First person mode

Started by PZ, April 14, 2015, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiku

Nice achievement, but the FP mode is too broken to be played at, also the game mechanics aren't really made to w@&k with FP.
Driving is fine, but the shooting, unnatural view movement is something that I can't deal with at all. I never had a gun recoil make my head jump up and down, and I have used a anti turrent gun on top of a armored van.

Art Blade

The 1st person view is my preferred way of playing when it comes to game action, particularly driving and flying is a lot of fun. When it comes to shooting, I also almost always use 1st person. However, there are quite many occasions that make me go into 3rd person view (like buying and testing new clothes and then those hair dresser sessions..) so my stats tell me I spent some 400 hours looking over my shoulders :-D Overall I spent way more than 1/3 of my online gaming time in 1st person which means at this time roughly 250 hours.

[smg id=8058 type=preview align=center caption="1st person ftw"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

LEGACY

fragger

Art Blade

I just realised that the times mentioned are online only. Total time played: nearly 1,200 hours. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

??? :-X :-D

You certainly got your money's worth, mate!

Art Blade

I should think so :-()

I remember people asking me whether I was still going to enjoy the game (it was only just released, unfortunately for consoles only) having watched around 12 different complete playthroughs on YouTube (third person only back then) and I always said, yes, I am certain I will. And I have been enjoying it tremendously indeed  :-D

PZ

Indeed - a good video game is likely the best investment in entertainment per unit money

For a decent bottle of wine and dinner we spend lots more than the price of a game, and the dinner only lasts a few hours at the most.

Stiku

Food is a necessity.  ;)
You should have seen my stats on CS and CSS before steam decided to wipe the times five years ago.  :D

OWGKID

Sniping in cover is a little bugged in first person. Sometimes, the weapon will not scope in properly if I try to aim up when in cover  :(
LEGACY

Dweller_Benthos

Noticed a few weird things in first person. One being you automatically swim while in first person, and you can't stop. Trevor drowned on me that way. You have to go to third person to stop swimming. At least on my system anyway.

The other being for some reason, sometimes, you can run (or actually walk a little faster) while inside in third person than in first. Doesn't w@&k all the time, so who knows.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

hehe, automatically moving when in 1st person sounds as if you had used a movement key while still in third and as if it had carried over when going into 1st. I found myself running when going into 1st sometimes and it was hard to "convince" my character to do as told, as in bloody stop running (in your case, stop swimming) However, if it happens only once in a while, it shouldn't be a game-breaking event. Drowning your character because you were unable to stop him from swimming sounds more like diving. In 1st person they tend to go down rather than up. Getting up works for me when I mash the green (A) button on the controller which is used to speed up when walking or running -- it makes the character go for the surface unless you use the direction keys for down at the time.

For some reason you can't run in certain parts of houses while there are some other parts where you may. Moving fast around inside a house is for whatever reason hampered by design.

Binnatics

I myself found a weird thing about swimming in 1st person as well; I can't make my character to dive. It stays on the surface no matter what keys I hammer. It's weird that the controlls for swimming are different when in first person than 3rd person.
I also noticed that running strafing isn't possible in first person; pressing shift will slow you down instead of turning you into running mode.

I think the first person is still a bit clumsy. And I heavily prefer 3rd over 1st in driving, since I have much better view of my surroundings. I'm a good driver in 3rd, while I seems a road-raging freak when in 1st :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

You mean when it looks as if a red-hot burning meteor had ploughed through buildings and traffic and everything, it was you driving in 1st person? :-()

Dweller_Benthos

Thing is, I don't switch views, so I walk (in 1st P) up to a body of water, and jump in. Immediately start swimming and can't stop, so I'm not moving forward, switching from 3rd to 1st while still moving forward, so that the key gets "stuck", just going into water in 1st makes you swim until you switch to 3rd. As for drowning, yes, I was diving in 1st and couldn't swim up.  I've also noticed what Binn mentioned, it's very hard to get underwater in 1st P, moving the mouse back to look down, holding shift to swim faster and then forward key usually does it, but again, swimming back to the surface can be tricky.

I usually drive in 1st though, only switching to 3rd when I need to do something precise like tow a car or park in an exact spot.
D_B

Art Blade

yes, precise manoeuvring is a lot easier in 3rd

Dweller_Benthos

Some more info on swimming in first person. Trevor woke up one time (in his underwear of course) next to a really nice house with a pool and diving board off the balcony. So of course, I trotted him up there to dive off, doing it in 3rd person and recording it in case anything funny happened.

Anyway, he dove off nicely and as I was swimming around, I noticed that the auto-swimming in first person only happens when you are using mouse and keyboard as controls. If you use the controller, it doesn't auto-swim. Strange. I can get in the water using the controller and swim fine, but as soon as I touch the mouse or keyboard, it goes into auto-swim mode.

I also noticed that it's very hard (impossible?) to dive under the water using the controller, but using the keyboard, diving is easy by using the jump key (I think, might be the run key), but it's almost impossible to swim back to the surface using the keyboard, but a little bit easier using the controller. Also, like when riding a bicycle, tapping the A button on the controller makes you swim faster.

So, if any of you need to dive under water, use the keyboard, and then use the controller to swim back up. Go figure.
D_B

Art Blade

nice. :-D

when I want to dive using the controller, I use the right joystick to "look down" and I can dive easily. However, it doesn't w@&k if the water is too shallow which many of the pools are. Then I need to jump off the ledge and it will cause the character to dive. Staying underwater requires me to keep pushing forward or whatever direction with the left joystick while looking down every few seconds, otherwise the character tends to surface.

Dweller_Benthos

The dive button is supposed to be the X button on the controller but it does nothing when I use it. Holding the left stick forward should just move you forward, like it does on land, not make you dive down. Weird. I've also just let off on all controls when underwater and he does nothing, just floats there and drowns. This is in either 1st or 3rd person, makes no difference.
D_B

Art Blade

jump: first start moving forward, then additionally hit the jump key.

PZ

I had a similar problem on the PC - couldn't figure out how to surface and my guy kept drowning  \:/

🡱 🡳