wind" written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
It treats about the life of a boy who's youth gets heavily influenced by a book he found when his father, the owner of a second hand bookstore,  takes him to the 'graveyard of forgotten books.'
It's an amazing story that takes place in the Barcelona of the early 20th century, just after the World Exhibition has taken place.
I like books that treat in that specific period, when Paris is still far away and a Hatter is still a respectable craft.
The book also shows the most morbid side of humanity, which is present, I guess, in all big cities all over the world. But the way this story focuses on the cruelties of a corrupt and sick police officer, and on the dark and filthy corners where the poor spend their last days, somewhere in the back of a smelly, pulsing and gurgling monastery, makes you realize that the comfortable, structured and easy life we use to live is actually a careful balance on the thin line of society.

Well, to go short, it's a great book. And all this reading is indeed helping me through.  ;)

🡱 🡳