No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, April 11, 2016, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on August 27, 2016, 05:43:10 AM
Well, at least as long as mmosu doesn't start to overtake us, that is.

Yep, figured something like that was coming  >:(

You're right though, it really isn't. I'm looking at NMS as what I'm planning on filling the days with in between Destiny expansions, and since there's a big one coming up in a couple weeks, I'm in prep mode right now- stocking up on resources and being sure I've checked everything off of my list for this chapter of the game before it moves on to the next. I'll be back on NMS soon, but to be perfectly honest, that last pirate encounter left a really bad taste in my mouth  :angry-new:

Art Blade

yes, I think no one here so far likes pirates.

What seems to w@&k is to stay in the first system and for what I can say, I have tested several times, jumping up to 8 times between the first and second system never triggered pirates.  There will be a distress signal in space about the 5th or so jump, but even if you get caught in the middle, don't fire and just ignore them. I got hit but not wrecked. I was able to conduct my business at the spasta (space station.. shorter) and jump away. The distress signal disappeared. After the 8th jump between those two systems I quit the test without ever seeing any pirates.

Wanna start over? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I don't want to jump in to a system and quickly jump out again, I'll probably want to explore among the system's planets without getting attacked every time I travel between them. When the pirates' target is you and not the freighters (not a distress call mission) you can't ignore them - they'll doggedly follow you all the way into a planet's atmosphere.

The devs definitely overdid the pirate attacks, way too many of them. The first attack I copped was in the very first system I jumped to after the start one. It was just one fighter which I tangled with and shot down, and I thought it was actually pretty cool, believing it was something that might happen once in a while. I didn't realise that from then on I would have to go through that practically every time I went into space. It got old pretty darned quick.

Some sort of pirate frequency setting for the game would have been nice, but the devs seem to think that everybody wants lots of combat.

Dweller_Benthos

So strange, I just made the first jump to a new system, and no pirates. Completely random thing, and you just go unlucky?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I think fragger triggered it by (if accidentally) shooting up a freighter. And the second time by getting involved in that distress signal space battle, if I remember correctly. Which is indeed unlucky, both times.

I have my current career and have spent a lot of time in my 2nd system, going from and to planets and the spasta, never saw a pirate. I did at least two if not three independent tests, starting from the first system, and did several jumps, the highest count was 8. Albeit, I only jumped between the first and second system. However, no pirates, ever. Only once a space battle, that bloody distress signal in mid-space.. I got shot at but it may have been stray bullets as the battle just rushed past me and stayed there, waiting for me to join which I refused to do. I was able to land in the spasta, even trade with the pilots, and get out to jump to the other system again. The distress signal was gone, no pirates. Jumped away and back, no pirates. Reverted to my current career again.  No pirates.

I think not attacking anything might be the key at least in the first two systems to avoid triggering pirates.

Oh and fragger.. if pirates keep getting at you.. maybe a change of your aftershave will do the trick  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

:-D

No, I did nothing to trigger the first attack - that episode with the freighter was about three systems later. I jumped into the first system after leaving my start one, went to the station, then went to the nearby planet for a while. I then flew to another planet further away, and about halfway there I got the "Hostile Scan" message. Got taken out of Pulse and had to mix it up with a single pirate ship in the middle of space. From that point on, every second or third flight would include a pirate attack, and every second or third attack, the number of pirate ships would increase by one until I was having to deal with four of them at once. And the attacks became more frequent, until every trip through space would involve an attack.

I read elsewhere on the net that the more cargo you carry, the more of a target for pirates you make yourself. I don't know if that's true or not, but I think not as when I was in that system I would be attacked regardless of what I had on board.

In my new system I've had a few interplanetary flights without being attacked. Maybe some systems are more prone to attacks than others and I was just unlucky the first time, but in that game no matter which system I went to I would get attacked frequently. Maybe it was a bad part of the Galaxy :-() Or maybe it's race-related. I've gone from one Korvax system straight to another, haven't met the Gek or the Vy'keen yet in this game.

Speaking of galaxies, are we all even in the same one? I'm in a galaxy called "Euclid". It tells you the galaxy name in one of the pop-ups somewhere, maybe when you land on a new planet or in the Galactic map, I can't remember exactly. I thought there was only the one galaxy that everybody played in, but maybe that's not the case.

Art Blade

yes, I read Euclid as well.

fragger

Okay :)

I've been in this new system for a while and made a number of trips between planets, and haven't seen any pirates (touch wood).

I was thinking about the space stations. Here's this gigantic thing with just one opening to fly your ship into, you enter and fly down quite a long passage to the docking area way inside the depths of the station. Yet you then go up one level, down a short corridor, and suddenly you're in a room with a window looking outside ???? It's like the Tardis in reverse.

Art Blade

nice. :-() Just like the math geniuses who created the buyer/seller percentages.

Example: In your inventory, you'll see the actual average price, like 27,000 for those resonators.

When you buy them for say, +1.4% over average, they cost around 33,000. When you buy or sell them for say, +103% above average, the price is some 55,000.

Well, yes..  ???? ^-^

or worse, sell an atlas ball for around 65,000 but buy one for around 2,200,000. MAKES SENSE :D

Binnatics

:laugh:

Yesterday I met another pilot on a planet and he had one of these atlas balls. I thought "Wow, this is a once-in-a-playthrough-chance to buy something super-duper unique" and paid the price. When I went checking if it was still in my inventory (I thought it might have disappeared same as the original ball we get when we start the game) I saw the lousy 64k and thought "What the F*.... reload!" :D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

hehe yeah, during my first career I was given an atlas ball for free and only then saw it was worth nothing if you wanted to sell it compared to the price when you wanted to buy it.

🡱 🡳