Rotary Connection

Started by fragger, July 27, 2014, 01:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

This was covered by Nuyorican Soul around 2005, but not many people seem to be aware that the original was recorded by a psychedelic soul/jazz fusion outfit called Rotary Connection back around 1971.

This is the original version, which I prefer. There just seems to be more to it:

ROTARY CONNECTION-"I AM THE BLACK GOLD OF THE SUN" (1971)

Art Blade

Nice find, I like the 1970s :-()

That particular piece of music, from my point of view or for my taste however, is leaning more towards rock than soul or jazz but is surely centred about psychedelic styles. While it's an interesting piece of music, I can't get my head around that rock flavour and I've always found it difficult to enjoy psychedelic stuff even if it was funk.  :)

Oh and.. F*** GEMA >:((
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

That was good fragger.  Bit of a blast from the past. :-X

One of the album covers shown for Rotary Connection caught my eye.  A buddy back in the early 70's always had to drag out this one album at the winter parties he would throw and play Peace at Last.

Rotary Connection - Peace At Last

He loved the thought (from the lyrics) that is was cool that Santa must be stoned because any straight guy would only use the front door and that Santa must be smoking mistletoe.  The memory of those parties and his poor deluded pseudo hipness cracked me up a bit when viewed in hindsight.  ^-^

Running down the Minnie Riperton (the gold angel atop the stoned Santa tree) vids on YouTube cost me about an hour of my evening too.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Cheers mate. Funny story about your friend and his parties :-D I think I'd have to agree with him (and RC) - Santa must be a proper head to do what he does :knockout

I checked out a few Minnie Riperton clips too. She had an incredible voice. Her range was phenomenal, like some kind of beautiful, exotic instrument. Apparently her singing voice could span over five octaves, and she could sustain a note in a sixth or even a seventh octave ??? She was taken by cancer far, far too early, at the age of just 31. How sad, and what a loss :-(

Art Blade

that, erm, kind of spoiled my mood, but let's just say we should be happy because her voice is still with us. :)

And nice one, Santa high on that mistletoe. Now we know why he believed he could fly  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

🡱 🡳