movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

There was dialog in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior? Seriously, I bet if you typed it all out it wouldn't fill a page. I think it's about 15-20 minutes into the movie before anybody says anything, except for the voice-over. One of my all-time favorites, though. I do have the first one on DVD and one of the alternate audio tracks is the original Aussie-speak dialogue, though I can't say for sure if I've even watched it.

As for the third one, I was also more interested in the situation of the kids in the oasis than the whole bartertown scenario, if they are making a fourth film, I hope they fill out that story of what those kids are doing in the ruins of Sydney than any other story they might come up with.

And, of course, there's the wet rip-off version that Kevin Costner made, called "Waterworld" but it's essentially The Road Warrior on water. There are even some shots that are almost exact copies of ones in The Road Warrior. Still, not as bad a movie as some people make it out to be, especially the longer version which makes a little more sense. Sometimes when they trim for running time, they cut too much and just leave it confusing, like that awful wreck The Avengers. Bleccch.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

I agree, D_B, the part of Beyond Thunderdome that I found most interesting was the story concerning the kids. I thought they handled that extremely well, the way the kids spoke, the unspoken inferences about how they came to be there, and so on. And I agree with mandru, it was quite moving and thought-provoking when you thought about it.

With all MM films, I often find the concepts and background ideas more interesting than the actual on-screen stories. The attention to detail in them is great, there's lots to look at and to take notice of.

I do know that at least part of MM4 is being filmed in an abandoned warehouse in, I think, Sydney, so maybe we will learn a bit more about what happened to the kids after they reached what was left of the city.

Bit of trivia: Bruce Spence, who played the gryo-captain in MM2 and the pilot in MM3 was the man behind the mask in Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, as the Mouth of Sauron, who comes out of the Black Gates to parley with Aragorn and the others. You can't see him behind the mask of course, and they CG'd his mouth to make it look hideous, but that was him.

@Art, Lord of the Flies is a fascinating book, a great treatise on how rapidly people (or kids) can revert to a primitive state once the trappings of a civilized community have been removed. I must read that again soon, it's been ages since I did. It's now been filmed twice, the first time I think in the 60s, in B&W. That was quite good. I haven't seen the later version.

raistlinmajere8

Well hello Mad Max fans. I love Mad Max. IMHO they are the best movies. Ever. Period.

:-X

PZ

I was thinking of the old movie "West World" (with Yul Brynner playing a robot gunslinger).  The reason that this movie popped into mind is that I'm currently playing FarCry 2, Fallout 3, and the new Assassin's Creed 2, each game completely different from the other - kind of like moving from one fantasy area to another in West World - each attractive, but for completely different reasons.

Art Blade

Oh man, WestWorld! I loved it when it was on TV about 30 years ago and, for sentimental reasons, I bought it on DVD not long ago. Still good  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Not to mention the sequal, Futureworld. Westworld was better though.
D_B

Art Blade

For those of you who like to watch something totally and utterly away from mainstream cinema:

SYNECDOCHE
NEW YORK

Starring Philip Seymour Hoffman

It's about a man whose life slowly degrades, he loses his wife (she walks away with his four-year-old daughter) and turns him into someone who starts blending fantasies with reality. Hoffman plays a man who is professionally settled around theater, and decides to buy a large compound somewhat resembling a hangar to rebuild his life on stage. Creating appartments, houses, streets, and casting actors who play roles of people of his life, he transfers his life to a stage play. Slowly, the movie erases the borders of reality, and you start to immerse yourself into that wondrous piece of the unknown... Intermitting sequences that demonstrate he lost his sense of time, thinking his wife left him last week, while she left him a year ago... his so-believed little daughter has turned into a teenager... Following the stages of decay, hope, fear and borderline to madness, everything being somehow lovely and calm, no violence, yet strange as can be, you are dragged into the world of this film and it will stick with you, at least a little, after you have switched off your screen.

Give it a try :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Sounds good, cheers Art :-X

in ref to Westworld, cant think of Yul Brynner without it bringing to mind Bill Hicks and his sketch about Yul's bald noggin. Very funny.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

RedRaven

Started to watch a Russian film called "Night Watch" last night, what I saw before falling asleep was really good. Its the old story of Good VS Evil / Light VS Dark. But with some interesting ideas and special effects. Set in modern day Moscow, and mostly in Russian although the intro/narration was in English.
Its native title is Nochnoy Dozor, here is the IMDB link.

Going to finish watching it now, all being well the second half will be as good as the first.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

iirc there is a sequel/prequel clled Daywatch, maybe a videogame too if I'm not mistaken, never played it, though I seem t remember less than favourable reviews.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RedRaven

JRD

This one goes for Red (and everybody else, of course...)
A russian film named STALKER... yes, STALKER... from 1979 (7 years before the disaster), about a zone of exclusion in the soviet union created after some kind of accident!!
Sounds familiar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(movie)

Didn`t see it, but sparkled something in my mind  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

Cheers JRD, saw it a few years ago, its on odd film but good (as far as my brain can recall).  The game is very loosely based on the film, more like inspired by. Cant recall off top of my head which, but one of the bigger mods for stalker adds pages from the book into your PDA so you can read it whilst in the Zone (which I think is a cool idea).

Have heard that a film called "The Hurt Locker". going to watch it this weekend.

JRD

Geez... and I thought I was being original...  ;D

Art Blade

you are THE original JRD, JRD.  :)

Dweller_Benthos

Book of Eli this weekend.... anyone else going? I am.
D_B

RedRaven

Looks really good. Denzel Washington, Gary Oldham & Michael Gambon are first rate actors.
Oh and Tom Waits too :) .

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on January 15, 2010, 02:15:06 AM
Looks really good. Denzel Washington, Gary Oldham & Michael Gambon are first rate actors.
Oh and Tom Waits too :) .

Man... Tom Waits... he's great... singing, playing and also acting  :-X

RedRaven

Tom Waits is a real crazy man, his music is clever and surreal. And he always tends to play complete Basket-cases in movies too.  :-X

fragger

Tom Waits for no man!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Art Blade

took me a split second thinking "wth" and then I got it ;D ;D ;D

RedRaven

mmosu

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this movie Glorious Basterds .  I watched it the other night, and it was very interesting as it contains a significant re-write of WWII history - a "what if it had gone this way" type of scenario.  Overall I found it very entertaining and thought provoking if only in a hypothetical way (I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't seen it).  It also had lots of interesting dialogue and banter between the characters (who were themselves equally interesting).  Any other opinions out there?

Topic started here and has been merged with movie recommendations. /Art

Art Blade

I am still waiting for it to be released on DVD. Friends of mine who watched it at the cinema thought it was good :)

JRD

Man... as I arrived at the movie theatre it was sold out (I should've got it online  :D ) so I watched Julie and Julia instead... nice movie, made me hungry  ;D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳