AMD's new CPU lineup

Started by OWGKID, December 21, 2016, 08:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

1 week ago, AMD reveiled their new Ryzen CPUs. Pretty competetive performance, it beats and matches an Intel 6900K in select benchmarks (Blender/Handbrake). Also, they teased their Vega line-up (Their enthusiast 4K capable cards). It played Star Wars at 60+ fps at 4K

The stream from the start

Specs revealed for the "Summit Rigde" 8-core/16-thread CPU and Zen archicecture in general:

• 3.4+ Ghz clock speed
  • Two threads per core
  • Pure Power (automatically adjust energy usage)
  • Precision Boost (on-the-fly clock adjustments, works in tandem with Pure Power)
  • Extended Frequenzy Range (the CPU can adjust its own clock speed based on your cooling ???)
  • Neural Net Prediction (Basically a way to predict software tasks and execute those tasks efficiently/fast as possible)
  • Smart Prefetch (Application data is cached so it can be accessed instantly. Can also anticipate future data access by an app)

Webpage if you want more

What do you think? Team Red for your new CPU? I think it is great, the CPU market have been stale in the last years...
LEGACY

Art Blade

I abandoned AMD long ago and have ever since been a happy intel/nVidia combo player.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

I went Intel for CPU/AMD for GPU. Very happy with that combo :) The Radeon Rx 200 series have aged well compared to NV's older GPUs.
LEGACY

PZ

I'm still set for a while with the PC that I put together a couple of years ago on GKID's advice.  Once I can't play games any longer, I'll be hitting you up again for more advice, GKID  :-()

OWGKID

I believe my rig will hold on for more years. Just need a new GPU. Thanks PZ :-()
LEGACY

OWGKID

What? AMD are really going to eat from Intel's marketing share with those prices :o Markup from additional retailers isn't accounted for (most likely 30% extra), but 8 cores for 500$ sounds much more reasonable compared to the competition (1040$ for equal CPU).

6c/12t CPU is also rumoured along with a 4c/8t.
LEGACY

🡱 🡳