Rant, anyone? :)

Started by Art Blade, September 20, 2016, 03:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

They're going to have to w@&k very hard to win back customers, and their prolonged silence hasn't helped their case. But the fact that Sean Murray was receiving death threats merely because the initial release date was pushed back a month shows that there are some pretty unreasonable, or downright unstable, personalities out there. Reactions like that have to be demoralizing after you've devoted several years of your life to a project. There was no doubt that Murray was sincere in his enthusiasm before the rot began, and if you're going to plot some way to rip off a lot of people, there are far quicker and less expensive ways of doing so. Murray may have shot his mouth off and gotten carried away with the hype, but I certainly don't see him as a "criminal" as some have charged. That's just stupid and insulting.

I still believe the vultures at Sony should receive the lion's share of the blame. They not only helped to derail the game but also took over the promotion of it, and most of the inflated hype came from them. Then they had the audacity to claim that they weren't responsible for the exaggerated promotion, which was an outright lie. Unfortunately Murray allowed himself to become the face of No Man's Sky and thus became the prime target of peoples' ire. Yes, his mouth got him in trouble and he should have been more careful with his statements, and while some of the blame rests with him it is certainly not his alone. I have no animosity towards the man - well, maybe a tiny bit - and in fact I feel a little sorry for him.

I think what irked a lot of players was the fact that they were charged the price of a AAA game and thus expected a AAA experience, which is reasonable enough. Had it been released as a $20 indie title, or promoted as being in ongoing development, it might not have ticked so many people off and it might even have garnered a devoted and supportive fan base, a la Star Citizen. Now there's an interesting contradiction - in the case of Star Citizen, people are spending real money (in a couple of cases thousands of dollars) to buy ships and gear to use in a space game which doesn't even exist yet, with no guarantee that it ever will. Nobody seems to be complaining about that. At least Hello delivered a game that you can play now.

I'll be interested to see what Hello can do. Hopefully they'll give at least some consideration to improving optimization. Adding new features and introducing new player abilities isn't going to mean a lot if the game still runs like a slug on PC.  If it was me, that would be the first thing I would tackle before I started adding more bells and whistles. I know that's easy for me to say, but I'm not the one charging a triple-A price for an under-developed game.

NMS does have potential, and if that potential can be realized (and if they can do something about the atrocious frame rate and draw distance) they might just lure me back. I'm wiling to give Hello a second chance, but it's gonna take some solid persuasion - and much incontrovertible proof.

OWGKID

True, but the problem with the "Survival" genre is it is not fleshed out/developed like the other genres on the games market (FPS, RTS and racing). I watched TB's 40 minute rant about the hype around No Man's Sky where he said that, there's so many unfinished survival games due to the difficulty in mastering this genre. No games haven't done that yet completely. Minecraft kicked this train and the survival component there became extremly popular. I believe the games in the survival genre builds upon MC's mechanics and put their own flavour into it. Not every game use certain aspects of survival, like combat/crafting etc.

Currently playing ARK: Survival Evovled and the game is still inearly access. The devs even released a 20$ DLC, which upset many fans. I bought it, because I enjoyed the game and my friends have a Scorched Earth server. If it wasn't for the friends that played the game, I wouldn't bothered with DLC ;) The devs are more busy with adding stuff like procedural maps/dinos rather than fixing basic issues with the systems around. Also, the game still doesn't look graphically impressive. Heck, there are mods out there that improves stacking and building by a mile... Nice that you need modders to build your game 8-X On the other side, mod support is a huge yes in PC gaming  :-D It wouldn't surprise me if this game will not get finished, but I have found enjoyment in this title at least  ^-^

I think it's Sean Murray's fault alone for being vague. I'm not sure what Sony actually did and I find it hard to blame them completely for the marketing/statements from Murray before they took over. Wouldn't surprise me if they used NMS' marketing assets in their own. Still doesn't change the fact Sony did the marketing for NMS on PS4. Star Citizen is developed by a huge team internationally and Chris Robert have developed lots of games. Compare that to the team at Hello Games. I also believe Cloud Imperium have a framework on how they envision their game and therefore can develop it without problems.

In TB's words, this project was done by developers who enthusiastically wanted to create a space game, but they either lost their way on that task (designing the game/elements) or took on more than they could chew. I would definitely say it sucks when things turn up like this for the devs and the players. Irrational thinking is commonplace, there are people who enjoy hating/liking this game and they seem to personally identify themselves with the hate/love relationship with NMS. Which means they will do whatever it takes to defend instead of accepting honest critism. Yes, every game have their own flaws and I accept that, but you cannot go full retard and pull moves like death threats and callouts when someone points out flaws.

Honestly, I think Murray did a poor job on the PR part, but hey, that something everyone can do. We all do mistakes now and then right? I never showed any interest in NMS, but I hope Hello Games can restore their reputation as a developer and get NMS in the direction they wanted it. I also hope everybody learned that we need to be critical when it comes to games being hyped by the media.

At least they didn't pulled out and abandoned their game  :)

LEGACY

Binnatics

A big fat thumps up for that statement GKID! +1 :-X  :)

I agree with you, Murray didn't do a good job on the PR part. The guy lacks integrity. You can blame it on the big money pointing to Sony, and sure they have a share in the process, but Murray wasn't true to people. He was a weak lying soab.

I think the great part of NMS was just a concept. And I agree, most early access survival game developers are just focussing at silly little things you can add to the game. At least that's what I found in DayZ. They keep introducing new ways of crafting, new items you can find, but the real deal stays imaginary. No true changes to a weak engine and server technology are being made and the game stays in Alpha forever. I recently took a glance at what they're up to now; still the issue of servers without stable items, just a bunch of new crap you can go and search for. This type of game is nice for a team of nerds going bonkers with a çrowd-funding-like bunch of money. It's no fun for the audience  :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Anything they add would be a bonus. Even with it's faults, it was still a fun game. I got my money's worth out of it, less than a $1 an hour for something that was pretty enjoyable for the most part. Can't say that about a lot of things lately, like movies for instance. So, if it becomes a game that I can play again, then I will, but right now, it's at the point of there's nothing left to do really.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

OWGKID

Thanks, Binnatics. Yeah, he could have done that  8-X I agree, early access games are a risk. Again, the majority of them are survival games still unfinished. Nice to see you found some entertainment in NMS, DB :)

LEGACY

Art Blade

the moment I see a download starting on steam, I'll be excited. I'd start up the game right after the update.

But as it is now, and until then, I'm done with it.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

🡱 🡳