Second time smoking cheese

Started by PZ, August 03, 2013, 08:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Well, we repositioned the smoker and did some more cheese.  Using pecan, we smoked for 2 hours with the temperature not rising above 95F.  I did not connect the power wire to the smoker to prevent any current from reaching the main heating element.  I learned my lesson from the first cheese smoke and cut these into approximately 2.5-inch thick chunks to get good smoke penetration, but not too much.

Also, ice in the bottom pan proved very helpful to keep the temperature from rising too far.  One of these days I'll purchase some dryer vent and build an isolation box to truly deliver cold smoke.  :)

Here's the cheese list:

• Top rack: muenster on the left and goat cheese in the foil
  • Middle rack: pepper jack on the left and Gouda on the right
  • Bottom rack: more Gouda (left) and muenster (right)

We put the Bradley on the side counter of the grill - it fit perfectly.  It is so much easier to w@&k with the smoker when it is at counter height - no more hands-and-knees!

Done smoking: a friend gave me a huge muenster log to smoke and I cut it into 2.5-inch thick pieces - the ends are on the left.  A couple of goat cheese logs are on the right.

The pepper jack is on the left and Gouda on the right.

We spread a bit of smoked goat cheese on bread my wife baked this morning - it was absolutely delicious.

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Thanks mandru; the Bradley smoker allows the home BBQ enthusiast cooking flexibility to do almost anything low and slow.  The down side is that it cannot generate temperatures higher than about 250F, and does not develop the highly desired smoke ring seen in the best BBQ.

Art Blade

amazing, PZ  :)

I see there's still room on that deck for an ice cream machine and a popcorn machine. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh:

I'm actually thinking about this baby

I love the idea of fried turkey, but balk at the oil consumption.  This might be just the ticket

mandru

PZ I've shown your culinary exploits to Mrs. mandru as you've posted them.  When she saw these smoked cheeses she asked "So when's he having an open house?"

I told her you and Mrs. Pz regularly have a small circle of friends over for dining as you guys are part of a progressive dinner party and the 9mm tableware setting we've seen at the breakfast table makes drop in's out of the question.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

fragger

:laugh:

That's an awesome setup PZ :-X I can't help but be inspired by your culinary expoilts! You da cook :-D

PZ

Thanks fragger; we do love to cook, and I guess that is a sign of age.  The older we become the more we like food.  I guess old age and wide bodies go hand-in-hand, kind of like a 1958 Cadillac  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

🡱 🡳