No Man's Sky - Screen captures

Started by PZ, August 17, 2016, 10:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Post your favorite adventure screen captures here  ^-^

Art Blade

[smg id=8964 type=preview align=center caption="new beginning"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

No fauna = no fricking carnivore predators that try to ruin your day when you least expect it or when you are weakest.

PEACE! :)

[smg id=8965 type=preview align=center caption="alone in paradise"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Art Blade

thank you. :) It is perfect. Lots of resources, no enemies, "relaxed" drones (they more or less leave you alone, perhaps they check what you destroyed but don't bother anyway) and shallow lakes, rich fauna, nice temperature, very nice climate actually. And, you can sell the stuff at something like an ATM. stuff your stuff in, get stuffed with money in return. PERFECT  :-D

[smg id=8966 type=preview align=center caption="money maker"]

PZ

Art Blade

No -- at least not yet. That likely has got to do with the fact that I had to start a new career and this is still my home system. It seems as if jumping out of the system triggered pirate activity but I don't know that for sure. Previous reports of our members here and from my own experience I think that once you did your third jump, you trigger the post-beginner's stage of the game and by that the pirate activity.

On this paradise moon, I can walk all the time and explore without having to worry about anything.  ^-^
[smg id=8967 type=preview align=center caption="passers-by"]

PZ

That is encouraging!  :-X

I put the game on my Steam wish list, but will probably wait for a little bit

Art Blade

Yep.. and good idea. :) Go get it :)

The planet I started on this time was horrible, I left it as quickly as I could -- there were TWO carnivore aggressive species ruining my day whenever possible. I traded a little on the space station and then I decided to get upgrades (to be found on planets) but to stay in my home system. I saw a moon and thought, hey, I've never been on the.. er, any, moon and found this paradise. I have been walking ever since I landed. The moon also sports nice cave systems with shallow water here and there. I find all the resources needed to survive and leisurely travel on foot, enjoying day and night times on my way and the drones are more like companions than flying nuisances  :-D

[smg id=8968 type=preview align=center caption="underworld"]

PZ

It does sound like the perfect game for an explorer (minus the pirates and drones of course)

Is a "home system" different for everyone like the rest of the universe?

fragger

PZ, yes, everybody starts with a different system and planet, with different environments and weather conditions. I get the impression that everybody starts in a system with just one planet, or one planet with a moon. Mine was just a single planet without a moon.

I didn't see this thread and I posted a whole bunch of caps in the old one. So I moved them here where I think it's more appropriate, since they're just piccies and not illustrative of anything important in the game, just a sampling of the diversity of the game's worlds and environments. I had to pick and choose - so many fantastic scenes present themselves that I can't help but grab screenies of them :-() Some of the landscapes and scenery in the game wouldn't look out of place on the covers of science fiction novels.

[smg id=8948 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8949 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8950 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8951 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8952 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8953 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8954 align=center width=600]
[smg id=8955 align=center width=600]

Dweller_Benthos

The system I started in has four planets. The main one I started on, and three smaller ones. I suppose two of those could be considered moons of the main one, as they are fairly close, but the fourth is pretty far away, it took a good 2 minutes under warp to get there, and it's cold. Most of my time last night was spent on one of the other moons which was pretty barren, so nothing really to take pics of, but this place has nice trees:

[smg id=8969 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Cold"]

As you can see from my temperature shield, it will be hard to do anything on this planet without better thermal protection, which I don't know how to make yet.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Make sure you check out any "damaged machinery" you come across. These look like a spaceship part (they all look the same) and usually have smoke coming out of them. You would have seen one at your start location. You get upgrades, or rather blueprints, for all sorts of things including Life Support improvements from them, one of which gives you added protection in cold conditions (there's also a heat one and a radiation one, and some others). They won't eliminate the draining of your Life Support power from the cold, but they'll slow it down quite a bit.

The damaged machinery things are sometimes found at locations you discover, and sometimes you come across them out in the landscape.

PZ

Thanks fragger, D_B  :-X

Nice pics by the way

Art Blade

I started out anew several times. I always had like a handful of planets in my systems. This current career has got quite a few, even with at least one moon -- look at the orange screenshot I posted earlier
pic is here: ShowHide
[smg id=8965 type=preview align=center caption="alone in paradise"]

Art Blade

I checked on my discovery menu, this current system has got 3 planets and 1 moon.  :)

The Plonk Planet (its original name Aguahiksont somehow reminded me of nothing despite the word "agua" in it which is Spanish for "water," so I gave it a more meaningful name) is the 2nd planet in my home system. It is somehow draining my life system's energy quite quickly despite "clear" weather, "empty" fauna (thanks for that) and "lacking" flora. However, its "low security" drones want to drain it even quicker. I provoked them by dematerialising a plutonium crystal right under their noses and they did mind. I was of a mind to ease their minds by blowing their brains out, and it helped. I even got a blueprint out of a container which one of those drones dropped while disintegrating. Cheers, mate.  :-D

[smg id=8973 type=preview align=center caption="plonk planet"]
[smg id=8975 type=preview align=center caption="vista club"]

Here a pic from above. Those tiny bright stripes come form the engines of a couple of ships flying around in circles, around the location I was in when sending up a signal (which was when I took the screenshot)

[smg id=8974 type=preview align=center caption="burnt pizza"]

From above, the surface looks like.. like.. You know PZ likes his pizzas "crisp?" (avoiding the bad word "burnt") and it looked like I imagine he'd love his pizza to look like. :-()

terribly sorry, PZ  8-X :laugh:

fragger

lol "Plonk Planet" :laugh:

Hmm, plonk and pizza... sounds like a nice night in :-()

When there's a few planets in a system I give them names to help me remember which is which. It's hard to remember what a planet has to offer when it's called something like"Beiganagel Mottislan". I've given up naming the animals - it was fun for a while but I got sick of coming up with names for them. Not much point when I'll never see them again once I leave the system. Anyway, I ran out of creative ideas :-\\

Boy, there was one planet where everything was nasty. As soon as I got out of the ship a huge thing like a dinosaur with an anteater's snout ran straight at me. He was so big that he was still able to get a whack in while I was jetpacking upwards to get away. Fortunately I was able to land on my ship and scramble inside before he got another hit in. Then a short time later I got stung by a big insectoid creature, which I never even saw coming and which took half my health in one go. Not long after that, I scanned an animal from a distance that was analyzed as hostile and a meat-eater.

I didn't stay long on that world. On top of the vicious wildlife, it was dark, forbidding, and bloody freezing.

Art Blade

:-D yeah, I hate all and any predators. I want to walk around peacefully.

Oh, my moon, there is one fricking plant that has a tentacle like an elephant's snout and is rolled up and down on the ground. If you get closer, it slaps you and gives you quite a start. And takes some health, too. It is made of carbon but the mining laser doesn't do anything to it, you need to photon-cannon it to bits and pieces, and it can take in quite a few of those photons before it blows up.

fragger

I've run into those, they seem to pop up on some planets. Evidently they're not generated by an algorithm, they pop up on a number of worlds. I've seen I think three planets so far with them on it. Thankfully they're few and far between, but they still suck :-\\ Sometimes you get a warning if you're moving towards one, it'll glow like it's something you can pick up. Only you don't want to try :-() You don't always seem to get that warning however, and if you don't, they're hard to spot - you usually don't notice them coiled up in the foliage until you get whapped.

fragger

My shiny new toy - my 10-slot Multitool, with #3 Scanner and Railshot adapter for the Boltcaster, five-year warranty and complimentary lens-cleaning kit.
[smg id=8976 align=center width=600]

Now I can chew through those locked doors in jig time... I've also scored a blueprint for a homing shot module, but don't yet have the necessary resources to craft it. Just you wait, you horrid little floating Sentinels! Ducking around won't save you now...

I had to go out and play with it. I call this piece Sculpture Moderne par Photon.
[smg id=8977 align=center width=600]

This is my current ride which I got from the Vy'keen, landing itself after being called from the Trading Post. Such a clever spaceship.
[smg id=8978 align=center width=600]

She's been a reliable workhorse (despite chucking me into orbit from time to time) but I've got my eye on a sleeker model. There's good-looking Korvax ship which I've seen, but I'm trying to get hold of a 30-slot one. They've mostly been 29-slotters so far but I've seen a 32-slot one. Sooner or later I'll get lucky.

Art Blade

fragger, if you have got a range boost sigma (+2) blueprint for your nice-looking multi-tool, slap it on as well as they are additive. You can try by using the scanner before installing it and then, without moving, adding the second booster and scan again. I tried it out that way. You should all of a sudden see a lot more icons popping up that had been out of range before. :)

fragger

Thanks mate :) I can't remember if I've got that, will look next time I'm in.

Dweller_Benthos

I've never had the glitch to orbit problem, but it seems each person has their own problem with this game, much like each planet is unique, each user has a unique bug to deal with.

I was watching a video where someone mentioned that putting upgrades on things makes them w@&k better if the upgrade is next to the main thing it's upgrading in the slot layout. Not sure if that's true or not, haven't seen it anywhere else and didn't bother googling it yet. But fragger's pic of his new mining tool brought it to mind, as the beam upgrades should all be adjacent to the main mining beam, plasma grenades all next to each other, etc. So I rearranged mine to be that way, though you can't move the main item, so you sometimes have to juggle them around. Same goes for things on ships, your photon upgrades should be adjacent to the photon cannon, etc. This is why the arrangement of the slots in the inventory is important, to be able to have these things close to each other, as the pictures of them in the inventory all have the same border color, they should all be next to each other. Again, just saw that in the one video, no idea how much truth there is to it, but this guy usually knows his stuff when it comes to that sort of thing.

On to the screenies:

[smg id=8979 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Better"]

This one may look a lot like the one I posted above, and it is the same planet, but I added some mods that change how things look, see if you can figure them out. Might need to compare the large images side-by-side.

[smg id=8980 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Elephchicken"]

Procedural generation at it's best, front half of an elephant, back legs of a chicken, and it walks upright on those spindly things. Funny as heck.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Put related stuff together in the inventories, eh? Interesting... I'll give that a go. But don't you have to disassemble things like weapon mods then reassemble them? I didn't think you could drag things like upgrades and equipment between slots, only collectibles.

I can spot one difference in the modded picture, the directional icons around the sides. I think I prefer that format :-X

Art Blade

I always did place upgrades next to their according main item and all of the matching slots get a glowing border of the same colour.

🡱 🡳