Movies set in Europe

Started by PZ, June 14, 2012, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on June 23, 2012, 03:40:49 AM
"they" not "you"  ^-^

:laugh: :-X

... although that did earn you a kudo, Fiach!

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

A free membership to OWG  :angel:

PZ

Just watched [imdb]The Way[/imdb], an excellent film set in Europe. 

Quote"The Way" is a powerful and inspirational story about family, friends, and the challenges we face while navigating this ever-changing and complicated world. Martin Sheen plays Tom, an American doctor who comes to St. Jean Pied de Port, France to collect the remains of his adult son (played by Emilio Estevez), killed in the Pyrenees in a storm while walking the Camino de Santiago, also known as The Way of Saint James. Rather than return home, Tom decides to embark on the historical pilgrimage to honor his son's desire to finish the journey. What Tom doesn't plan on is the profound impact the journey will have on him and his "California Bubble Life". Inexperienced as a trekker, Tom soon discovers that he will not be alone on this journey. On his journey, Tom meets other pilgrims from around the world, each with their own issues and looking for greater meaning in their lives.

My favorite line:  "if it ain't Dutch, it ain't much..."

Another good pair of lines:

"you gonna make it fat man?"

"don't you worry about me, old man..."

Fiach

I watched The Way, again, a bit slow moving for my taste, but I really like Martin Sheene, apparently he did it as a favour to his son who directed it.

There is one part of the movie, where Martin is putting a pinch of ashes on a fence post and the dutch guy walks up and .... I fully expected the dutch guy to snort the ashes thinking they were cocaine!... >:D

So, yeah, maybe I have weird taste in movies :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

PZ

Jim di Griz

Adding to the Irish made films mentioned so far, I can really recommend The Guard.

Brendan Gleeson doing another great performance as a Guard (Police officer) just going on about his life in Connemara when the FBI send Don Cheadle over to co-ordinate a big drug smuggler bust. Gleeson is quite the character in this.

The scenery is all there and more importantly the character portrayals are really fine as is the situational awareness. I used to live in Galway where this is based nearby and Brendan has got the Spiddal accent spot on. It made me feel all nostalgic - great film.

IMDB
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

PZ

Sounds like one filled with adventure  ;)

Art Blade

I've got to keep an eye out for this one, cheers  :laugh: :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳