How to muck about with Far Cry 4 textures a bit

Started by JRavens, August 28, 2015, 06:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Knightmare

I just picked up FC4 recently and tried to download those Janne252 project and archetype files so I could mod the game.  Unfortunately, it seems the the download links on that site (http://fc4modding.janne252.com/index.php?area=misc) are broken.

Could anyone who has these files please mirror them?  Thanks.

OWGKID

Here's the archetypes to mod FC4

Spoiler: ShowHide
(Please note, files are in Binhex format so things are quite a pain in the a$$ to mod... :D)
LEGACY

Knightmare

Thanks for the archetypes GKID, but I still need the project definition files for Gibbed's Dunia tools to extract from the .fat/.dat files.

Knightmare

What I really meant to say is that all I get when I unpack patch_hd.dat/fat is a bunch of hex filenames under a folder named __UNKNOWN.  A filelist is needed to get the correct names, which is part of a set of project files for gibbed's Dunia tools.  Such as the set of project files (gibbed_fc4project.zip) that were hosted on that Janne252 site until their download links broke.  So if you have that, I need it as well.

OWGKID

I know what you mean ;) Will see if I find them on my desktop  :)
LEGACY

Knightmare

If you can't find the .zip, you can just zip up the contents of your Dunia2 tools\bin\projects folder.

OWGKID

LEGACY

Knightmare

Thanks, GKID.  I've already gotten patch_hd unpacked now.  I'll see what I can do with the archetypes now.

PZ

Knightmare

One of the things I wanted to change (wallet and loot bag sizes) wasn't in those archetype files, but was in another binary .fcb file whose name still isn't in the project filelist (so it extracts as a hex filename).  I found thread on modding the right file here: http://farcrymods.freeforums.net/thread/3/increase-size-crafted-wallets-loot?page=1
The fifth post contains a list of all the hashes and values to search for so you can edit the gear items.

This file, __UNKNOWN\game\CEF2050C2780F74C.fcb, extracts from common.fat/.dat and conveting it to .fcb yields a very large .xml file full of raw binhex data.  From converting the hex strings in a hex editor, I found that it has most of the same sections that were in FC3's nomadobjectstemplates, such as BonusService (where the gear capacity upgrades are) and PlayerParamsService (area out of bounds/gating control is in this).  Perhaps a binary file definition could be constructed for the FC4 Gibbed Tools project so it can be read in plaintext- most of the binary classes it uses are already in the project definitions.

The other file mentioned in that thread that contains the item sizes for the crafting menu, __UNKNOWN\misc\4EF705FE5CDB8750.fcb, I can't get to extract from common.fat/.dat.  I just get a 4EF705FE5CDB8750.maybe.rml which can't be converted to XML.

I also had difficulty finding the upgraded magazine capacities in those archetype files, as they were still in hex.  Search for the hex string "6D61677570677261646500" which converts to "magupgrade" and it will take you right to the entry for the magazine upgrade attachment.  The upgraded capacity is in hex integer format in the field with the hash "C9EE359F".

EDIT: It turns out I just had to run the ConvertXML utility on the file 4EF705FE5CDB8750.maybe.rml to convert from RML to XML, and then back again once I'd made my changes.

Knightmare

OK, I got the new capacities of the wallet, lootbag and bait bag to show up in the crafting menu.

One thing I found is don't bother editing the archetypes for the NPC or E3 demo variants of the weapons.  These modified archetypes caused a crash on loading a save when combined with other files (CDCB723F8C565609.xml- the shop items file and 8B1CD7C7A93F1F18.xml, some sort of unlocks and attachments list) from the attachments mod.

Also, don't increase the capacity of a pistol beyond 40 rounds, as it'll screw up the HUD ammo display.  I know it's tempting to give the Rebel a 100-round drum, but it won't w@&k right.

I'm going to try starting a new game with the upgraded gear.  This time will certainly be more fun and less bothersome with a loot bag that doubles and wallet that quadruples in size with every upgrade.

PZ

Sounds interesting, Knightmare!  Looking forward to your results  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Knightmare

The results have been great so far.  The game is a lot less bothersome with the larger wallets and loot bags.  And I quadrupled the amount of karma needed for each level (in CEF2050C2780F74C.fcb), as I was ranking that up too fast just from free-roaming.

I managed to conquer Varshakot undetected on my first try.  I snuck onto the wall from the overlooking hill to the east, taking out the first sniper and throwing his body over the wall.  Then I hid behind the little bell copula and lured the guards one by one (including the heavy gunners) onto the roof of that warehouse-like building, right beside the hole in the roof.  Each one fell into the hole after a headshot, so the bodies were never seen.  I then lured the dog with meat and dispatched him with an arrow.  Finally, I used the mortar to take out the second sniper.

The roof hole
[smg id=8694 type=preview align=center caption="Exploitable roof hole in Varshakot"]

Dead guards in roof hole
[smg id=8695 type=preview align=center caption="Varshakot roof hole with bodies"]

PZ

Nice w@&k!

I still have too many games on my list that I want to eventually play, and still not enough time.  However, I really enjoy reading of you chaps exploits, especially the varied ways of attack.  :-X

OWGKID

:-D :-X Wish the tool had the capability to mod FC4 properly  8-X
LEGACY

OWGKID

Regarding textures, I assume Ubi updated the Dunia engine with a PBR renderer. The textures looks very realistic and better than the FC3 ones.
LEGACY

🡱 🡳