Patch 1.04 out now

Started by fragger, August 19, 2016, 07:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

listening to and watching Sean in the context of "No Man's Lie," his smile doesn't look nice to me anymore. At all. It looks wrong now.

And the vid (apparently it is some type of resurrection of a reddit post, by uploading the vid, of someone whose account got banned.. pressure from Sony/HG?) comes up with major points about what was promoted yet never made it into the release and even shows the corresponding promotional/pre-release vid snippets as proof.. seeing what was promoted and then never made it, makes me feel bad because now I feel cheated. Well, more angry and sad because it shows so clearly what they made us believe, what caused the hype.

Indeed, IGN did promote it pretty intensively -- but I think they hadn't got anything to do with what now looks like a scheme, retrospectively. If it was a scam, they were abused. I believe that they didn't need to get paid by Sony for something like that -- they're already big enough. As you basically already realised just by thinking that Sony might have wanted to use their reputation. Which I'm sure they can't afford to lose nor that they'd risk losing it.

We don't know, however, WHY stuff which could be seen in the vids (meaning, it did exist at some point) didn't make it into the release. And we don't know WHY stuff Sean was kind of hard-pressed to reveal during interviews, didn't make it.

If creating the game (as promoted) really was Sean's dream, and I don't have reason to doubt that, then something must have happened behind the scenes.

Isn't it strange that Sony suddenly pops up in an INDIE GAME?

The only reason I can imagine is that HG/Sean ran out of money and that Sony somehow smelled a rat and secured a title that, as Sony recently made public, has turned into a massive success for their PS4.

I can imagine Sean had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so he can't tell us what happened. Which is perhaps why it looks so strange now and why he hasn't been showing up or posting anything anywhere for weeks.

Which makes the vid look bad. Blaming Sean while Sony is raking in money.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I've fired up the game after the last patch and I'm seeing the same as you guys. It looks to me like they have tried to improve the frame rate by shortening the draw distance, and it didn't w@&k anyway. Er, no, Hello, that's not the way to fix things. That's like trying to make your car go faster by removing all the bodywork. So let the record show that my experience with NMS is, as of now, definitely at an end.

@Binn, you're not wrong, there are a ton of NMS hate videos on Youtube. This game will probably go down in gaming history as one of the most hated titles ever, and its devs are making it worse with their relative silence and their half-arsed patches. The very worst thing they could be doing to salvage this train wreck is precisely what they are doing - keeping quiet, not talking to people about it, offering no apologies, and releasing patches that don't appear to do much of anything (or even make things worse).

@Art, those have been pretty much my thoughts too. I've speculated on whether the money was getting tight at Hello after several years of development, then Sony has come along and expressed an interest in backing the game. The Hello guys have caved in both to the allure of the funding and the relief from the daunting prospect of having to spend yet more years of development, and so have accepted Sony's offer - on the proviso that they switch from developing it as a PC game (which I seem to remember reading that it was going to be) to making it a PS4-exclusive title. Then shortly thereafter, Hello have haggled with Sony into letting them port a PC-version as well, which would still be in Sony's interest as they'd still get a cut from the PC-version sales. And so the game had to be dumbed-down to make it console friendly, and then re-ported back to PC with the attendant loss of functionality and gameplay features.

Possibly the worst thing to happen to the game was for the Hello greenhorns to get into bed with the slick Sony gold-diggers and I'm willing to bet that the Hello guys are now bitterly regretting that tryst. Hello may have made money in the short term, but I believe they have paid a heavy price in terms of buyer confidence. In fact I can't see Hello coming back from this debacle in any kind of good standing with the gaming community and I wouldn't be surprised if they just quietly disappeared from the scene after a while. They now have a long way to go to restore any kind of consumer trust and their name will be forever associated with this game and its stigma.

I was so keen for this game that I broke my own rule about pre-ordering, and now I definitely know I won't ever be doing it again. I won't normally pre-order a game as I see it as a fraught practice that leaves people vulnerable to the sort of shenanigans that have been perpetrated in the case of NMS. Buying anything sight-unseen and unproven is just asking for trouble, be it a car, a home, or a humble video game. I believe that if enough people stop pre-ordering games, wait for release and maybe check out some professional reviews before deciding to buy, the devs will soon be forced to clean up their acts and abandon their "release now, patch later" methodology, which they appear to be increasingly relying upon to get their games out the door. If devs are getting slack, sad to say it's largely the rash and compulsive element within the gaming community that is providing them with the means to do. As with anything saleable, consumers have the power to slap the shonks back into line with their firmly-sealed wallets if they could just get together as a cohesive body and act.

I reckon it's time for us all to let the devs know that we won't take their crap anymore, and a good way to start is by refusing to pre-order their half-finished, bug-ridden titles.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Binnatics on September 19, 2016, 11:37:00 AM
I fired up the game yesterday because I felt like it, and while waiting for it to load the space travel animation with all the starts floating by was so incredibly stuttering that I decided to alt+tab out and quit before it even started. I didn't have the patience :angel:

The stuttering and pausing you see when you start the game after a patch is the game creating new cache files. Not sure what these are, but there's a whole folder for them in your install folder. Something to do with graphics loading, probably. So, the initial load after a patch (or if you delete the folder to refresh it or install a mod) will take a little longer than normal. Loads after that should be better.

As far as how people were lied to? Yes, I think so, or Sean started digging a hole he couldn't get out of. Or, when Sony got involved, they found the game would never run decently or at all on a PS4 and Sony told them to make it w@&k and they had to drop a lot of things to do so. Or, Sony said, release summer 2016, and a lot of stuff just wasn't working right yet and they had to release it unfinished.

I think it mostly boils down to Sony messing things up. I have no proof on this, just my gut feeling. But if they had released as a $20 early access game like Subnautica, and slowly added features, the story would have been much different. Can they ever come back from this? I hope so, there's a lot of potential in the game, it just needs to be realized. Will I ever pre-order again? Probably not. At most, MAYBE the next Fallout. Maybe.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

I think you are right D_B, it should've been an early access. Would've given them the time and freedom to slowly develop the game, with the right fanbase testing it for them. I'm not so into early access games anymore, but that would've been definitely better than now.

I never watched much of the hype-creating vids that IGN kept releasing. In fact, I only took a minor glimpse of what was going on here on the forum about it. And my imagination filled it up into some crazy adventurous game with unlimited possibilities. When I was playing DayZ, the fact that every month or two a new release with small bits and pieces of new content kept me curious and longing for more. My desire for new cool stuff was never fulfilled but always triggered. And bugs, issues and graphics problems were acceptable.

What happened when NMS was released was that I kept fantasizing about the possibilities. It was so cool to follow your progress through trial and error and keep imagining what could be... When I started playing myself I was way to busy to catch up with you first, which was cool, but soon I started realising that whatever would come next, was very limited. After maxing out my gear and being disappointed by whatever there was as a storyline, I felt tricked by an algorithm for creating planets, planes and creatures.

Anyway, that algorithm is in fact their biggest invention. The problem with how it was released, is that it wasn't used to make something creative with it. They just gave us their trick, like giving a kaleidoscope to a kid. A rather cool kaleidoscope in fact, that's something I have to admit 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

ok.. I'll post in a rant topic now, here on this board..
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

🡱 🡳