Animated Short Films (on youtube or wherever)

Started by Art Blade, May 29, 2010, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

A huge +1 Art.  :-X

That was superlative.  I enjoyed it a great deal.

The content and vast concept of this video waive away any objections I may have had regarding the absence of actual science behind the formation of our universe.

I found the descriptive auras and construction scaffolding for each of the bodies being shaped and created fascinating.  On my second viewing I often had to stop and almost frame by frame observe the dynamic movement of the aural plotting as information was being displayed.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Not to mention the hilarity of the flatulent noises made by the deflating asteroid when the Father was scolding the one older son for adding dark matter to its composition to speed up the job and skimp on materials.  I almost lost it when the father commented "You didn't come from my floogles."  :laugh:

Delightful.  Simply delightful.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Wonderful :-X Very nice find Art :)

I'm reminded of a non-fiction book by Issac Asimov called "The Tragedy Of The Moon". He went on about how the moon's tidal influence on Earth very likely gave rise to life on the land since the tides may have washed small forms of marine life onto the shores, and they had to adapt to survive until the tide came back in to rescue them. Over time, they adapted so well that they no longer needed to return to the sea - they had become completely adapted to living on land.

The "tragedy" part of the title refers to Asimov's speculation that had our moon been in orbit around Mars or Venus instead of Earth (and we had still somehow managed to evolve), there would have been indisputable visual proof that at least one astronomical body orbits another. This may have allowed humanity to bypass all those centuries of deluded notions of everything revolving around the Earth and thus placing the planet at the centre of all Creation, along with all the strife this misguided reasoning has caused:

Everything appears to be revolving around the Earth;
So Earth must be at the centre of all creation;
Therefore it occupies a privileged position in the grand scheme of things;
Humans are clearly the predominant form of life on Earth;
Therefore God must have created Earth solely for the benefit of humans;
Since God made Earth for humans, it belongs to humans, and thus it's theirs to do what they like with and they have every right to divide it up, fight over it, and persecute over it.

This geocentric attitude persists, either consciously or subconsciously. Some people and their belief systems still cling stubbornly to it. It's inherent in common figures of speech such as "down to earth" (which implies that the only tangible reality is "down here") and "outer space" (it's all "out there", and we are somehow insulated from it).

Maybe, just maybe, had the moon orbited another planet which we could clearly see, humanity may have developed with a less geocentric and more realistic view of the nature of the Universe and our place in it, being aware that we are not at the centre of anything at all. Maybe we would have evolved with a healthier and less arrogant attitude toward our existence, and refrained from the belief that this planet belongs to us.

Or not... ::)

Art Blade

thank you, guys. :)

"Hm? Wait an eon.."  :-()
"The boy is 14 billion! When will he ever grow up?"  :laugh:

Art Blade

Mandru (and anyone else), about your spoiler,

Although I noticed that guy said "floogles," it is a word unknown to me and it is virtually impossible to find a useful meaning for floogle on the net. What can you tell me about it? :)

mandru

Floogles?  How to put this delicately.

While the word floogles might be completely alien (extra dimensional in this case) the structure of the rest of the phrase that contained it is common in the languages of mankind and completely recognizable.  Determining the meaning of the word floogles is a matter of context.

The dad was bluntly saying that the person being scolded (the short cutting son) came from a set of testicles (or the xenobiological equivalent of an organ that serves a parallel function in that species) other than his own.  :laugh:

- mandru

Art Blade

fragger

For mandru :)

(I couldn't find the one he alluded to in the Jokes topic, but I liked this one, with the "Bilko" dwarf)

! No longer available

mandru

:laugh:

It took a huge set of "floogles" for those dwarves to pull off that scam.  ;)

- mandru

Art Blade

there's that word again.

Funny vid, fragger :)

fragger

There were a lot to choose from and I tried anything that looked like it might be the one that mandru was talking about, but it either wasn't there or I missed it. I liked this Snow White one for the Sgt. Bilko-like head dwarf, I thought that was a cack :-()

mandru

I've spent several hours over the last couple days tearing apart every video reference I can think of trying to find compilations of Fractured Fairy Tales. 

After rewatching enough of every one of the available episodes to eliminate them as the source of my reference I've come up empty handed for the name of the specific source of  "What? You picked her out of a bunch of good ones?"

There was one episode called The Magic Lychee Nut that I was not able to find a viewable copy of but the trend of naming for the Jay Ward Productions series of cartoons would suggest that this episode would have taken place in an Asian setting which is contrary to my memory of the toon I was searching for.

I know it was a cartoon out of the Jay Ward Production line up because no one else makes anything nearly that sketchy and yet loved for its quirky humor as well as being aimed heavily at entertaining the adults in the room while fooling the kids into think it's on the TV for them.

If I do find this episode I'll come back and drop a link but for now I'm at a dead end.  :knockout

- mandru

Art Blade

🡱 🡳