Rage

Started by Dweller_Benthos, September 23, 2009, 06:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

spaceboy had a method of replacing my old 40gb drive with a 500 gb unit for about $50.  I'm going to look up his instrux one of these days and get that done (if I can keep the old console working - might be the laser).  Tough to find time though, I've not even set up the new console and I purchased it last weekend.  In fact I only have time to check OWG periodically throughout the day - just too darned busy.

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on October 04, 2011, 11:55:32 AM
In fact I only have time to check OWG periodically throughout the day - just too darned busy.

At least you have your priorities right :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

lol, Fiach  ^+-+

Re: Rage. I'll have to wait some, for various reasons.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

The more I see of this game, the less enthused I become. It looked more like a gritty survival game bace then, now it looks more cartoony and arcade style. The driving looked cool, until the buggy flipped itself back over .... ???? what is this, Twisted Metal?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on October 04, 2011, 01:01:19 PM
The more I see of this game, the less enthused I become. It looked more like a gritty survival game bace then, now it looks more cartoony and arcade style. The driving looked cool, until the buggy flipped itself back over .... ???? what is this, Twisted Metal?

LOL I loved Twisted Metal on PS2!  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

I have a $5 credit & a 10% off coupon for anything at Best Buy, so I might pick it up this weekend anyway. Even though I still haven't finished (read: barely started) both Duke Nukem and Crysis 2, what's another game taking up hard drive space?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

^+-+

well, GTA + DLC's, since the game will install itself twice. They made the DLC's available as stand alone games, but the downside to that is that when you want both, that's twice the entire game on your harddisk :D

Edit:
By the way, I just got word that my special edition is waiting for me at the store ^-^
I also read an article about the incredible load of bugs that's afflicting the PC version :o :-\\
Check thisone:

Rage Texture Popping
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I'd call that seriously slow rendering  ????

Like D_B, I think I'll get it soon - for the console though.

Fiach

Yeah on the consoles the pop up is "slight", but still there too.

Its the way things are going in the games world though, console games heavily outsell their PC counterparts, so the devs are going to look after that market first. I've seen a lot of forum posts from PC gamers that feel betrayed by ID, because of that devs original PC roots and its FPS history with DOOM etc.

But I can only speak for Ireland and when you go into any game shop here, the PC games section is only a fraction of any of the console sections on their own. Some dont even carry PC games (apart from maybe the Sims or a WoW expansion), other than that it's wall to wall consoles, games and accessories.

When a console is only the fraction of the price of a graphics card, let alone a full PC, you can play in front of a HUGE tv and with the advent of "couch co-op", cheap n cheerful is always going to lead the market.

I'm kinda kicking myself, buying a PC that will "run Crysis", yet the only recent game I have run on it is Dead Island, which is not a particularly beautiful game, I feel like it was a waste of money.

PZ

Same story here Fiach - go into any electronics store that sells games and you find many aisles of console games - you have to look hard to find the few shelves of PC games in my local stores.  Mostly I'll go online to find PC titles that I can't get locally.

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on October 05, 2011, 01:37:47 PM
Same story here Fiach - go into any electronics store that sells games and you find many aisles of console games - you have to look hard to find the few shelves of PC games in my local stores.  Mostly I'll go online to find PC titles that I can't get locally.

Actually thats a good point mate, online and digi downloads would cause the retail shop space to shrink I guess :)

Binnatics

Here's the same. All console what the clock ticks. And yes I feel like a fool spending a truckload of money to a rig that keeps suffering every now and then from bugs, crashes, lagging and so on. I need to spend more time to get things working than I want to, íf I can figure out what's causing the next lag, crash, disappointing graphics or whatever more could go wrong.
And I do all of this for what? Mouse aiming? tinker around with shiny metal heatpipes? Having my private 'gamer location' at my desk?

Earlier on I allways said to myself, I will never buy a computer dedicated in gaming only because then I'd spend too much time gaming. Is that still true? I spend all the time that I want to, sometimes really to much.
It pretty much feels like fooling myself.

Anyway, there's a small, tiny light at the far end of this dark tunnel of PC gaming; I've read an article lately that proclaims that PC games are gaining popuparity and that in 2014 PC games will be sold more worldwide then console versions. I don't know how they came up with these numbers, but it might be true.
The consoles are getting behind in the never ending power contest, and they will soon have to develope a PS4 or Xbox 720 or something. Maybe PC will be slightly ahead just before they launch their new systems :-D

Edit:
Just found the solution to why GTA IV wouldn't start after my clean windows install: It needed some "security updates for Microsoft visual C++ 2005 and 2010.
Oh, I'm so happy it finally works again ^-^
Maybe that's why I stick to my PC. Because everytime a bug is fixed I give myself a slap on the shoulder saying "well done, old chap, you fixed it again!" To be honest, I didn't fix anything, Windows update did. All I had to do was being patient :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on October 05, 2011, 02:11:28 PM
... I've read an article lately that proclaims that PC games are gaining popuparity and that in 2014 PC games will be sold more worldwide then console versions...

Lies promoted by Microsoft  :-()

Binnatics

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on October 05, 2011, 04:00:26 PM
Quote from: Binnatics on October 05, 2011, 02:11:28 PM
... I've read an article lately that proclaims that PC games are gaining popuparity and that in 2014 PC games will be sold more worldwide then console versions...

Lies promoted by Microsoft  :-()

Seeing as the world is going to end in 2012, that was a safe bet, I call shenanigans :)

PZ

Binnatics

Fiach

Got it this morning!

OK, well I have only played the intro mission, so its early yet, but just a few observations.

The Pop-up can be a bit disconcerting, but you do get used to it rather quickly. The graphics are pretty amazing, imagine Borderlands crisp clarity, with more realistic colours.

The enemies are similar to the enemies in borderlands, but christ they are agile fuckers! They dont run at you in a straight line, they will tumble, strafe, jump at weird angles to bounce off walls etc. There were times when they rushed at me, I felt I was playing more a survival horror game than a straight shooter.

The gun you get at the start, looks like a flare gun but fires bullets (its in the video), is a pain the the a$$, the fire rate is VERY slow and it can be a bit of a shock vs the mutants speed initially.

5 bullets to the head....wtf??? Dont assume your enemies are dead unless you see a death animation.

You map things to your D PAD like bandages/grenades etc. Select what you want and use the Left Bumper to use/throw.

When you die, a screen will appear, on it a line with a bright diamond on each side. The diamonds will rush towards each other and meet in the middle, you have to press "A" when they intersect, if you do it correctly you will revive and nearby enemies will be electrocuted.....tbh its easy but, you kind of think why they bothered, its not fun like eg "second wind" in Borderlands, where you feel like you are achieving something with your dying breath, but its like complaining about camels spitting, its what they do, so just get on with it I guess.

I only rode the atv and its handling is OK, the wheels dont rotate much when you drive, it looks really odd.

A very immersive world, excellent musical score both orchestral and moody slide guitar ala Borderlands.

I reckon you guys will like this game, I'm sure there will be alot of mods for this game too.

Fiach : Playing games early, so you guys can sleep a little longer.

Binnatics

AAarrrgghh

I bought the freekin'game this morning, but I got to activate it through Steam; and Steam says: Can't install the game because the game has not yet been released!!!!!!?? ??? :'(

Edit:
To be honest,
Spoiler
the guy in the shop asked me to not tell anyone about my purchase because they'd recieved an official briefing that it ís not allowed to sell the game until tomorrow 8-X
I won't tell anyone but he sold it to me because he allready sent me an e-mail before that message was recieved by them. I was about to silently enjoy the game without anyone knowing, but too sad Steam tricked me :'(

Fiach

Bummer mate sorry to hear that, I have a mate in Gamestop and while I didnt ask him for the game, he knew I had it pre-ordered, so he said made more sense to give it to me now, while I was in the shop, to save me having to go there again tomorrow.

I dont buy from Steam, since once I asked for a refund for E.Y.E. They said the dont give refunds on any product sold, except for pre orders and even then only in exceptional circumstances.

Personally I think thats a load of shite, as they had no demo for that bug ridden pile of manure, So nobody realised how bad it was. The product was not "fit for service" and thats a reasonable cause for return in Ireland. If I could have bought that game in Gamestop, they would have given me a refund if I returned it.

I have bought two other games from Steam, Amnesia Dark Decent (was about 2€) and Two Worlds 2 which I alread owned for 360, but it was only about 14€ in a summer madness sale, which is incredibly cheap as the game was about 35€ here at the time and I wanted it on PC for mods, which wouldnt be able to get on 360.

Other than that I wouldnt touch Steam with a barge pole. The only consolation I can give you is that its good and worth waiting for :)

Binnatics

Thanx Fiach, I will be patient. I don't have that bad experience with steam thank god. Anyway, I couldn't prevent the game from connecting to steam. It was automated in the install. Actually, I'm curious if the game will install it from the original disks, or will still get the 20Gb from Steam through internet, lol.

The game is printed on 3 disks, would be quite a waste of space if it would download the whole content anyway.  :-()

Fiach

Ah, I misread your post mate, I thought you bought it off Steam, you bought it in a shop and need to activate the game, yeah I remember they did that with Half Life 2, it was a major annoyance, so I bought the 360 version.

Well I have played about 2 hours now, christ it takes alot of shots to kill enemies (or I suck alot), but I swear I had the sights on their heads and even when the hits registered, it still took a few bullets to kill an enemy. I was at a stage in a mission, where I had more grenades than bullets lol! :)

Anyway, talk to a girl just outside Dans office and you will get 5 wingsticks (boomerangs), they are bloody expensive to buy at this stage for me, sometimes they return, sometimes not, but they are quite devastating.

Where possible, melee opponents (click right thumbstick), a few hits will kill them, I found it the best way to get bullets.

Pick up anything that aint nailed down, I havent a clue what half the stuff is for, but it may be handy later. Make sure you scour each room, there are also playing cards you can find/collect for a mini game that is supposed to be very good.

You will see doors with what look like golden cogs on them, you will get the blueprints later on to make a device to open them, so far I have just about had enough components to make them when I needed them, the rooms contain decent loot.

I got the buggy after a mission, but I notice that if you drive into the garage, it will tell you how much damage and how much repair costs are, which is annoying, I dont want to have to repair it. You can add weapons to it as your progress, I gather.

The Pop up can be quite annoying in a building, I'm kinda disappointed with that, I thought it would just be with large vistas, but no, in rooms it is the same if you turn quickly.

So far, I would still prefer Borderlands, but its early yet after only 2 hours.

Binnatics

Sounds like a struggle so far Fiach... :-\\
Hope it will get better. I read the book in my shiny retail version, and there they talk about different ammo types and upgrades. The weapon with which you begin, the small 'settlers pistol' is only strong enough to last for a 'vey small piece' of the game. You should get other stuff soon. But didn't you get the sawn off double barrel??

Fiach

I have the pistol you mention a double barrel and a combat shotgun also a sniper rifle mate :)

Its not that the game is a struggle, its just surprising that, for a shooter, there is so little ammo to pick up (like an enemy will drop two bullets lol :)) and it takes five shots to kill an enemy, especially when two or three punches will kill them. It doesnt seem to matter if you shoot them in the head or the torso and some (what ahould be) hits go un-noticed by enemies.

Yes, you get different types of ammo, eg buckshot for the shotgun would be an alternative, you also get different AR ammo and pistol ammo too.

Its a good game, but some things annoy me, For example, I dont see a reason to charge for repairs to a vehicle, this will prevent me using it as a method of transport in what is an open world game, but I still have the ATV to ride around in .... its just annoying.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on October 06, 2011, 02:38:17 AM
Fiach : Playing games early, so you guys can sleep a little longer.

^+-+

Tags:
🡱 🡳