The Q&A Topic -- You ask, We answer

Started by Art Blade, August 22, 2016, 05:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Let's collect here what we don't know but want to know. You've got a question? I'm sure either one of us already knows or we will try and find out together :) Also, if someone knows the answer is somewhere around here in a different topic, please post a link to the relevant post.

Q: I want to know, when do pirates actually show up for the first time after you start a career?

I assume after the third jump (leaving your home system) but it could be after the first jump. I haven't yet tested it but I might try without saving. Just gather a few fuel cells, then jump back and forth, each time checking for them to scan me. I know that after some time, all of us who have left their home system have been keeping on encountering them.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I can answer that one - I got attacked by a pirate ship in the very first system I jumped to. So expect them as soon as you leave your starter system.

Dweller_Benthos

On the universe map screen, there's the button to scan for discoveries which will show you if there's anything nearby that anyone else has already found. Is this a hit it once and it will scan and get back to you, or do you have to hold it down? Because doing both got me nothing.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

once you activate it, it will keep going. At least as long as the map is open. The longer you wait, the more likely you'll come across something :)

It also finds your own systems, not only anyone else's systems.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

OK, I guess my internet speed is what's slowing it down, I'll just hit it once and let it go and see what happens.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

I still get nothing in the map screen after hitting tab - what exactly happens? Do you get a list of found systems? Or do you have to randomly select things to see if any have been discovered already?
D_B

fragger

I never seem to get anything from that either. Maybe it works by proximity - if nothing has been discovered within x light-years of your position, then nothing shows up.

Art Blade

A: you can tell that it found something if it shows a right arrow next to the swirly curly thing that shows it's still searching.

It will keep finding stuff but won't show you as such, you can only sequentially check out what it found by hitting the corresponding key (shown bottom left, if there is a white right arrow)

Also, make sure to be in free mode, not anything else, or you'll never be able to check systems found that aren't en route. Free mode doesn't have a route so you may go just anywhere, as in checking out whatever it found.

fragger

Dweller_Benthos

I've never noticed a swirly thing that shows it's searching, where is it and what does it look like?
D_B

Art Blade

bottom left. Looks like this. I said right arrow but that is for the game pad. For the keyboard, you'll see "D" by default.

[smg id=9065 type=preview align=center caption="scanning"]

Dweller_Benthos

I've never seen that swirly thing, just the notice that says "hit TAB to scan for discoveries" so I hit tab and nothing happens.
D_B

Art Blade

same here - the keyboard TAB doesn't do anything. On the controller, it's the button that opens the inventory (ship, exosuit and multi-tool), try that key instead

mandru

A question about an aspect of the game I've not seen any of you guys mention is when you find a wrecked ship that has some upgrades in it can you strip out those upgrades and disassemble them to scavenge the components they are made out of?

I know that some rare mined resources can't be stacked.  But when upgrades (/companions?) containing rare commodities are dismantled the rare elements from that process will be stacked in your inventory.  I came across this from reading an account of one player's practice of making items while out collecting (if I have it right) that he was doing it this way to avoid making extra trips back and forth to his ship happily accepting the 50% loss of materials to gain the conditional stackability of rare resources when encountering a hot spot of a desirable rare element.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I split and moved your post, mandru -- here's the topic dedicated to asking questions :)

And I was wondering that too. It is possible to dismantle intact upgrades if you own the ship. But can you dismantle broken parts?

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks Art, I'll try the controller tonight.
D_B

fragger

I think I tried to dismantle upgrades from a wrecked ship but the game wouldn't let me do it, it wouldn't give me the option. I seem to remember trying it but I might be confusing it with something else I tried.

Art Blade

I have similar vague memories about only being able to repair those things but that was the starter ship (probably not supposed to dismantle those)

mandru

OK then, thanks.  You can't scavenge the broken upgrades from an abandoned ship.

Which brings me to (at least in my way of thinking) the next obvious question.

You've found all these ships cluttering up the landscape that (for whatever reason) you're not going to repair and claim as your own.  So at the very least can you scrap them for salvageable resources with your multi-tool?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

multi-tools only w@&k outside the ship and outside buildings. So, no, unfortunately.

Oh and, you can't dismantle a whole ship from the outside.

At least we haven't yet found any tools that could  ^-^

Art Blade

Q: what is the best way to get a ship wreck?

When I was new to the game, I came across one or two wrecks. Much later another one by accident, I actually bumped into it on foot. I tried those antenna things with that orange beam on top of them and got the location of a wreck once. However, I never made it to the wreck as I came across other points of interest on my way there and then the location marker was gone, perhaps due to reloading a savegame (which should have included the location, still)

I would really like to be able to check out a couple of ship wrecks. Cheers  :)

Art Blade

Funny enough, I just happened to find one. I used one of those buildings and inside I had to solve a puzzle. It started a massive scan wave and returned a location of a wreck. :laugh:

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on August 26, 2016, 08:51:08 AM
A question about an aspect of the game I've not seen any of you guys mention is when you find a wrecked ship that has some upgrades in it can you strip out those upgrades and disassemble them to scavenge the components they are made out of?

I know that some rare mined resources can't be stacked.  But when upgrades (/companions?) containing rare commodities are dismantled the rare elements from that process will be stacked in your inventory.  I came across this from reading an account of one player's practice of making items while out collecting (if I have it right) that he was doing it this way to avoid making extra trips back and forth to his ship happily accepting the 50% loss of materials to gain the conditional stackability of rare resources when encountering a hot spot of a desirable rare element.

[smg id=9102 type=preview align=center caption="wreck"]

For you, I went to the trouble and tested it. For me, I got a new ship out of it.  :-D

Let's say, it is a cumbersome endeavour. I found a shipwreck with 32 slots while I had a 31-slot ship and my ship was only bare bones, no upgrades, plus it was loaded with materials needed for crafting upgrades or repairing a ship.

Since the wreck had a ton of (broken) upgrades, it had fewer empty slots than my old ship. Which meant I had to change ownership and abandon a ship in turns just to shuffle the components around and to make room for dismantling or repairs. You need room for material in both cases. Only my old ship was packed to the brim, no spare room. I managed, however :)

The short answer is: you can dismantle broken upgrades and you don't need to repair them first.

But you don't get much out of it either, so it's not worth it, considering all the back and forth between two ships, pushing cargo around..it is only worth the effort if you want to keep the wreck. Crafting items needed for repair requires sometimes some extra spare slots which is quite a hassle. Well.. in the end, you will get a ship that can take you off planet.

What you said about mined resources can't be stacked, I disagree. You mine minerals and so on, which will be packed into 250 or 500 units per slot (exosuit or ship cargo) only crafted items may or may not be stacked, depending on what it is. Some are just 1/1 (1 unit per slot) while others can be 1/250 or 1/500 which is more common for mined resources.

You only get half of something back when it had been crafted in the first place. And it would be stupid to throw away half of what you got just so you can stack items. If you don't want to walk much, fly instead  :-D

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on August 27, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
Q: what is the best way to get a ship wreck?

What I've been doing now is:

- From the space station, I went down straight to the planet. found a location with a (?) symbol, didn't touch the "save here" pole but went straight in, if it's a riddle type of station I solved the riddle, and if I got a distress signal, I DIN'T use the "save here" (?) but left it as it was, like still undiscovered.

I went to the wreck, fixed it, and went up to the spasta for orientation so I could go straight down to the planet again and tried to find that same location again. Worked, since it wasn't like on the opposite side of the planet, just straight "down" from the spasta.

Then rinse and repeat. Same station got me two wrecks now.  :-D

[smg id=9105 type=preview align=center caption="wreck 2"]

fragger

Cool :-X

Those Beacons that you access with a Bypass Chip can be used over and over again, they don't seem to run out of things to find for you. I used the same one to find several Monoliths in the surrounding area.

🡱 🡳