movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

nice allusion there Charlton.  (irt DKM2s ref of planet of the apes from the fuel off topic post)

Are you're kids young enough so that you've seen the version of that scene done in Madagascar?  Was pretty funny to see.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

DKM2

dunno why that just popped into my head.  Seen (6/16) and had a minor moment....

but no, we've never seen it, he was old enough not to bother with Disney anymore.

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

JRD

Quote from: DKM2 on May 19, 2009, 11:03:49 AM
he was old enough not to bother with Disney anymore.

I had Madagascar 2 in my hands last week at the DVD rent store... what it makes me then?  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

DKM2

Quote from: JRD on May 20, 2009, 01:26:51 PM

I had Madagascar 2 in my hands last week at the DVD rent store... what it makes me then?  ;D

second childhood kinda old.... makes the wifes eyes do this  ::)        :)
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

JRD

Quote from: DKM2 on May 20, 2009, 01:59:33 PM
Quote from: JRD on May 20, 2009, 01:26:51 PM

second childhood kinda old.... makes the wifes eyes do this  ::)        :)

Hahahahaha... so I guess we are a couple of grown up kids... she was with me, choosing other kids movies... she's way more into it than me  ;D

spaceboy

There's normally a lot of good humor for the adults (not adult humor) in movies.  Definitely check out WALL-E.  A great movie with a message.

JRD

Good one spaceboy...
One of my all time favourite (Shrek is ors concours) is The Incredibles.......... what a great laugh.
I watched alone at home and had to stop and go back a few minutes cos I had tears in my eyes and couldn't watch any more.
Then my wife came home and we watched again and I just couldn't stop laughing all over again.
When Frozone have to go out and fight the monster but can't find his outfit and is asking his wife where is it is just hilarious... and Samuel Jackson is making his voice.... priceless  ;D

RedRaven

good topic guys, (especially for us big kids)
remember some of the classics (pre CG days)
Clash of the Titans & Jason and the Aronauts are 2 of my all time faves.
all the Indiana Jones films are good and entertaining.
also if your a fan of 007 but got young ones check out Stormbreaker.
cant recall any more at moment, memory failing me again..
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I bought Wall-E on recommendation of some old fart I know and was all excited about it, too :) By the way, Wall-E has a short film on DVD called Burn-E wich is kind of an addition to the main film, which made me laugh so hard and I had to skip back and watch over and over a couple of times, SO funny :) And also, TheIncredibles was so much fun to watch... Just love 'em if they're quality.

Watch IceAge, 1 better than 2 though. Classic!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Incredibles was great.  Remember the kid who watches Mr. Incredible on the driveway and then shouts "That was totally wicked!"?  Well, yeah I went to see the play "Wicked" with my wife et al and couldn't resist at the end to say the same line (not too loud, but loud enough for a glare from my wife).

Loved Shrek, 2 was good too but 3 went downhill. 

Also what about Monsters Inc.?  Great movie.  I just love the line when Randall is trying to get Mike to understand the scarefloor will be "empty" and Mike's finishes Randall's sentence.  "the scare floor will be....."      "Painted?".

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on May 20, 2009, 03:51:48 PMet al

= ? probably a typo, but I can't decipher it. sorry, but what does that mean?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

All you youngsters have just covered all of my faves too.  When we're in Texas we always try to see some movie with the grandkids ...just so we can see them. The kids movies have come so far with CG entertainment.  What is next?
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

Quote from: retiredgord on May 20, 2009, 04:17:00 PM
The kids movies have come so far with CG entertainment.  What is next?

Adult movies.  ;D ;D ;D

JRD

CG has come a long way, its true... but as DKM2 just posted a Yosemite Sam clip, I can't let the old school, hand drawn cartoons out of discussion...
Yosemite Sam, all Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck... (and Marty the Martian) some good Donald Duck and Goofy episodes...
Thankfully you can still find some of those to watch with kids. Not only that Dragon Ball crap or Pokemon stuff....

oh... and Tom and Jerry... perhaps the most violent cartoon ever, but worth watching every second of it ;)

retiredgord

Arts quote  " Adult Movies".  Am I the only one that remembers Felix the Cat  the adult cartoon?
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

No, I watched that too :)

Good adult stuff is very rare by the way, I really liked HeavyMetalF.A.K.K.2 :) (1was crappy)

RedRaven

I too remember felix the cat!
bugs bunny rules. and Tom and Jerry - what can i say but the original Itchy and Scratchy, and better. (except the new ones in which they talk !?!?!)
in terms of adult animation Manga deserves a mention (not just the X-rated stuff either)
best has got to be Ghost in the Shell - the movies and the series. outstanding animation and good, often deep stories too.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

oh yeah... Mangas, Ghost in a shell... was great! I liked 1 better than 2 though.

Art Blade

ah, it keeps coming... anyone seen Animatrix? was a series of short animated films around the Matrix. Extremely cool DVD.

JRD

Animatrix was cool... never saw Ghost in the shell, but heard good things about it. Will try to find it here, thanks for the tip ;)

And what about the Aeon Flux? Animation produced by MTV?

And more recently.. the Clone Wars?

Both are very cool in their own way!

RedRaven

I agree with you ART, Ghost in the Shell  is way better than 2
Also in some ways i prefer animatrix to the actual films.

Art Blade

only the first Matrix was real, the rest was a rip-off. A shame, really.

Aeon Flux, Clone Wars... the ones mentioned above...I got 'em all  :)

JRD

The first matrix was mind-blowing for me and my wife... we walked out the theater, had a sandwich and headed back in for another session...... excellent movie.
2 and 3 should never been made...  boring long fighting scenes and over usage of special FX

Art Blade

I can't count how many times I watched Matrix1... still, once in a while, I slap the DVD in and ahhhhhh goooood :) 2+3? once, never again. Only keep them for the sake of the trilogy.

I think you know Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. There is an animated flick about Pre-Chronicles of Riddic, called Dark Fury. Not so bad I'd say, not so bad at all :)

JRD

Riddick I know... but that Vin Disel guy is way too much posing and no truly interesting stories or characters...
Pitch Black I'm not familiar... but its about that same character (I just checked wiki ;) )

But we are out of topic now  ;D ;D ;D

Back on topic.. I love Harry Potter's books. Not too fan of the movies as they can't really get the universe, but its very funny... and it brought the kids something to read, which was something long forgotten... great one  :-X

🡱 🡳