The most bang for the buck in any game I have ever seen

Started by PZ, April 05, 2015, 10:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

ArmA in all its iterations are the most cost effective of all games I personally have experienced.  Because it is PC based, the modding potential is endless with literally so many community created missions you would never be without something new to do.

ArmA3 for me is definitely the best version so far because the graphics are excellent, and the "feel" in the game is different than the average shooter.  Because it is a simulation, the experience is more lifelike than the typical game

It will take a while to become accustomed to the controls, but the fun potential will be endless.  Here's a video that shows what a beginner might do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzSQ3rewOXo#ws

Binnatics

It is a great game indeed. But the campaign can be a bit disappointing when it comes to the end. I was just getting the hang of things, and suddenly all was over :-\\
Haven't tried the downloadable missions though, they should be great fun :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

From what I recall with ArmA2, I felt that the campaign missions were more of a teaser of what could be potential.  The real fun was in exploring the development community.  I also remember it was quite easy to mod the game even with no experience - I recall one of our members putting up a mission or two

I just visited Armaholic yesterday, which prompted this post - there were countless mods and missions to be had, which hugely extends game play.  There seems to be quite a dedicated following for the ArmA series.

PZ

One feature I really like is the ability to look all around as you are running in a straight line.  It makes you feel like you have a neck that actually turns right and left rather than a neck like a rigid post that does not redirect your eyes unless you turn your body in a new direction.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

thank you Binnatics  :)

It's from FC4, cut out of one of those Pagan Min propaganda posters.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

ArmA games are definitely a completely different experience from the typical shooter I normally play.  Even on easy, it's not running and gunning unless you want to quickly die.  In one mission I was doing, there were enemy dispersed throughout woods, and lying prone in the taller grass - quite a challenge to get to the rendezvous point.  I was too late... my comrades left without me and I had to make it to the secondary point, which was a long way off.  However, I did manage to find a vehicle down the road, guarded by enemy of course, but I did manage to steal the truck and finally make it to my destination.

Those ungrateful friends of mine weren't even apologetic for leaving me to the wolves.

Binnatics

PZ

I'm not sure of the name, but it was the one where you first get to where Miller is found at some kind of camp.  I redid the mission yesterday and managed to catch up with my squad and the experience was entirely different - there were many more enemy to kill along the way, which was on foot.

I was better off missing the boat and stealing the truck  :laugh:

Binnatics

I thought it was indeed that mission. Just after your commander dies on a landmine. I found a good way through to the friendly squad by climbing the mountain on your left hand. Close is an enemy squad chilling around a truck. If you manage to quickly kill those, you can steal the truck and Bob's Your Uncle. You will have to survive the run through the woods with your friends once united. And that is indeed a bit difficult.  :-D

I didn't know it was possible to go on even if you miss the friendly squad. I never tried. Always restarted if I was about to run out of time :-D

PZ

Yes, that's the one, and the first time around, I ran out of time, then found the squad near the truck.  Only killed the one nearest the truck and then ran to climb in and escape.  Then it was a leisurely drive to the rendezvous point with not a single conflict  :laugh:

I did virtual training with scoped weapons, and that was really fun, especially the part using the scoped weapons where you are trained in the art of range estimation through your optics.  I really appreciate seeing the bullet impact when you aim too low.

Binnatics

Yes, the bullet drop is made very realistic. I like sniping in Arma a lot. Wait untilyou get your hands on these high powered rifles with extreme magnification scopes. They are brilliant ^-^

PZ

Art Blade

JRD

I am right at the point where you leader dies after stepping on a landmine. I am postponing coming back to this game once I can focus on something so deep like this war sim. THis is a game I will come back to eventually, I know, but for now I need some quick and fun first person shooting action to keep me running and A3 is a game you have to really apply yourself.!  :)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

You're at a great spot, JRD, that's the one where I definitely needed to apply my open world skills for the first time in the game and find different approaches when one was not working.  The game will become really interesting, especially if you choose to apply mods, which is really easy to do with the startup application.

Tags:
🡱 🡳