Modified my wife's pellet grill and had to do a packer brisket

Started by PZ, March 27, 2016, 01:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Separated the flat from the point, and trimmed most of the fat, which was rendered to make burnt ends. The cook took most of the day, but it was worth it - turns one of the toughest cuts of the cow into mouth watering tender deliciousness.  Here's the album (if you click the "i" when in the album you'll see the comments)

https://goo.gl/photos/9XFmioFgPu54reqm9

nexor

Damn mate, it looks fantastic !!!!!!
I'm drooling......... ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks gents - it was the best brisket I have ever done, and better than I have had in a restaurant is as long as I can remember.

Binnatics

The outside of the meat looks really lovely and damn tasty.  :) :-X But the inside has a weird colour; inside is beige, while the outside is red ????

Can you explain that colour?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

The outside is red due to a chemical reaction between wood smoke and the meat - a sign of BBQ. The inside looks the way it does because it is well done rather than rare.  Brisket is one of the toughest cuts of meat in the cow and it take a low and slow cook to make it tender. What you see in the pics is tender enough so that you need not even use a knife - you can simply fork the meat apart as if cutting warm butter.

I can honestly say that a person without teeth can eat brisket like this without any problems  ^-^

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Wow, that makes the picture complete to me.  :-X :)
Funny effect that the meat turns red. You think that is the same what happens in the tandori ovens when they make these red chicken wings? I've always been puzzled by that colour too...
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Art Blade

Binnatics, the tandoori chicken is essentially just only painted red, not as a result of cooking. Curcuma and paprika and chili is responsible for the colour  :)

Binnatics

Art Blade

you're the only veggie turned carnivore I've ever known. You are excused  :-D

fragger

I'm a bit late responding, but yumyumyumyumyum... Want meat, want meat now ^-^

Nice to see you making good use of the new(ish) kitchen PZ :-X How are you finding that since the reno?

PZ

We really like it, fragger  :-X

There is way more cabinet space, and all the lines are lines up. For instance the fridge we have iw way larger than the fridges available when the house was built in the 70's.  Our new fridge stuck out in the walk way, and it is way wider than the two cabinets above. The reno guy suggested that new cabinets rather than just new face fronts would allow him to completely redesign the look and feel, and boy was he right.  We just did face front replacements on the bar area, and although it looks the same as the rest of the kitchen, the drawers are the same old junky ones from the 70's.  Also, lowering the breakfast bar to surface level gives us a huge surface are to w@&k with.

All in all, we new have a fully modern kitchen  ^-^

Going to fire up the outdoor pizza oven today - the first time since I started the stucco process last fall.

Tags:
🡱 🡳