Modding GTA IV

Started by Art Blade, November 12, 2011, 04:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Coming back to modding I have to describe the experience with the mod Art made adjusting the car-handling (the handling.dat file). First I was not quite interested in modding but I gave it a chance and the simultaneous changes to both Sultans, Cabs and police cars is a brilliant find, and customized into perfection!!!! :-X

We've had loads of fun already running around in brilliantly drifting sultans and taxis who are fast as hell, and we've had countless laughs about the stupid police cars who get destroyed minutes after appearing, while they can hardly get off their places >:D

Imagine: I haven't even found time yet to experience a modded cab-ride, which promises to be even more spectacular :o

Now Art made a new version of the handling.dat file, with extra changes which I suspect to be even more fun and cool to play around in.

I think this modded file gives just the discreet change to the game to be fun, without endangering the original power of the game. Great w@&k Art, can't wait to try the next level modifications!! A thick fat kudo for your efforts to make this game yet again exciting ;) :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Thanks, Binnatics  :)

Please Check the description of the the first modded handling.dat where you will also find this link (v.1b) to the update.

Here you can see the white smoke trail caused by a modded cab (as would any sultan) that keeps burning rubber accelerating all the time after you told it to hurry up  ^-^
[smg id=4638 type=type=link align=center width=500 caption="GTA IV modded handling 01"]

This is the slow taxi type and one of the reasons I made the update. The game has three types of taxis but only two data sets for all of them. In order to make the other two taxis "race" and prevent this one from flipping all the time, it doesn't quite drive like the others -- no white smoke trails -- but at least it won't flip any more.
[smg id=4639 type=type=link align=center width=500 caption="GTA IV modded handling 02"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

PZ

Wow, I forgot all about modding.  That would make a PC version even more attractive.  :-X

Art Blade

most certainly. Can't play GTAIV without it any more :)

Art Blade

I installed Episodes from Liberty City again and added the modded "Peds" file from the vanilla game to the DLC. The "Peds" is a file that contain behavioural data for the Police (cops) which I had modded (see downloads, the version 1e) so that they behave like any random civilian.

If you use that file in your game, cops will no longer chase you, instead they tend to panic.. and you can beat them up like any grandma walking around next to you  :-D

PZ

Art Blade

cheers :)

Funny side effect: if you drive around at the airport which gives you I think not five but a four stars wanted level, NOOSE and police will arrive driving around there in one long massive queue or convoy, like a freight train on tyres, and won't bother you at all.  :laugh:

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

:laugh: :-X  kind of like animals in some other games - large but not threatening

Art Blade

:) a lot like all those other animals on wheels that cause traffic jams for no apparent reason. At least in this game, I can blow up about all of 'em.  >:D

OWGKID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifTIuA8Dq58  >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-D :-() :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Anybody here who have tested negative vehicle friction
LEGACY

Binnatics

Art Blade

OWGKID

Imagine this in real life  :laugh: >:D :o
LEGACY

fragger

That's hilarious :laugh: Good choice of music for it too :-X

OWGKID

The Benny Hill theme can make everything funny  :laugh: :laugh: :-D :-D
LEGACY

fragger

Yeah, it's a good accompaniment to any kind of craziness :-D

That piece is actually called "Yakety Sax" and was not in fact composed for the Benny Hill show, merely appropriated for it. It goes back a number of years before the Benny Hill shows were made, composed in 1963.

OWGKID

LEGACY

fragger

🡱 🡳