PC performance. Tips, links and so on

Started by Art Blade, November 11, 2014, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

OK, I think we're going to experience some performance problems and here we collect everything.

First off, there is a new nVidia driver out  with ACU optimisation. WHQL, version # 344.65
http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79527/en-us

keep checking for driver updates

And this here is a short vid that shows how stutter and all that occurs on a PC, what the game looks like with very low settings and so on. As long as we don't have maximum specs hardware and optimised drivers, we're going to have to tweak around some and hope for fixes in form of driver updates and patches.

The specs of the uploader are
CPU - i7 4770 3.4GHz
GPU - Asus R9 270x 2GB
HDD - 1TB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Assassin's Creed Unity R9 270x
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I'm not too far from his specs...  ^-^

Mine are

CPU - i3 3.3GHz
GPU - GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
HDD - 1TB
RAM - 8GB
OS - Windows 7 64bits

Obviously the extra GB on his GPU makes a huge difference, but I'm guessing I'll be able to run this game pretty smoothly
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Stiku

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-1BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

AMD Specific driver for the COD:AWF and AC:U.

Minimium specs were :

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit operating system required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 or AMD Radeon 7970 (2GB VRAM)

Art Blade

mine is

CPU i5 3570k @ 3.4 GHz
GPU GTX660 3GB
HDD 1TB / SSD 128GB
RAM 16GB
OS W7 Ultimate 64
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

Well, Art can be the Guinea pig for the game, then he can actually tell us, how the game performs.

Art Blade

:-D slightly below minimum, my gfx

will let you know.

nexor

Art, you and I have the same GPU, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 660 a 2GB?   :-\\

Mine is

CPU   Intel Core i5-3570K@ 3.4GHz
RAM  DDR3-Dual 32GB
GPU  NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 2GB
OS    Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
HDD  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Binnatics

I am a bit worried that Vista is not matching... I don't plan to play this game, but I bet there will be more games that leave Vista behind :-\\
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Checking the video they seem to have to drop the graphics quality a LOT in order to have smooth gameplay. What remains a bad graphics, as in REALLY bad graphics. Isn't it weird, that the game apparently delivers such bad quality to a system that is really not that old or cheap at all?

Progression in graphics quality is great, but not at all cost, I'd say. I wonder if there hadn't been a better way to deliver the game. Or maybe this is just going to be the new Crysis ;)

Edit:
Performance reviews on Steam forums; mostly negative...

[smg id=7310 align=left size=80]
Not Recommended
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

Art Blade

Nexor, there are different versions out, I do have 3GB vid ram on my GTX660 which is why I wanted that one.

Re: Reviews on steam:

The reviews started off mostly negative, now the number of reviews is increasing and at the time the number of positive reviews. However, most reviews that I saw came up about an hour after the game was released in the USA, and apparently none of them had access to nVidia's new drivers. Just as an aside, how can some people "recommend" (or not recommend) a game that they had only just fired up but not yet really played.. Then came nVidia that had access to the game so they could optimise their drivers and release them on time. Now, there's still AMD that didn't have access to the game, hence a comparatively huge disadvantage and of course they couldn't pop up with a shiny driver as quickly as nVidia. Now, those reviews reflect people with old drivers, or only nVidia-updated drivers and only then come the first AMD reviews with new drivers. So much for how come the reviews are mostly negative.

Nonetheless, a proper bad start for ACU. And all the driver stuff.. and the demanding minimum hardware.. let alone "recommended" hardware..

Hence this topic.  :)

JRD

Yet another reason for me to wait to buy this game. Too many bugs, no propper driver available, minimum specs pretty high....  ????

Nah, I'm better off getting Black Flag on sale in a couple weeks and wait until Unity is fixed and I can play it.

Besides, there's no way I'm upgrading my GPU anytime soon and I want to enjoy the visuals of the games I'm playing now.

Art Blade

JRD, you seem to have misunderstood something about the drivers -- by now, there are proper drivers available, the links both for AMD and nVidia are in this very topic :)

JRD

Ok, but still.... it sounds way buggy and desperately in need of a few patches, so I can wait until it's fixed. In the meantime I have other games I can be playing.  ;D

I just checked STEAM and the reviews popping there are really, really bad. But again, it's way too soon to complain about it.

I hope you get it all sorted out soon and enjoy your game though!  :-X

Art Blade

thanks, I will find out in approximately 6.5 hours from now (unlocks at midnight) but I don't think that I'm going to to see anything better than absolute minimum graphics settings. The hardware requirement for the graphics is extreme at this time, there won't be many people who have the recommended setup, hell, not even the minimum.

I plan to upgrade my graphics card next year, after the release of GTAV. By then, the price for a GTX980 should have dropped a little. For the new card, I will have to replace my power supply unit, too.. the rest of my PC is still good.

PZ

I wish it wasn't so dang expensive to upgrade my PC - I would love to play this game on PC with full graphics so I could record videos and take screen captures.

Art Blade

You can't upgrade that rig anymore. You need a new one. Which doesn't make it any cheaper.. :-D

PZ

That's what would make it so painful - I can do everything on it that I need to, except the more recent games - makes it very hard to justify

Art Blade

I think it's a matter of how you approach "PC" -- if you want to justify it with anything else but games, then you will never get an up-to-date gaming PC. However, if you want a PC to play games with, it can do virtually everything else, too. Only better. :-D

PZ

True, but my new console in it's entirety costs less than just a new PC graphics card.  I actually hooked the PS4 to my computer monitor, so I can game and have things running on the PC at the same time.  I think it will be a long while before I'm motivated to purchase a new gaming PC  :-()

Art Blade

PZ

:o ???

The articles are reporting huge problems on all platforms!

Maybe I'm not far enough in to the game to have experienced anything bad because everything is working perfectly.

It does remind me of the FC2 release - people had all kinds of problems, and reported all kinds of glitches, none of which hit me.  They did patch after patch, and all that accomplished for me was to make the game worse.

Art Blade

I'll be allowed to unlock the game in about 80 minutes

PZ

Very nice of them to allow you to play the game  :bow

Art Blade

best thing: "unlocks November 12" -- it actually unlocks November 12 + 24 hours.

And regarding all those performance problems on all platforms, makes one wonder what platform and specs they were using when developing that game. And, whether those QA actually tested it or just wrote a sci-fi novel when it came to reporting the test results.

Tags:
🡱 🡳