(Non-Animated) Short Films (youtube, vimeo..)

Started by JRD, June 01, 2010, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

On a related subject...

Not exactly an animation film, but I don't know where to put it, so I guess it'll fit in here

Achmed, the dead terrorist

Jeff Dunham - Achmed the Dead Terrorist

Silence... I kill you  ;D ;D ;D

I changed the subject from "on youtube" to "youtube, vimeo.." because there are other sources than just YT. /Art
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on June 01, 2010, 02:18:47 PM
On a related subject...

Not exactly an animation film, but I don't know where to put it, so I guess it'll fit in here

Achmed, the dead terrorist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

Silence... I kill you  ;D ;D ;D

Jeff Dunham that guy´s amazing. How he manages to do that stuff I´ll never know. Her´s a youngre version of him with peanut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDsjr7O6_T0

Art Blade

If it doesn't fit, create a topic (done, this is a split-off)   ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Although not YT, still a short film (on Vimeo) called

London Bus Tour

London Bus Tour
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

By the way, I want to explicitly thank mandru for having introduced vimeo to OWG, ever since I keep visiting that site. :)

fragger

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Interestingly, the English language is extremely diversified when it comes to describing "collections" of animals, be it birds or anything else. In German, particularly collections of birds are all called the same, a "Schwarm Vögel" and may be called a "Vogelschar" but that sounds queer and old-fashioned. In English on the other hand.. oh dear.. here, just about BIRDS  ??? :)

Quotecongregation of birds
dissimulation of birds
flight of birds
flock of birds
volery of birds
sedge of bitterns
siege of bitterns
chain of bobolinks
wake of buzzards
brood of chickens
flock of chickens
peep of chickens
brood of chicks
chattering of chicks
clutch of chicks
chattering of choughs
bury of conies
cover of coots
flight of cormorants
sedge of cranes
siege of cranes
murder of crows
storytelling of crows
herd of curlews
bevy of doves
cote of doves
dole of doves
dule of doves
flight of doves
piteousness of doves
brace of ducks
flock of ducks
flush of ducks
paddling of ducks
raft of ducks
team of ducks
aerie of eagles
convocation of eagles
mob of emus
charm of finches
flock of geese
gaggle of geese
wedge of geese (flying in a 'V')
skein of geese (in flight)
charm of goldfinches
skein of goslings
covey of grouse
pack of grouse
colony of gulls
aerie of hawks
cast of hawks
kettle of hawks
brood of hens
hedge of herons
sedge of herons
siege of herons
charm of hummingbirds
band of jays
party of jays
scold of jays
deceit of lapwings
ascension of larks
exaltation of larks
tidings of magpies
sord of mallards
watch of nightingales
parliament of owls
wisdom of owls
company of parrots
covey of partridges
muster of peacocks
ostentation of peacocks
colony of penguins
crèche of penguins
huddle of penguins
parcel of penguins
rookery of penguins
nest of pheasants
covey of pheasants (on the ground)
nide of pheasants (on the ground)
nye of pheasants (on the ground)
bouquet of pheasants (when flushed)
flight of pigeons
flock of pigeons
congregation of plovers
wing of plovers
covey of ptarmigans
bevy of quail
covey of quail
conspirancy of ravens
storytelling of ravens
unkindness of ravens
building of rooks
clamor of rooks
parliament of rooks
storytelling of rooks
walk of snipes
wisp of snipes
host of sparrows
murmuration of starlings
muster of storks
mustering of storks
flight of swallows
bevy of swans
herd of swans
lamentation of swans
wedge of swans (flying in a 'V')
flock of swifts
spring of teals
flock of turkeys
rafter of turkeys
brood of turkeys (immature)
dule of turtledoves
pitying of turtledoves
colony of vultures
plump of waterfowl
raft of wigeons
plump of wildfowl
fall of woodcocks
descent of woodpeckers

source: http://palomaraudubon.org/collective.html

fragger

Bloody hell :o Where do some of these words come from? A "murder of crows" and a "storytelling of ravens" is weird enough, but what in the world is a "volery", a "sedge", a "dule", a "sord" and a "nye"?

What a trove of oddities ????

Art Blade

mandru

Cool list Art.  It's a little disturbing how many of those I'm familiar with and might actually use conversationally if the right topic were to come up.   ???  Fortunately the fourth entry a "flock of birds" really does cover the entire list when referring to birds in flight for anyone that doesn't want to bother with keeping track of the rest of all that.   :laugh:

I've frequently engaged in conversations with friends over the years about the question of where do new words, phrases and descriptive terms originate.  As near as I can make out when  a person encounters something new whether its an actual physical thing, a useful additional step guaranteeing better results in a long accepted manufacturing process or a "thought tool" that enables others to look at the world around them through a new lens of understanding typically the discoverer in describing their findings will name that new thing setting in place a new word or phrase.

There are times that the community that receives that new concept and will be working with it chucks the discoverer's naming out the window and renames it.  Think about it.  What if Georg Ohm's last name had been Limpweiner or Fugett?  There's no way the scientific community would have turned "Limpweiner's law" loose in the classrooms of 14 to 15 year old school boys.   :-D

A lot of the namings for groups of birds among that list you provided Art are the type of results that occur when poets start naming things and if you step into an interior decorator's parlor you can bet that they could provide a list twice that long of the various shades of green that they would just die for the chance to redecorate your home with.   8-X

:lamp:  So I suggest that we take the initiative to coin names for groups of people that insist on naming/renaming things.

*A nattering (or a nagging) of Nomenclaturists.
*A twist of Taxonifiers.

(and let's not forget)
*A bowel full of International Astronomical Union Members (A trans-Neptunian dwarf planet?  What a swarm of Rectoids!  Give us back our ninth planet dammit  \:/   )
- mandru

Art Blade

:laugh:

Just today I showed that list to two very nice native Australian ladies (one of which a teacher of the English language) who were amazed at how many different expressions there were and generally as well as gently speaking, they were not familiar with all of the terms provided in that list.  :-D

Art Blade

I keep staying in touch with Australia for some reason, and most often with Sydney, for some reason.

Again. This bloke who made the film is from there, too.   :-()

Moving Day

fragger

That's quite funny :-D :-X An original idea, beautifully filmed.

Art Blade

PZ

Fiach

That bird video was shot about 50 miles from me, its really cool :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

" class="fancybox" title="" data-fancybox="topic">" alt="" />

Art Blade

appears to be a nice spot you live in, then :)

nexor

Guys I didn't know where to post this, this is a must see, and don't forget the speakers......

Art Blade

nexor

So how do you watch youtube video clips Art?

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru

🡱 🡳