Boosting in atmosphere?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, August 22, 2016, 09:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Check out this video:

How?

I've set it to the right time, after he takes off, he's in atmosphere, at 397u altitude and doing 146u speed, and it looks like the in space speed effect you get from the pulse engine, so how is he doing it near a planet? Whenever I try it, I get the warning that there's a planet too close. Most speed I can get near a planet is maybe 110u and it will slowly decrease to 85-90 unless I hold on to the move forward button.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Dang. This forum software embeds the link to YT alright but not the time stamp and when I tried the link location, it didn't w@&k either because "513" isn't exactly a mm:ss format. 5:13 wasn't a flying scene and 513s=8:33 didn't show exactly anything spectacular. So I had to watch the entire 23:48 minutes-clip only to say that.. there was nothing I could see that I think you wanted to show us. ????

However, I think that you want to know some basics and I think what you are looking for is using the booster in high to medium atmosphere.

Basics of speed in space ships:

"gas" (use throttle) = normal speeds from around 40u to around 150u

booster (press booster button) = not very useful when flying low but if you want to leave the planet, it will give you the juice needed to do so. If you don't leave the planet but get close to the outer atmosphere, you will be able to fly at comparatively insane speeds like 1,500u. Dive down to slow down and release the booster button.

pulse drive (press 2 buttons at the same time) = go really fast between stars or after leaving a planet, pulse drive towards a space station or a different planet. Is so fast that you won't even hit asteroids you're flying through.

warp drive (use galaxy map) = "fly" or, more likely, warp jump to a different system.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Sometimes I get a message prompting me to boost when I'm in the atmosphere, but if I try I get that "planetary Interference" message and I can't ????

Art Blade

I'm not sure but I think that's the pulse, not the boost which doesn't w@&k in the proximity of a planet
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Oh... I didn't know there was a pulse AND a boost. I'll have to try that when I next get into space.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I figured it out, the boost is a different thing than than the pulse. BTW, it was at about 8:30 in that video, when i click on the play button, it starts at the right section?
D_B

Art Blade

here it doesn't but now I checked again and I am pretty sure he came from very high altitude where you can speed up a lot. You can see how close to the clouds he is. What makes it next to impossible to understand how he did it if you didn't know about how it worked is the fact that he kept editing out lots of parts of the vid so the sequence that would have given it away is missing.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, he removes a lot of the intervening stuff to keep the videos a little more interesting to watch. But now knowing how to use boost, I can get up to that speed, maybe even higher, very low to the ground, even at the ground avoidance altitude, which will be removed tonight when I install that free flight mod. There was a reddit post on how different ships perform differently, speed, maneuverability, etc. I'll post a link in the tips page.
D_B

fragger

D_B, I'll be really interested to hear how you go with that free-flight mod. I hate the terrain avoidance. If I want to risk slamming into a pillar of rock at max velocity, then that should be my call :-()

It might make it a lot easier to get that landing pad lock-on function happening too. More often than not I can't get the nose down steeply enough, or in time, to get the lock-on reticle to appear on the pad. Crazy really... Whoever made these ships can get them to travel through hyperspace, but you have to use guesswork to land on a pad ????

Dweller_Benthos

I like the low flight mod, but for sure, you can easily crash into things. Essentially, I was flying sloppy knowing that I couldn't crash, now I have to pay attention. I also hit 3 for 3 on the landing pads last night, and I never hit one before. I've also landed too close to things, and damaged my ship taking off, so that's something to be aware of.

It's my opinion that the ground avoidance thing was added to appease Sony, as they found during testing that people crashed quite a bit. I have nothing to back that up, just  my hunch, and Sony didn't want a lot of people complaining that they were crashing all the time. I really can't think of any other reason that feature would have been added, it's pretty stupid if you ask me, to make a space flight sim where you can't get closer than 100m to the ground.

What's needed now is a "Fly slower than 35u" mod, as you can't slow down enough sometimes to perform the right maneuver.
D_B

fragger

I'm willing to bet you're right about Sony :-D

Do you know if the mod replaces any files that maybe should be backed up in case I install the mod, then decide I don't want it? I can't imagine I wouldn't want it, it's one of the things I've been really hoping someone would do.

Dweller_Benthos

No, it doesn't replace any of the files, it's just a small file you drop in your game's data folder (forget the exact name right now, the mod will have install instructions) if you don't like it, just delete that file and it will go back to normal. Same applies to all the other mods I've installed, just a small file you copy over. I stay away from mods that require the game files to be unpacked, that's a hassle, but none of the ones I've really wanted needed that.
D_B

fragger

Okay, thanks :) I'm getting it then.

Dweller_Benthos

Be careful, it's really easy to crash because the controls are so mushy.
D_B

fragger

Thanks :) I downloaded the mod, still tossing up on whether I want to try it or not. I read in the notes on the download page that it alters some file or command (I can't see the mentioned item in any of the NMS directories, I think might be inside one of those .pak files) and I'm reluctant to install in case I can't get back to normal should I want to.

The download page note says:

"This mod modifies GCSPACESHIPGLOBALS.GLOBAL.MBIN so it is incompatible with any mods that do so as well".

I don't know what that means so I'm a bit skittish about it.

Art Blade

I can fly so fast that I don't need it.

Just climb, altitude = higher speeds, then descend. You'll still have a lot of speed when going down.

Basically, keep changing from low to high and vice versa until you spot something. Then brake hard, pointing your nose down at the same time. Allows for a perfect landing most of the time.

Binnatics

So there's not exactly 'joyful flying' around beautiful sceneries, cliffs, forests, rivers and such? It sounds as if the space ship is more some sort of moving tool than an aircraft :-\\
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

they're flying bricks with mushy controls, mimicking spaceships of a blind alien's design. :-D

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

Fragger, there's no need to worry about that statement, that's just saying that any other mod that also changes that command will have conflict issues with the low flight mod. I'm pretty sure if you have the mod in and don't like it, then just delete the mod file, everything will go back to normal as if nothing has changed.
D_B

fragger

🡱 🡳