Biker DLC - Bug report (filed to Rockstar support)

Started by Art Blade, October 08, 2016, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

For 3 days in a row now I don't have any suffering from FPS drops. It happened once before, for just 2 days. Next update, which was another car released, gave me back the problem. So I'm not yet closing my ticket, it might fall back into those horrible drops again. Anyway, heavily enjoying the good steady framerates for the time being ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

nice, fingers crossed :)

can you confirm the night vision issue, too? Nomad and I do have them
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

In other words, you are doing R* QA testing for them :-D
LEGACY

Art Blade

that's right -- someone needs to get the job done :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

LEGACY

Binnatics

I have to apologize to Rockstar Support. All the time I've been blaming them for my FPS issues while it wasn't them failing me, it was my own CPU cooler :D :D :D

I hadn't had any FPS drops for a week, until last Saturday night. Suddenly it started again. I was super disappointed; I just told R* that my issues were gone and there they were again. But the next day I realised that my system was extremely quiet all of a sudden, while I had also noticed the past couple of days that my CPU cooler fan was running at max speed for some unknown reason. I linked the silence with the sudden FPS trouble coming back. In fact, I realised that the noise I had heard the past week was maybe the reason why my system wasn't stuttering while running GTA.
I dug into my system maintenance tools and found out what I was already expecting; my CPU cooler fan was running at a modest 0 rpm :-[

I realised that this was probably the reason for the FPS issues while playing GTA. Control center showed that while on load playing GTA my CPU went up to 94℃ (!)

I think I remember GKID telling me to do thoroughly hardware testing, which I then found unnecessary; the problem only occurred while playing GTA and only and exactly since the Bikers DLC came out. I wish I had listened better :-[

I learned a couple of things today:

• Always do a complete hardware behaviour test when the system starts stuttering and malfunctioning :angel:
  • Always test more than just one demanding game when stuttering occurs :angel:
  • My CPU cooler (Scythe Mugen III) is a pretty damn good cooler. With a non-functioning fan it still managed to keep my CPU close to acceptable temps even when playing GTA on heavy load :-X :)
  • I should listen to GKID when it comes to pc problems :-D

So after all the only thing I can blame Rockstar for is releasing the Bikers DLC at the exact same day as my cooler fan decided to go belly-up :-D

Today I went to my local hardware dealer and asked them to test and examine my rig, see if indeed the fan had broken. I was a bit afraid it would be my mobo not managing the fan properly but tests cleared that it was definitely the fan that needed replacement.
They did the replacement for me and I only had to pay €12,- for the fan + €17,50 for the replacement job.
I tested the system in my control center and it's working perfectly now. Let's see if indeed my fps issues are over for good 8-X

Art Blade

you were lucky that your CPU didn't go up in smoke :-X

OWGKID

Nice that you got it sorted. I would also recommend to use MSI Afterburner when stuff like this happens. Very nice to have if you experience issues with your system or of you just want to be nerdy  :angel:

Well, I am not going to call myself a complete expert when it comes to hardware, but at least I have some knowledge :) CPUs can handle high temps for short peroids, but extended usage might cause them to get worn out faster. Or in worst case, get completely burned out. Modern CPUs comes with temperature safeties which will throttle them down to prevent overheating or shut down the system to prevent permanent damage.

GTA is pretty CPU heavy and therefore, the rendering process gets slowed when the CPU can't keep up. Maybe send R* a message that some faulty hardware was messing you up ;)
LEGACY

Binnatics

I was thinking of doing that GKID, but they already closed my ticket since a day or two earlier I said my trouble were gone. Better leave them alone, they have enough on their mind probably and don't seem to really care what solution there was for me.

But indeed, a good look at the hardware status is definitely something to keep in mind ;)

OWGKID

Ah, then it should not be a problem. Did you tried to disable the DVR program I mentioned earlier or haven't you bothered to do so? Disabling it will give you a fps boost.
LEGACY

Binnatics

I tried to find a program like that, but it wasn't there, so I didn't bother

OWGKID

It resides within the Xbox App, but you can disable it by editing the registry on your PC.  I would recommend get yourself a Xbox Live account and change settings there rather than fiddling with the OS

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600
LEGACY

Art Blade

Just by the way, on topic

Yesterday I noticed that Rockstar had closed my ticket. No comments, no email, just closed. Three months after I started it, and one month after my last addendum.

Then again, I don't care anymore.

OWGKID

Seems like R* have given GTA V its middle finger now  8-X They have patched the Kuruma trick in Pacific Standard according to Binn. Also, the netcode is now a complete mess. Friends and other players randomly connect/disconnects frequently in public sessions. Never happens in private sessions.

I guess they are busy getting RDR2 out of the door later this year  ;)
LEGACY

Binnatics

Probably. But we already found a solution for the Kuruma glitch. By the way; I think it was not R*'s intention to disable the Kuruma glitch. They have probably disabled access to garages because of other reasons. My guess is that ppl found exploits to get expensive cars out of missions and use their garage access to keep and sell them. Not sure where or how, but I doubt they all of a sudden disable a glitch that has been available for almost 2 years now.
There's another glitch / exploit ppl use to play finales unlimited times after each other without doing setup missions. That is way more costly to R*'s sharkcard business than the Kuruma glitch, that only provides a secure way of transporting the 'take' to the mission end. People using that finale glitch can make money with the Pacific Standard Heist 5 to 6 times faster than normal Heist players. They didn't do anything about that 'glitch'. So no, I don't think they did this intentionally.

The disconnections you describe, Gkid, have been there for a very long time already. It started happening shortly before the CEO stuff got launched. Somewhere early 2016. Before that, it had never happened to me. I think it started when they released the Banshee 900R and the Sultan RS at Bennies. Recently it seemed to be getting worse, but that might also be a coincidence.

I think the reason for all the bugs is the extensive changes R* made to GTA Online. Almost every major DLC came with new types of gameplay, influencing the entire game. Some of them were quite revolutionary, like the Online Events DLC and the introduction of the VIP and CEO stuff. I have seen glitches and bugs come and go when you look at heists. I think that, apart from a lucrative business and a popular MP environment, GTA Online is  a perfect way of experimenting with new features. And that's what they're doing.  :)

OWGKID

I haven't tracked R* patch notes for awhile. True, every new addition to GTA O means new code and functionalities, which might conflict with eachother.
LEGACY

🡱 🡳